• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unfairly targeted about harrasement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joebraun

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pa

For several weeks a coworker and I have had freindly banter but recently there has been a change. Several actions by this coworker has made me aware that there could be a problem.

At a recent offsite lunch this coworker told a story (in front of myself and our other coworkers) about how another employee asked personal questions and later that employee was terminated.
Also that coworker blocked me on facebook without any reason other than I visited the coworkers facebook page. I did not even send a freind request to the "coworker" .

Honestly I do not know what has prompted these actions. No harrasement has taken place. The coworker has not said anything to me such as "I am not comfortable about ..." I am worried this coworker has chosen me to impress other coworkers with a show of "power" to have me disciplined or terminated at the coworkers will ....

My question is what should I do. Should I write a letter of apology? Should I contact my human resource dept to explain my story? Should I engage legal council?
Obviously I have stopped all communication with this coworker.

Any advice on my next steps would be greatly appreciated.

pattytx

Do nothing other than what you've already done. This co-worker evidently has some axe to grind with you and anything you do further could be misinterpreted.

Leave it alone and it's likely it will die down eventually.

commentator

Trying to read and understand. There has been "friendly banter" meaning maybe, flirtation? As in you are of opposite genders, or same gender but flirting?

In any case, if there is no fire, it's going to be tough to keep fanning the smoke. Don't have lunch offsite with this coworker. Stay away from this person on Facebook. Stay away from this person at work and do not talk about this situation to other co-workers, and it will die.

Beth3

My question is what should I do. Should I write a letter of apology? Should I contact my human resource dept to explain my story? Should I engage legal council?

Whoa. You're getting way ahead of the situation. Don't do any of the above.

I don't suggest you snub this co-worker but limit communication to a pleasant "hi" when you happen to encounter him or her and leave it at that. I agree with the other two responders. Keep your distance, don't fan the flames, and the situation should die a natural death.

joebraun

Thank You

Do nothing other than what you've already done. This co-worker evidently has some axe to grind with you and anything you do further could be misinterpreted.

Leave it alone and it's likely it will die down eventually.
Your advice is very much apprecited. I will follow your advice.
Thanks

joebraun

Thanks

Trying to read and understand. There has been "friendly banter" meaning maybe, flirtation? As in you are of opposite genders, or same gender but flirting?

In any case, if there is no fire, it's going to be tough to keep fanning the smoke. Don't have lunch offsite with this coworker. Stay away from this person on Facebook. Stay away from this person at work and do not talk about this situation to other co-workers, and it will die.
Yes the coworker is the opposite sex. The "banter" was not even flirting just joking about common things. There were things about our personal lives that are common intrests but I do have to say this person seems like a good person but very sensitive and may have has a bad experience with other people before so I will heed your advice.
Thanks

joebraun

Thanks

Whoa. You're getting way ahead of the situation. Don't do any of the above.

I don't suggest you snub this co-worker but limit communication to a pleasant "hi" when you happen to encounter him or her and leave it at that. I agree with the other two responders. Keep your distance, don't fan the flames, and the situation should die a natural death.

Thank you I will follow your advice. I appreciate it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">