• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unfairness & Favoritism in the workplace

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P B

(California)
I work for a small company (<200 employees) in the tech industry. Our department (Network Ops) was newly formed a little over a year ago consisting of 1 manager (Female Asian American) and 6 engineers (males) assigned to 24x7, 365 days/yr shiftwork (Sun-Wed/Wed-Sat: Dayshift, Swingshift, Graveshift). Recently, one of my fellow engineers (Engineer A, male Asian American) were recently promoted to "Team Lead" which the majority of the team found questionable due to the "closeness" and a display of favoritism that has grown over the year between our manager and Engineer A.

This "relationship" has resulted in negative consequences and animosity within the team. One of which resulted the departure and resignation of our other fellow engineers (Engineer B, African American). One example is when the Engineer A and Engineer B encountered a work-related disagreement, and our manager pulled Engineer B off to the side asking if he had a personal issue with Engineer A and immediately asked "do you want to take this to HR?" and threats such as reminding Engineer B that "this job is at-will".

From my standpoint, I question the merit of Engineer A's recent promotion. This because I, out of the entire team, have completed the most tasks (in excess of 3x more and documented) out of everyone else in the team. I say this not to brag, but to mention in comparison. Another instance not too long ago, I overheard my manager and Engineer A borrowing her timeshare for his vacation. I, and all remaining engineers, feel that this act of favoritism and "close relationship" has gone too far. This has raised many red flags for the rest of the team and hence, my inquiry. Thanks in advance for your help.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
There is nothing illegal about the manager playing favorites with her boyfriend.

eerelations

Agree. Based on what you've posted, your manager promoted Engineer A because he is her boyfriend, not because he is Asian American. Promoting him because he is her boyfriend is not illegal, simply because there are no laws prohibiting employers from promoting employees with whom they have special relationships.

There are also no laws requiring employers to promote the best qualified employees. Employers are legally free to promote whoever they wish to promote, up to and including the least qualified.

This sounds harsh, and I'm sure it's not what you want to hear. However, I don't intend to be harsh, I am just explaining the law to you as it stands.

justalayman

This "relationship" has resulted in negative consequences and animosity within the team. One of which resulted the departure and resignation of our other fellow engineers (Engineer B, African American). One example is when the Engineer A and Engineer B encountered a work-related disagreement, and our manager pulled Engineer B off to the side asking if he had a personal issue with Engineer A and immediately asked "do you want to take this to HR?" and threats such as reminding Engineer B that "this job is at-will".
since you are aware engineer A receives special consideration, I would suggest your practice sucking up to engineer A or plan on finding work elsewhere. It sucks to work in a situation where there is blatant favoritism but as the others have said; it isn't illegal. If the workplace is this troubled, it sounds like it's time for a new employer.

P B

since you are aware engineer A receives special consideration, I would suggest your practice sucking up to engineer A or plan on finding work elsewhere. It sucks to work in a situation where there is blatant favoritism but as the others have said; it isn't illegal. If the workplace is this troubled, it sounds like it's time for a new employer.
Thank you all for your responses. Like justalayman said... time to move on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">