• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

union contract not being followed and union doesn't help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Reddy

What is the name of your state? CA.
Hi,
The hotel i work for is not following our union contract and our union does nothing about it.
I was demoted 5 mos. ago for missing 2 shifts. Others have done the same , but have not been demoted. Anyway, i chose to continue working.........in hopes i could work back to my senority spot. Our contract states that we need 18 servers, but in no event less than 15 servers"......currently we have a server out sick (until oct.) and another server has been on a diff position. for the past mo. We only have 14 available servers!
My union does NOTHING except stall. What can i do? Doesn't a union contract mean anything? I have paid $40 mo. for 8 yrs-it seems like a waste of money now. I just want my position back, any advice on how to accomplish that?
Thank u in advance for ANY tips.

Beth3

You have two options: (1) next time your local holds elections for union officials, vote the current leadership out of office; (2) look for a different job.

R

Reddy

Reddy said:
What is the name of your state? CA.
Hi,
The hotel i work for is not following our union contract and our union does nothing about it.
I was demoted 5 mos. ago for missing 2 shifts. Others have done the same , but have not been demoted. Anyway, i chose to continue working.........in hopes i could work back to my senority spot. Our contract states that we need 18 servers, but in no event less than 15 servers"......currently we have a server out sick (until oct.) and another server has been on a diff position. for the past mo. We only have 14 available servers!
My union does NOTHING except stall. What can i do? Doesn't a union contract mean anything? I have paid $40 mo. for 8 yrs-it seems like a waste of money now. I just want my position back, any advice on how to accomplish that?
Thank u in advance for ANY tips.

R

Reddy

Look for a new job? I'm not ready to leave this one-YET! Don't u believe in fighting back? I'm not always right, but when i am(like now) i can't just give up. Besides, it's rare that i actually like my job-as i do w/ this one.
Any ideas on who i can contact? Like maybe their regional office?Barron Hilton, himself? Or, ?????????????

Beth3

Your issue isn't with company management, it's with your union representation who are taking your dues and doing nothing for you. (Okay, my bias is about to show but that's no big surprise.) At least your employer pays YOU, not visa versa.

I guess you can always contact your regional union headquarters and let them know of your dissatisfaction with the way your local leadership is handling things.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">