• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Usps

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lezell01

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I am a USPS Postal Worker. I was given a 14 suspension while on an approved FMLA leave. Due to this suspension I was fired from my job. I need advice on how to file a charge/complaint against the post office for violating FMLA. Any suggestions??What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I am a USPS Postal Worker. I was given a 14 suspension while on an approved FMLA leave. Due to this suspension I was fired from my job. I need advice on how to file a charge/complaint against the post office for violating FMLA. Any suggestions??What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

FLMA does NOT protect you from being fired for something you would ordinarily be fired for if you weren't on FMLA.

However, since you're apparently Union, you need to consult with your Union rep.

lezell01

Approved FMLA protects you from losing your job for taking time off due to your medical condition. It is supposed to protect you from being fired. If you are approved for the time off, how can they fire you for taking the time off they approved? My Union will not help me. Does anyone know what I can do?

Proserpina

Approved FMLA protects you from losing your job for taking time off due to your medical condition. It is supposed to protect you from being fired. If you are approved for the time off, how can they fire you for taking the time off they approved? My Union will not help me. Does anyone know what I can do?

You said that you were suspended - why were you suspended?

lezell01

I was suspended for what they claim was taking time off. However the time they say I took off was time that was covered and APPROVED time off under my FMLA. As a result of that suspension they terminated my employment. Again that is why you fill out the FMLA forms and have them approved so they can not impose punishment or terminate your employment. Again my Union has dropped the ball and will not help me. Any suggestions on how I can file something for the blatant violation of FMLA? Again I live in Michigan.

swalsh411

First of all please stop telling us what FMLA does. I guarantee you that the regular volunteers here know it better then you do because if you were more knowledgeable you wouldn't be posting here.

You are incorrect that FMLA means you cannot be fired while you are on leave. You can still be fired for something you would have been fired for anyway. (poor performance, misconduct, job eliminated).

Now then, when was the first date of your FMLA protected leave and when did you take this supposedly unauthorized time off that you were fired for?

lezell01

usps

It is obvious that you are unaware of what FMLA is. Yes it was designed to protect one from losing there job due to medical issues. Look it up on the official website. I keep stating what FMLA is as it is apparent that you do not know what it is or you would not have stated what you did.

I was approved and off work for medical reasons (Family Medical Leave Act). that would be the M in FMLA. Obviously management missed the fact I was on FMLA when they suspended me for the approved time off, now they won't reverse it and terminated my employment. Since management terminated my employment the Union won't help as I am not an employee.

I posted to find true help from someone who was sincere, not from someone who wants to argue. Maybe someone who has gone through or is going through a similar situation. If you have no offers of sincere help, why don't you keep your opinions to yourself. The website is FreeAdvice. I joined thinking I would get HELP not what you provided, which was antagonistic, mean, and argumentative. I hope you find some inner peace and quit posting your total disregard and lack of compassion to the many people you are hurting.

lezell01

usps

Thank you for your sincere assistance. I did contact the DOL and they do not handle federal postal worker claims as they stated the post office has their own internal way of handling such claims. They directed me to my union to file a grievance but since the post office terminated my employment the union will not help. I contacted the DOL back to let them know and they stated to get something in writing from the union stating they would/could not help and then get back with them. I did just that and again the union will provide me nothing. I am seriously at a loss.

Beth3

Since management terminated my employment the Union won't help as I am not an employee.

What do you mean, you are not an employee? :confused: Please clarify your comment.

tranquility

It seems like a few questions were ignored by the OP. The question is asked requiring specific information (like dates and such) and the OP replies with some general repeating of what was already said and some rubbish trying to explain FMLA.

I know next to nothing about FMLA workings, but I know everything which has been mentioned so far in this thread. That makes me think the people who ACTUALLY WORK IN HR who answer here might know at least that too.

OP, from the way you are answering, I bet you know what is being asked and why and are choosing not to answer. When such intentional obfuscation happens and those trying to help you get insulted for not just accepting the rubbish as fact, I'm not sure what you hope to accomplish here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">