• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vacation/is this legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chickenlittle10

Is this legal

I took a Muslim holiday and asked for that time off, my supervisors made t quite hard but all in all I did get it off. Fast forward to this week I saw 8 hours of my vacation time was taken away for that day. My supervisors are now saying if I want that time back I need to bring in documentation of that day and they'll consider it? Is this legal?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Quite legal. Nothing in the law says you can't be required to use vacation time when you take a day off for religious reasons. If they are even considering giving you the vacation time back, that's more than they are required to do.

Stephen1

Employers get to decide what days are workdays and what days people may take off. In the U.S. there aren't any guaranteed holidays. In fact, except for a few jobs, there is no requirement for you ever having a day off. Think about all those retail stores that are open on MLK Jr. Day, Presidents Day, Good Friday, Easter, Memorial Day, etc.

I believe that employers should publish their policies including which days are allowed holidays. But not all do. I also believe that employees should read those policies. But not all do.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Employers get to decide what days are workdays and what days people may take off. In the U.S. there aren't any guaranteed holidays. In fact, except for a few jobs, there is no requirement for you ever having a day off. Think about all those retail stores that are open on MLK Jr. Day, Presidents Day, Good Friday, Easter, Memorial Day, etc.

I believe that employers should publish their policies including which days are allowed holidays. But not all do. I also believe that employees should read those policies. But not all do.
While true, it really doesn't address the actual question, namely, can the employer apply vacation hours towards this time off? (The answer is "yes")

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">