• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

verbal abuse & health discrimation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

fumangin

What is the name of your state? georgia

i resigned my position as office manager tonight after yet another verbal abuse bashing from my former employers. i have endured 5 yrs of this treatment and could no longer handel the stress and emotional pain. i was confronted about medications i take for depression (this illness was openly discolsed to my employers on many occasions and they were well aware of the meds i take) and told i was felt to not be mentally and emotionaly stable enough to do my job. i have preformed my job to the very best of my abilities while handeling my depression with medication. i am on the medications to treat emotinal problems due to the inhumane verbal and emotional abuse i and many others have suffered at the hands and mouths of our employers. my question is do i have a case aganist my former employers for this abuse and the discrimation against me for medication i take due to the hostil work enviroment they created.

Lori Chatham
GA

S

Sinsaint26

If your employer was just being a jerk that is not illegal. If he was making fun of you because of your medical condition or medications that could be a different story. You said you went on the medications because of the "hostile work environment they created". Can you give us specific examples of what was happening that made you start taking medication and what exactly has been said to you since taking the medications?

F

fumangin

examples

i was forced to deliver threats to other employees while my boss stood over me and dictated to me what to say.

99% of repremands invloved profanity, screaming, banging her hands on my desk and telling me that if i did not do as i was told that "your ass will be gone, you'll no longer be here"

i was forced to clean up dog feces and urine.

i was sexually harassed by my male boss and a male employee, they pointed at my breasts and made grabbing motions, they would try to throw paper balls doen my blouse.

i was told numerous time si was stupid and had no common sense, i was degraded on a daliy basis. made fun of for my weight problem

my bosses stole my personal property from my desk (they admitted to this)

i could go on and on...

Beth3

Sounds as though you may have a discrimination claim to bring for sexual harassment in addition to or in lieu of discrimination under the ADA. Your options are to contact your state's Equal Rights Division or the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (www.eeoc.gov). You may also wish to consult with an employment law attorney before deciding how to proceed (which I suggest you do.) If you don't know of any EL attornies in your area, call your local Bar Association and ask for referrals. Good luck. It sounds like you were being subjected to some apalling harassment.

F

fumangin

thank you for your advice

thank you all so much for your advice on my situation, even thought i am out of a job no and have lost my insurance i still feel so much better to be able to put the 5 years of abuse behind me. i plan to porceed with the advice you all have offered. i will keep you updated on my progress.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">