• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Verbal abuse at work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

christimeadows3

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

My boss called me a F***ING C*NT today at work and he has called another girl at work a DUMB B****. He does this in front of the whole office and he bullies us all the time when he is having a bad day or just bored, do i have any legal rights against this other than quiting. I just want it to stop and for him to know he cant just call us names because he is mad. PLEASE HELP!!!

pattytx

Report him to his supervisor or Human Resources. There is no excuse for that kind of language in the workplace.

How does he respond when you say "do not speak to me that way"?

commentator

There's not technically a law against it, but you definitely should take this higher if he is not the company owner. If there is anyone who is over him, they definitely need to hear about this and he needs to have a complaint lodged against him. That he did it in the presence of witnesses is something that you should emphasize.

Some people think that talking abusively and nastily using very bad and degrading language toward women is a way to demean female employees. If you feel this is the case, you may want to mention this feeling that you and the other women in your worksite are being degraded to your higher up that you complain to.

If the guy is the company owner, he may actually think he does have the right to talk to you this way just because he is bored or angry. You may want to call the EEOC and get a complaint in place, having told him not to talk to you this way. Of course this may result in your firing, but if so, you're going to be likely to be approved to draw unemployment benefits.

If you quit immediately as soon as the name calling action takes place, and you have documented when it has occurred before to you (not just to other employees) if you can show you have reasonably asked him not to talk to you this way and have tried to solve the problem before quitting, you may have a pretty fair chance of receiving unemployment insurance. Actually cursing at an employee, using derogatory language this strong may be ajudicated to be a good job related reason to quit the job.

But if you wait a couple of days, and then quit, saying your boss called you a name two days ago, and then three weeks ago, he had called another person a name....you're not going to have such a good case, if you see what I mean.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">