• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

verbal warnings and suspending

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

looking4answer2

What is the name of your state? CA

I just want to get some information please.

My subordinate and I got into a fight (she started yelling at me) which lasted for (more than) two days. All this resulted in me losing my cool and cussing in the office.

Now I agree that I should be repremanded, that isn't the question.

My question is, are verbal and written warnings mandatory by law?

I was suspended without pay for five days (one week). I did not receive any verbal or written warnings prior to this.

(and just for those who are curious, as far as I know, my subordinate did not get repremanded)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Neither verbal nor written reprimands are required by any law. Barring a contract that guarantees that a specific pattern of discipline will be followed in 100% of cases (very unusual and also very unwise) the employer was within his rights to discipline you in any way that he felt appropriate, up to and including termination if that's what he wanted to do.

Last edited:
A

allen03

There are many circumstances that warrant immediate suspension or immediate termination. (Stealing, inappropairat conduct such as fighting and cursing, leaving without permission - just a few examples.)

If people were guaranteed verbal and written warnings they would feel comfortable doing whatever they want and know they would not get any serious discipline or fired,

Beth3

"My subordinate and I got into a fight which lasted for (more than) two days." Wow. That must have been one hell of an argument. :D

L

looking4answer2

Thanks for the info.

And Beth, yeah, it ended up being one hell of an argument. Which really threw me for a loop. She never did anything like this before. It's now seven days later and things are still off.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">