• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Verbally abused at Workplace

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jameshans70

I work in the State of New York as a Occupational Therapist.
I am currently on H1B Visa and of Asian Origin.

I was treating a patient when all of a sudden the patient started Verbally Abusing me using extremely racist words.
There were other therapist around and we all felt highly offended.

We all have submitted a written complaint about this incident to the management of the Rehabilation center but no action has been taken yet.

This incident was very hurtful.

What action can I take against the Patient and the Rehabilitation center?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

I was treating a patient when all of a sudden the patient started Verbally Abusing me using extremely racist words.

We all have submitted a written complaint about this incident to the management of the Rehabilation center but no action has been taken yet.

Is this a Psychiatric facility? If so, you and your offended co-workers need to find a different career. :cool:

The Center is not responsible.

Ladyback1

What is your end game here?

It's not like the Rehab center endorsed verbal abuse. The most they can do is refuse to treat the patient.

And as far as the patient? You suffered no loss. You weren't injured.
Since this is a rehab facility: Could the patient's illness/injury played any part in their mental state of mind/actions? If the patient had a stroke or TBI, then they may not be right in the head (so to speak) and would be mortified that they spoke to you like that. Something else to consider, depending on the age of the patient: if the patient is a Vietnam Vet, a lot of them harbor some pretty intense and hard feelings to anyone who even remotely resembles a Vietnamese. To them, all Asians look like Vietnamese.

My advice: You are going to have to develop a little thicker skin (as all the employees there need to). You are dealing with people who obviously aren't at their best, and may lash out verbally.

So in short: there is no action you can take against either the facility or the patient.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
What action do you expect to be taken, and what makes you think nothing has been done?

Proserpina

I'll answer the "patient" part directly.

You have absolutely NO case against the patient. Whatever happens is absolutely not your call. And I heavily doubt you have a case against the Rehab Center.

The thing about working in the medical field is that you have to deal with abusive idiots from time to time. Is it unpleasant? Yeap, it is. It's often downright mean and insulting. But that doesn't mean you have any legal recourse.

And if you think you have it bad? Work a few weekends in the ER.

swalsh411

You're in the wrong line of work if a few boo-hoo hurt-my-feelings words upset you. Consider it training for your career.

OHRoadwarrior

It is not an unreasonable alteration to request you not be paired with that patient again, assuming another staff member can replace your position there.

RRevak

I'll answer the "patient" part directly.

You have absolutely NO case against the patient. Whatever happens is absolutely not your call. And I heavily doubt you have a case against the Rehab Center.

The thing about working in the medical field is that you have to deal with abusive idiots from time to time. Is it unpleasant? Yeap, it is. It's often downright mean and insulting. But that doesn't mean you have any legal recourse.

And if you think you have it bad? Work a few weekends in the ER.
Or a state mental hospital. My family member was a group counselor in a large mental hospital here in my irritatingly sunny state. This particular hospital got the worst of the worst from all over the state (this is where one was sent when one was "guilty by reason of insanity" just to give an idea of patient content). On a regular basis she was insulted (both personally and her profession in general), physically threatened, and at one point a patient who was convinced she was poisoning him told her that he was going to voluntarily check himself out, find her family, and kill them all if she didn't stop the so called "poisoning". If OP wants to continue with their career in therapy, they're going to need a heck of a lot more skin than they've demonstrated here. As far as OH suggestion, that really doesn't fly. You treat whom you are given. That's just how it works in this field.

OP the facility owes you no apology as they have no real control over their patients behavior. If the patient were to become violent and threaten your safety, then you would have something to be concerned about. If its just words insulting your heritage then you're out of luck. Your best bet is to continue to offer commendable service and ignore anything this person has to say in the future.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'd still like to know the answers to my questions. They were asked for a purpose.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">