+ Reply to Thread
    kimduley is offline Junior Member

verbally assaulted and threatened

I WAS VERBALLY ATTACKED TODAY AT MY WORKPLACE AND I THEN WAS SO UPSET BY IT i REPOERTED IT TO MY SUPERVISOR .i WAS TOLD NOT TO OPEN UP A CAN OF WORMS AND JUST TO LET IT GO.i LEFT AND BROKE DOWN EMOTIONALLY AND WENT HOME AND CAME BACK LATER AND REQUESTED TO MEET WITH MY REGIONAL MANAGER HE SPOKE WITH ME AND SAID i SHOULD HAVE CAME TO HIM IMMEDIATELY WITH THE COMPLAINT HE DID SAY i WAS RIGHT TO COME TO HIM WITH THE SITUATION.i NEED TO KNOW WHAT ARE MY NEXT STEPS TO TAKE i FEEL VERY UNEASY AT MY JOB HAVING TO WORK DIRECTLY WITH THIS PERSON WHO VERBALLY ATTACKED ME SHOULD I ASK MY REGIONAL MANAGER WHAT STEPS WERE TAKEN TO DEAL WITH THIS MATTER?
    Antigone* is offline Senior Member
    In honor of JetX ~ Somnambulist University
    Quote Originally Posted by kimduley View Post
    I WAS VERBALLY ATTACKED TODAY AT MY WORKPLACE AND I THEN WAS SO UPSET BY IT i REPOERTED IT TO MY SUPERVISOR .i WAS TOLD NOT TO OPEN UP A CAN OF WORMS AND JUST TO LET IT GO.i LEFT AND BROKE DOWN EMOTIONALLY AND WENT HOME AND CAME BACK LATER AND REQUESTED TO MEET WITH MY REGIONAL MANAGER HE SPOKE WITH ME AND SAID i SHOULD HAVE CAME TO HIM IMMEDIATELY WITH THE COMPLAINT HE DID SAY i WAS RIGHT TO COME TO HIM WITH THE SITUATION.i NEED TO KNOW WHAT ARE MY NEXT STEPS TO TAKE i FEEL VERY UNEASY AT MY JOB HAVING TO WORK DIRECTLY WITH THIS PERSON WHO VERBALLY ATTACKED ME SHOULD I ASK MY REGIONAL MANAGER WHAT STEPS WERE TAKEN TO DEAL WITH THIS MATTER?
    Please turn off your caps, and yes speak to your regional manager.
    cbg
    cbg is offline Senior Member
    Strictly on the basis of what you have posted, nothing illegal occurred and any recourse you have is going to be internal, which means yes, talking to your internal manager.

If you believe that the law or any legally protected rights were violated, you're going to have to give us an example of what the "verbal attack" consisted of.
    commentator is offline Senior Member
    Actually, you do not have a right to freedom from verbal attacks at work. Be very careful that you do not jeopardize your own job, your attendance, etc by being "so upset that I broke down and left" because even if someone cussed you out or screamed and threatened you at work that does not mean you had the right to leave the work site without authorization.

If you are actually assaulted physically at work, call the police and press charges. You did the right thing by coming first to your direct supervisor, and then informing your regional manager of this situation. But now, talk to them again, tell them clearly and firmly that if you are actually assaulted by this person, you will hold them responsible and that you will press charges. You can ask them to change your work assignment or their work assignment so that you no longer have to work with this person who yelled at you if you want to. But really, they don't have to do that. If they want to, they could fire you because they want to, or because there's a problem between you and the other person, or just about for any reason.

As cbg has mentioned, depending a lot on the specific circumstances, but unless there is an EEOC related aspect to this situation, you can't file a grievance anywhere or take this to the "labor board" or sue them or anything, so there is no next step except to try to resolve the problem with your employer. If they won't work with you, you have the right to quit.
    swalsh411 is offline Senior Member
    How ironic that a person who claims they were verbally attacked types in all caps.
    Beth3 is offline Senior Member
    Unless you were verbally attacked because of your membership in a protected class (age, race, religion, etc.), then nothing illegal happened. By all means, speak with your regional manager to see what resolution will be/has been implemented but be advised that he isn't legally obligated to do anything or advise you what steps have been taken.
    A person, who is nice to you, but rude to a waiter, is not a nice person. (This is very important. Pay attention. It never fails.)