• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Video Cameras

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

Nat

This topic doesn't exactly fall under discrimination or harassment, but it was the closest topic I could find dealing with employment law. I wait tables in a restaurant in Georgia. The restaurant that I work for uses secret shoppers as a way of evaluating customer service, etc. I was recently informed that secret shoppers will now have hidden video cameras when they come in. Is this legal? I can understand the usefulness of videotaping, but at the same time it makes me feel rather odd.

N

Nat

From what I understand, video cameras are legal as long as your employer lets you know about them. We have video cameras throughout the building. As far as secret shoppers are concerned, they have posted a sign saying that secret shoppers will now be carrying "secret" video cameras. But because we don't know when we are being "shopped" by a secret shopper, we won't know when we are being video taped. That feels wrong. Is it legal?

N

Nat

One more thing ...
The videotaping will include audio as well. Isn't it illegal to tape a conversation without that person knowing about it?

A

Attorney_Replogle

You will have to check with a local employment law attorney in Georgia, but I will bet that those two practices are legal. As far as I know about the audio issue, that only applies to phone conversations. With regard to the video, that is quite likely to be easily upheld as legal in your state. Try finding a Georgia attorney at http://attorneypgaes.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">