• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

voice recording as evidence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

peanuthasek

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Dakota

Is it legal to submit a voice recording as evidence in court if only the person recording is aware that the conversation is being recorded?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Dakota

Is it legal to submit a voice recording as evidence in court if only the person recording is aware that the conversation is being recorded?
**A: do you work in law enforcement and the recording was part of what was required in order to perform your duties?

peanuthasek

I wasn't lured- actually, I want to record my boss saying something that I believe is illegal, but I don't want her to know that I'm recording her.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
North Dakota law does not require the knowledge and consent of all parties to a taping.

However, just because it is not illegal does not mean that your employer is required to consent to it or that you cannot be fired for taping your boss without permission.

Humusluvr

I wasn't lured- actually, I want to record my boss saying something that I believe is illegal, but I don't want her to know that I'm recording her.
I think it would be in your best interests to take a fellow teacher or union rep with you to the conference, and ask the questions that you are looking to answer.

Secret recordings are a bad idea, unless you're a fed.

pattytx

I think it would be in your best interests to take a fellow teacher or union rep with you to the conference, and ask the questions that you are looking to answer.

Secret recordings are a bad idea, unless you're a fed.
Yeah, I'm thinking entrapment.

What exactly is she saying that is "illegal"?

tranquility

It depends. Evidence is complex and subtle and admitting a recording may or may not be allowed depending on who the parties are, what the purpose of the admission into evidence is, how the recording was made, what was said and many other things. You cannnot examine evidence admissibility in a vaccum.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">