• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What do I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lauriep11

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

I have worked for my company for 4.5 years and have never had anything negative against me. I have dealt with alot in this company and i let some things go because a fear of losing my job. 1. being asked if i was a lesbian by a co-worker in our break room. 2. former boss asking me if i was stupid 3. new boss verfiying employment without a letter of authorization on hand, when i went lookng for it, she says do big deal, the letter finally came 3 days later 4. boss has told site managers to make sure she is copied on all emails they send to me 5. she asks me about paperwork that i copied her on and questions me all the time. 6. when i was open with her and told her I get nervous trying to talk to her, her answer was "Well if you feel that way,maybe you need to find..." she topped herself before she finished 7. After asking me about company procedures, I gave her what i had and she repeatedly said " So-and- so and I need these" . I explained they were old and not updated. 8 her body language to me is very tense and hostile. 8. when i asked to try to learn another position, her answer was "No, you make too many mistakes", I state "No, thats not true", she said "Ok sure if you say so". It isnt true, she takes a week to get back to me to turn in paper work than blames me for it being late. What do I do?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

I have worked for my company for 4.5 years and have never had anything negative against me. I have dealt with alot in this company and i let some things go because a fear of losing my job. 1. being asked if i was a lesbian by a co-worker in our break room. 2. former boss asking me if i was stupid 3. new boss verfiying employment without a letter of authorization on hand, when i went lookng for it, she says do big deal, the letter finally came 3 days later 4. boss has told site managers to make sure she is copied on all emails they send to me 5. she asks me about paperwork that i copied her on and questions me all the time. 6. when i was open with her and told her I get nervous trying to talk to her, her answer was "Well if you feel that way,maybe you need to find..." she topped herself before she finished 7. After asking me about company procedures, I gave her what i had and she repeatedly said " So-and- so and I need these" . I explained they were old and not updated. 8 her body language to me is very tense and hostile. 8. when i asked to try to learn another position, her answer was "No, you make too many mistakes", I state "No, thats not true", she said "Ok sure if you say so". It isnt true, she takes a week to get back to me to turn in paper work than blames me for it being late. What do I do?

Really, the only actionable item I see is #1. Report it to HR.

The rest - though not great, I do not think is actionable.

commentator

What you have got here is a whole lot of nothing much. In other words, you have nothing that I'm seeing here that is actionable as far as a lawsuit against your employer of any type. There is no law that says they can't criticize your performance or that they must treat you fairly, or that they have to do anything according to any law regarding how they deal with your job performance. They can, if they want to, terminate you in your state, "at will" which means that any given day, they could walk in and terminate you, and they do not have to give a reason, or have a valid reason.

The only case anyone would have is if they asked you to do anything illegal or unsafe, you'd be well served to quit the job and either report them to the law or to OSHA, and then, in any case, you'd file for unemployment insurance and could probably be approved for that if you've worked long enough for covered employers. Or if you could demonstrate that your treatment on the job was completely and solely because of an EEOC protected characteristic such as race, religion, etc. Being asked one time by a co worker if you were a lesbian, which probably happened some time ago anyhow, does not an EEOC complaint make.

If you were to quit the job right now and file a claim for unemployment insurance, you wouldn't have a chance of having them determine you'd had a valid job related reason to quit your job and approve a claim for unemployment benefits for you. There are about five or six unrelated complaints that have been spread out over three or four years, none of them anywhere near serious enough to be considered a good reason to quit your job, none of them leading to anything. If something is bothering you about the way you are being treated, complain to your HR at that time, try to proactively fix the issue at the time it happens. Don't sit there for three or four years collecting tiny grievances and letting them fester inside you. Be looking for another job if you are angry and resentful. It will make you feel better. And above all, don't get into the mode of "Someday, I'm going to blow and pay you back for the way you've treated me, then you'll be sorry!" As I said, there is no legal way that could happen, you can't break bad and sue them, and the alternatives are not pretty.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">