• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What do I do now?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

corrine00

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Background: I have been going through some personal issues outside of work. My performance at work has not changed, although I will admit I have not been acting like my usual self.

My manager noticed the change in my personality. He called me in, told me that he believed I have a drug problem, and told me that I was to take a medical leave and that I would be able to return once I provided documentation that I was fit for work.

I went to a doctor, where I obtained a physical complete with drug tests, and was cleared for work. I submitted this document and did not hear anything. I called HR, and they said that they had spoken with my manager and that he was requiring proof of treatment before he would let me return.

It has been 4 weeks since I have worked or have been paid. I was forced to accept another job in order to provide for my family. I submitted a letter of resignation to the previous company.

Currently: I have not received confirmation of my resignation, other than a "Good luck" text from my manager. I still have access to company emails, and I have not received my PTO payout.

Questions: This has caused so much financial and emotional distress. I really just want to put it all behind me. Should I just ignore it, or press the fact I haven't been appropriately released? Was it legal to place me on involuntary medical leave and require documentation of treatment for a perceived disability in the first place?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Background: I have been going through some personal issues outside of work. My performance at work has not changed, although I will admit I have not been acting like my usual self.

My manager noticed the change in my personality. He called me in, told me that he believed I have a drug problem, and told me that I was to take a medical leave and that I would be able to return once I provided documentation that I was fit for work.

I went to a doctor, where I obtained a physical complete with drug tests, and was cleared for work. I submitted this document and did not hear anything. I called HR, and they said that they had spoken with my manager and that he was requiring proof of treatment before he would let me return.

It has been 4 weeks since I have worked or have been paid. I was forced to accept another job in order to provide for my family. I submitted a letter of resignation to the previous company.

Currently: I have not received confirmation of my resignation, other than a "Good luck" text from my manager. I still have access to company emails, and I have not received my PTO payout.

Questions: This has caused so much financial and emotional distress. I really just want to put it all behind me. Should I just ignore it, or press the fact I haven't been appropriately released? Was it legal to place me on involuntary medical leave and require documentation of treatment for a perceived disability in the first place?
How long ago did you resign?

Have you asked someone about your PTO payout?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I resigned a week ago.

I haven't asked about the PTO payout yet.
Contact the payroll department to ask when you can expect to receive your final wages - they should have been paid within 3 days of your resignation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">