• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What legal and privacy rights do I have as an employee?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HilarityEnsues

State of Virginia.

I was wondering what legal and privacy rights I have working for a small business in the state of Va.

I work for a small car wash company that owns 2 locations. I also am a full time student, so my availability is Fri, Sat, Sun. Starting my Summer semester (May 20th to July 29th) at my community college I was taking time off of work (I would ask if I could leave when things slowed down) so I could finish my homework. I was granted permission from my manager to leave early. Spring and Fall semester run for 16 weeks, Summer runs only 9 weeks but the same amount of content must be taught in a shorter amount of time which means much more homework as well as much stricter deadlines for assignments.

During this period of taking time off of work I have been putting up with a lot unprofessional BS, so have other employees but they were able to afford quitting their job without finding a new one first. First off on one of my days off I got a call from a co-worker in may whom I didn't know very well, asking me a bunch of questions that left me dumbfounded. Long story short we wash cars for 3 county's police officers, as well as our local state police. On this day I wasn't at work a Police Officer reported his badge and wallet missing out of the car. One of the employees who doesn't care much for me told the co-worker prior to him calling me that I knew where the badge and wallet were, so he called trying to clear his name. I told him I didn't know what he was talking about and he hung up. I called my job Immediately wondering how he got my number and what the call was about, also wondering if I was any type of trouble.

My manager Rebecca, answered the phone and immediately flipped out telling me my co-worker lied, saying that the store manager needed my number so she gave the number to him. He was disciplined for that and the Officer failed to show up to the lie detector analysis my Employer was giving to people who were inside the officer's car that day. Turns out he misplaced them and found them later but never bothered calling the Car Wash to report the items found.

I have also been dealing with harassment (what I consider it, not legal definition) by most of my management team since summer classes started. Even though classes are over my Teacher still has me and one other student (we both have 3.5 GPA's) come into class 2-3 days a week to pull, disassemble, clean, reassemble and install a motor from an auction vehicle he bought last fall. The block and heads were found to be cracked which rendered the motor nothing more than an impressive paper weight. The teacher is still having us assemble this engine because he will be given a several hundred dollar discount for the old motor (core charge) when he purchases the re-manufactured motor.

I have been getting texts from my employer on my days off, whether I am taking care of my grandfathers house (I live with my Grandfather, I mow grass, clean the house and pretty much anything else he isn't physically capable of doing) or at school working on the Teacher's vehicle. They have also started recently calling me from a masked/blocked number in hopes of getting me to answer my phone. Another manager named Mark has become verbally abusive, saying things within ear shot such as "Adam needs to bring his lazy ass into work on his days off", "Adam needs to get some pussy" <---- This remark was made in response to a co-worker asking me I have a girlfriend to which I responded no, and told him I have no interest and dating until my future and career are set in stone.

I was also sent home on a day when it rained after telling Rebecca I didn't want to go on call. She later came back and told me Mark said I have to go home. I finished the vehicle I was cleaning and grabbed my change of clothes (I change out of my work outfit before I get in my car, I tend to sweat quite a bit) and was greeted by Mark with a big **** eating grin on his face. After I went into the restroom to change my clothes I heard Mark joking with co-workers outside about how I was going to stay and make all of the money because there is something wrong with my car.

Funny thing is two days prior I had been working on my vehicle in eyeshot of my personnel manager whom lives across the street. She has been the one constantly calling and texting me on my days off. The day before I was sent home, which was the day before I worked on my vehicle a co-worker approached me and asked if I was having car problems, which made it apparent to my personnel manager is telling my co-workers and supervisors what I do on my days off work. She has also approached me outside of work talking disrespectfully about me, and even once made a comment about how she wishes she could afford to take days off of work. Keep in mind management gave me permission to take this time off of work.

Lastly today I was planning on going in to work as I had nothing else to do (I didn't make any promises at work or even mention I was planning on coming in) but given the circumstances explained above I didn't go in and instead turned in a boat load of applications for the span of about 7 hours. As I was coming home, I took a route that took me within a few miles of work. Lo and behold one of my co-workers sees me and follows me around while talking on the phone (Is it not reasonable to assume he was talking to my personnel manager whom texted once and called once more from a blocked number?) I finally got pissed and shot my co-worker a look at which point he made a u-turn.

I should also note I told my store manager about my Disability (Schizo-affective disorder) following a complaint from a customer on a day which I was having a slight psychotic episode. This was the day before I was sent home and the same day my co-worker asked me about the car. Since then the harassment (my words) have gotten worse. Despite all of this I still come in my scheduled days and bust my goddamn ass. The job relies largely on tips, I make about 300-320 dollars between paycheck and tips each week so even I was available it's not like I need the money.

Sorry for the long post, I was just wondering if my rights, privacy wise or else, are being infringed up here at all. I will continue to look for a new job in the mean time.

quincy

State of Virginia.

I was wondering what legal and privacy rights I have working for a small business in the state of Va.

I work for a small car wash company that owns 2 locations. I also am a full time student, so my availability is Fri, Sat, Sun. Starting my Summer semester (May 20th to July 29th) at my community college I was taking time off of work (I would ask if I could leave when things slowed down) so I could finish my homework. I was granted permission from my manager to leave early. Spring and Fall semester run for 16 weeks, Summer runs only 9 weeks but the same amount of content must be taught in a shorter amount of time which means much more homework as well as much stricter deadlines for assignments.

During this period of taking time off of work I have been putting up with a lot unprofessional BS, so have other employees but they were able to afford quitting their job without finding a new one first. First off on one of my days off I got a call from a co-worker in may whom I didn't know very well, asking me a bunch of questions that left me dumbfounded. Long story short we wash cars for 3 county's police officers, as well as our local state police. On this day I wasn't at work a Police Officer reported his badge and wallet missing out of the car. One of the employees who doesn't care much for me told the co-worker prior to him calling me that I knew where the badge and wallet were, so he called trying to clear his name. I told him I didn't know what he was talking about and he hung up. I called my job Immediately wondering how he got my number and what the call was about, also wondering if I was any type of trouble.

My manager Rebecca, answered the phone and immediately flipped out telling me my co-worker lied, saying that the store manager needed my number so she gave the number to him. He was disciplined for that and the Officer failed to show up to the lie detector analysis my Employer was giving to people who were inside the officer's car that day. Turns out he misplaced them and found them later but never bothered calling the Car Wash to report the items found.

I have also been dealing with harassment (what I consider it, not legal definition) by most of my management team since summer classes started. Even though classes are over my Teacher still has me and one other student (we both have 3.5 GPA's) come into class 2-3 days a week to pull, disassemble, clean, reassemble and install a motor from an auction vehicle he bought last fall. The block and heads were found to be cracked which rendered the motor nothing more than an impressive paper weight. The teacher is still having us assemble this engine because he will be given a several hundred dollar discount for the old motor (core charge) when he purchases the re-manufactured motor.

I have been getting texts from my employer on my days off, whether I am taking care of my grandfathers house (I live with my Grandfather, I mow grass, clean the house and pretty much anything else he isn't physically capable of doing) or at school working on the Teacher's vehicle. They have also started recently calling me from a masked/blocked number in hopes of getting me to answer my phone. Another manager named Mark has become verbally abusive, saying things within ear shot such as "Adam needs to bring his lazy ass into work on his days off", "Adam needs to get some pussy" <---- This remark was made in response to a co-worker asking me I have a girlfriend to which I responded no, and told him I have no interest and dating until my future and career are set in stone.

I was also sent home on a day when it rained after telling Rebecca I didn't want to go on call. She later came back and told me Mark said I have to go home. I finished the vehicle I was cleaning and grabbed my change of clothes (I change out of my work outfit before I get in my car, I tend to sweat quite a bit) and was greeted by Mark with a big **** eating grin on his face. After I went into the restroom to change my clothes I heard Mark joking with co-workers outside about how I was going to stay and make all of the money because there is something wrong with my car.

Funny thing is two days prior I had been working on my vehicle in eyeshot of my personnel manager whom lives across the street. She has been the one constantly calling and texting me on my days off. The day before I was sent home, which was the day before I worked on my vehicle a co-worker approached me and asked if I was having car problems, which made it apparent to my personnel manager is telling my co-workers and supervisors what I do on my days off work. She has also approached me outside of work talking disrespectfully about me, and even once made a comment about how she wishes she could afford to take days off of work. Keep in mind management gave me permission to take this time off of work.

Lastly today I was planning on going in to work as I had nothing else to do (I didn't make any promises at work or even mention I was planning on coming in) but given the circumstances explained above I didn't go in and instead turned in a boat load of applications for the span of about 7 hours. As I was coming home, I took a route that took me within a few miles of work. Lo and behold one of my co-workers sees me and follows me around while talking on the phone (Is it not reasonable to assume he was talking to my personnel manager whom texted once and called once more from a blocked number?) I finally got pissed and shot my co-worker a look at which point he made a u-turn.

I should also note I told my store manager about my Disability (Schizo-affective disorder) following a complaint from a customer on a day which I was having a slight psychotic episode. This was the day before I was sent home and the same day my co-worker asked me about the car. Since then the harassment (my words) have gotten worse. Despite all of this I still come in my scheduled days and bust my goddamn ass. The job relies largely on tips, I make about 300-320 dollars between paycheck and tips each week so even I was available it's not like I need the money.

Sorry for the long post, I was just wondering if my rights, privacy wise or else, are being infringed up here at all. I will continue to look for a new job in the mean time.
The answer is no.

I suggest that, if you need the money a job provides, you put up with the nonsense from this one until you can find another job.

Good luck.

HilarityEnsues

I am surprised they have not already fired you. I would have.
Legally I'm only obligated to work days I am scheduled, they have many more reasons to fire other people. We had a girl whom has worked here a few months who got caught stealing from the 711 next door, also got caught not splitting tips 50/50. They treat people so badly we had a rush of employees flat out quit, the schedule has gone from 3 pages down to one. So it seems even if you break the law they still need you to come into work. I also work with potheads, alcoholics, pill poppers and the best part is the store manager gets to bang the 18 year olds who quit and have them come back the next day with raises/promotions. Of course as soon as they learn the responsibilities you have when you become a manager they stop showing up for good.

Proserpina

Legally I'm only obligated to work days I am scheduled, they have many more reasons to fire other people. We had a girl whom has worked here a few months who got caught stealing from the 711 next door, also got caught not splitting tips 50/50. They treat people so badly we had a rush of employees flat out quit, the schedule has gone from 3 pages down to one. So it seems even if you break the law they still need you to come into work. I also work with potheads, alcoholics, pill poppers and the best part is the store manager gets to bang the 18 year olds who quit and have them come back the next day with raises/promotions. Of course as soon as they learn the responsibilities you have when you become a manager they stop showing up for good.

None of that matters, I'm afraid.

And legally? No matter when you're scheduled, if they want you to work extra you have a choice - work the extra time or find yourself another job before you're fired.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Legally I'm only obligated to work days I am scheduled,

Legally your employer can change your schedule any time he wants to, and it's up to you to adjust. There is no law supporting your statement above.

OHRoadwarrior

As I said, I am sure there are plenty of felons who would love to have a job. They would likely make themselves available on call also. Nothing personal, but when you have one of the lowest jobs in America, it is kind of hard to argue employer orders and demand rights.

HilarityEnsues

Yes I'm aware my employer can do whatever they please, but I'm not about to compromise my education for a job that goes nowhere fast. If they delivered on all of their promises of raises and prizes I'd be more than happy too. But seeing as how my co-workers who have been there 2-3 years with no raise or prize given that was promised for excellent performance I'll take my chances.

Silverplum

Yes I'm aware my employer can do whatever they please, but I'm not about to compromise my education for a job that goes nowhere fast. If they delivered on all of their promises of raises and prizes I'd be more than happy too. But seeing as how my co-workers who have been there 2-3 years with no raise or prize given that was promised for excellent performance I'll take my chances.
Alrighty then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">