• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What should i do??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WarriorKing

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa.
*******I work in a call center and sometimes customers get very very angry about what i am telling them about their account. Every time this happens they ask to speak with a supervisor and i end up getting in trouble because the customer says i was rude. To me i'm not being rude im actually just trying to explain whats going on and they dont like what im saying so they start yelling. What i have an issue with is the supervisor automatically writes me up for being rude or threatens to suspend me or fire me without even asking me what happened or listening to a tape. All because im telling a customer the truth and they dont like it? The supervisor just keeps saying its the tone of my voice. Well i was born with this voice i cant just change it. So my question is, is it considered discrimination to keep getting in trouble just because of how my voice sounds and someones opinion of thinking im rude? How can you even prove rudeness especially when its the truth being told?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa.
*******I work in a call center and sometimes customers get very very angry about what i am telling them about their account. Every time this happens they ask to speak with a supervisor and i end up getting in trouble because the customer says i was rude. To me i'm not being rude im actually just trying to explain whats going on and they dont like what im saying so they start yelling. What i have an issue with is the supervisor automatically writes me up for being rude or threatens to suspend me or fire me without even asking me what happened or listening to a tape. All because im telling a customer the truth and they dont like it? The supervisor just keeps saying its the tone of my voice. Well i was born with this voice i cant just change it. So my question is, is it considered discrimination to keep getting in trouble just because of how my voice sounds and someones opinion of thinking im rude? How can you even prove rudeness especially when its the truth being told?
Not illegal in the slightest.

Please understand that it's not illegal to fire you because someone thinks you're rude and there's no proof of you being rude ... quite the opposite in fact.

Maybe you need a different line of work?

eerelations

While you can't control the sound of your voice, you can certainly control the tone of your voice. Sound and tone are two very different things.

kim1386x2

not only is it not discrimination but if you are fired because of repeated complaints , true or not , your chance of getting unemployment is nearly non existant.

because sounds like its your fault. and all the write ups.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
not only is it not discrimination but if you are fired because of repeated complaints , true or not , your chance of getting unemployment is nearly non existant.

Kim -

Please stop posting and take some time to read and learn.

HC1432

Kim,

What qualifies you to provide advice or input in the area of employment law?

Editing this post:
Basically just want to add that I am not implying that you need to be an expert to participate in this forum, but as others have suggested, you would do better to participate by reading and taking information in for a while (I did that myself for quite sometime before posting and I do hold relevant qualifications in these matters)- unless you already hold some credentials or expertise in legal issues that we should be aware of?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">