• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What type of lawyer do I need?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jstoli

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arkansas
I am a federal employee that has been assaulted twice by a coworker. The first time she admitted to doing it, but pled not guilty to the judge stating she was " just playing around." She was convicted, ordered jail time and fined. She filed an appeal that month, and we are set for a jury trial later this month. The judge denied a continuance of my no contact order, and she and I have been working side by side since court. Her passive aggressive bullying has continued despite the judge telling her to stay away. I am a complete mess. I do my best to avoid her as much as possible, but it only makes it worse. I have spoken to my union rep, my supervisor and HR. I have explained I am fearful for my life, and I worry about further retaliation. My supervisor and HR are pointing the finger at each other, and nothing has been done to her work wise.
This weekend she assaulted me AGAIN. I was walking in an opposite direction of her down a 12ft hallway, carring equipment for my job. She come at me, drops her shoulder and lowers it into me shoving me backwards and causing my stuff to go everywhere. I told our supervisor immediately, and she denied even seeing me that day. Today I have a huge swollen bruise on my shoulder. I contacted the investigator that's been handling my case and had my husband take photos.
I don't know what else to do, but I can't help but feel the reason they haven't disciplined her is out of fear of being sued by HER. I am white, and she is black. I am fed up with this hostile workplace, and need to know what my next step should be. Pls help!

W

Willlyjo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arkansas
I am a federal employee that has been assaulted twice by a coworker. The first time she admitted to doing it, but pled not guilty to the judge stating she was " just playing around." She was convicted, ordered jail time and fined. She filed an appeal that month, and we are set for a jury trial later this month. The judge denied a continuance of my no contact order, and she and I have been working side by side since court. Her passive aggressive bullying has continued despite the judge telling her to stay away. I am a complete mess. I do my best to avoid her as much as possible, but it only makes it worse. I have spoken to my union rep, my supervisor and HR. I have explained I am fearful for my life, and I worry about further retaliation. My supervisor and HR are pointing the finger at each other, and nothing has been done to her work wise.
This weekend she assaulted me AGAIN. I was walking in an opposite direction of her down a 12ft hallway, carring equipment for my job. She come at me, drops her shoulder and lowers it into me shoving me backwards and causing my stuff to go everywhere. I told our supervisor immediately, and she denied even seeing me that day. Today I have a huge swollen bruise on my shoulder. I contacted the investigator that's been handling my case and had my husband take photos.
I don't know what else to do, but I can't help but feel the reason they haven't disciplined her is out of fear of being sued by HER. I am white, and she is black. I am fed up with this hostile workplace, and need to know what my next step should be. Pls help!
Whether you are a Federal Employee or not, you should be protected by statutes that make it mandatory that your workplace be a safe environment. The fact your co-worker has attacked you despite being charged with assault a previous time is troubling. You should definitely consult with an Attorney versed in Labor-Law concerning your Hostile and Unsafe Work Environment. I'd look into the possibility that this co-worker is attacking you because you are white as well!

Jstoli

I phoned the police yesterday and advised them as to what happened. I came in today and filed a report and they took pictures of my injury. The investigator said that he is unsure how this case will proceed because there were no witnesses to the incident, and the person who attacked me wouldn't speak with them. Basically a he said she said case. :confused: He said that it was bad on my part for not going to the police the same day. I didn't start bruising until Friday night. :( He said I could have self inflicted my injury. I am not crazy. I am outraged! Does it not matter that she and I already have a history, or that she has motive? What can I do?

W

Willlyjo

I phoned the police yesterday and advised them as to what happened. I came in today and filed a report and they took pictures of my injury. The investigator said that he is unsure how this case will proceed because there were no witnesses to the incident, and the person who attacked me wouldn't speak with them. Basically a he said she said case. :confused: He said that it was bad on my part for not going to the police the same day. I didn't start bruising until Friday night. :( He said I could have self inflicted my injury. I am not crazy. I am outraged! Does it not matter that she and I already have a history, or that she has motive? What can I do?
You need to consult with an Attorney regarding a possible Civil Suit against your employer for not protecting you against your co-worker. In view of the fact you had an altercation with this co-worker before (which resulted in charges against your co-worker), I'm greatly surprised the local PD was so lax concerning your filed report.

garrula lingua

Is this woman on probation?
If she was given a probation period on the case where she was found guilty, then you should call the District Attorney's/Prosecutor's Office and ask them to file a Motion to Revoke.
The standard of proof is lower on a MTR, and hearsay is, usually allowed.
At minimum, the Judge may order a Protective Order which includes a stay-away order.

There's something terribly wrong with your supervisors/management.

Check the process for filing a formal grievance ( in writing and adhere to the time deadlines) to get the issue above your local management.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">