• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

who is allowed access to video surveillance in the workplace?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joedbris

I work for a small company in Texas that has video cameras installed that record about a week of video. I know that issue has been beat to death. My question is about who has access to the equipment in order to view recordings. I don't have a problem with my supervisor using this as a tool for management, but I believe another employee has access, and I do not think that is fair. Basically he is using this equipment to spy on other employees on other shifts and then running to the boss to "tell" on them and make himself look good. As there are three operators on different shifts and we are all of equal rank, I feel that if he is allowed access then I should have access. Otherwise only the supervisor should have access. Any info on this situation out there?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I work for a small company in Texas that has video cameras installed that record about a week of video. I know that issue has been beat to death. My question is about who has access to the equipment in order to view recordings. I don't have a problem with my supervisor using this as a tool for management, but I believe another employee has access, and I do not think that is fair. Basically he is using this equipment to spy on other employees on other shifts and then running to the boss to "tell" on them and make himself look good. As there are three operators on different shifts and we are all of equal rank, I feel that if he is allowed access then I should have access. Otherwise only the supervisor should have access. Any info on this situation out there?
The employer can allow or disallow any employee from viewing the video.

swalsh411

As long as the cameras aren't in the bathroom or locker room or somewhere else employees have an expectation of privacy no laws are being broken.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There are no laws dictating to the employer to whom he may grant access. It is entirely up to him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">