• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who should be held accountable and is this discrimination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kelaco

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia
My daughter recently lost hours from, Fresh Market, for answering the phone that turned out to be a Money Gram scam which $900 was stolen. Well, though she answered the phone, she did not process the transaction. She had passed the phone over to another tenure employee, advised it was Money Gram trying to update the system. The other employee processed the transaction. Well, to make a long story short, she lost her hours and may be terminated. While she is in limbo, she had noticed the person who actually processed the transaction had not lost any hours and continue to work. When my daughter questioned the fairness of this to the assistant manager on this, he told her its not about being. He continued to advised my daughter he will look into getting her some her hours back, yet to date none, yet the person who processed the transactions still working. He told my daughter, because she was the one who answered the phone she is being held accountable for it.

justalayman

I see nothing that would even remotely be illegal discrimination and it doesn't matter who should be held accountable. An employer can basically do pretty much what they want in such a situation as long as the action is not based on illegal discrimination.

swalsh411

Your daughter should seek other employment. If she was working full time and her hours have been cut she may also be eligible for partial unemployment benefits.

BryanP

Unfortunately not

Unfortunately,this is not discrimination. Maybe you can see it as favoritism, but the employer can pretty much do what he wants.

Beth3

It seems very unfair to hold your daughter accountable for what happened but it's not illegal to cut her hours and not the employee who handled the transaction.

eerelations

Unfortunately,this is not discrimination. Maybe you can see it as favoritism, but the employer can pretty much do what he wants.
Actually, favouritism is discrimation. However, what's happening here isn't illegal discrimination. Nor is it illegal favouritism.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">