• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wondering if I have any rights in this situation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Spring13

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

Long story short - after 11 years in a company of four I am actively looking for a new job due to stressful conditions in the workplace due to, well, the manager and the boss fighting constantly like daycare children. I am on two days paid leave due to a verbal assault from the manager (my crime was putting my head on my desk instead of siding with her in a fight with the boss). At first I was told it would get better, manager was leaving, but today during a follow up with the boss I was pretty much told this is the way it's going to be, like it or lump it, screaming matches and all. (I currently suffer many health issues due to the stress of the environment.)

The trouble with this is that during my leave, the boss's wife came over because she felt the need to tell me that she had found evidence of the manager and the boss having a very inappropriate relationship. Basically he's putting her wishes over FAMILY even. I don't stand a fighting chance. Not to mention the whole work nightmare I've been living is due to PERSONAL problems with each other, not work.

I'm going back in Monday due to the fact that I just can't up and quit. I am going to continue to do my best despite the situation, but will make it clear I will not be verbally attacked anymore like before. Basically do I have ANY legal rights in this situation? I'm practically begging for a peaceful place to work, and if it comes down to me leaving or her leaving...it won't be her.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Please do not think me unsympathetic to your situation. My personal feelings about your situation and the law's take on it do not necessarily coincide.

Based on your post, you have the legal right to look for another job and quit when you find one. That's about it. Nothing in the law entitles you to a peaceful or stress-free workplace. You haven't posted anything to suggest that any labor or discrimination laws are being violated.

It is a shame that your managers can't behave like adults, but having bad management is not illegal and does not trigger any legal recourse for you.

Last edited:

Spring13

Please do not think me unsympathetic to your situation. My personal feelings about your situation and the law's take on it do not necessarily coincide.
it
Based on your post, you have the legal right to look for another job and quit when you find one. That's about it. Nothing in the law entitles you to a peaceful or stress-free workplace. You haven't posted anything to suggest that any labor or discrimination laws are being violated.

It is a shame that your managers can't behave like adults, but having bad management is not illegal and does not trigger any legal recourse for you.
cbg, Thank you for your reply (and I don't think you unsympathetic, I realize most of it is petty stuff people go through every day.) The possibility of there being an actual non-professional relationship between the two is mainly what I'm questioning. Situations at this point are being made based on emotion and not business. And I've never been in a situation like this before so, just trying to cover my hiney. Thanks so much and have a great day.

justalayman

a boss can legally be a jackass. They can legally be a lech (as long as the target is willing. Otherwise there is sexual harassment issues).

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
cbg, Thank you for your reply (and I don't think you unsympathetic, I realize most of it is petty stuff people go through every day.) The possibility of there being an actual non-professional relationship between the two is mainly what I'm questioning. Situations at this point are being made based on emotion and not business. And I've never been in a situation like this before so, just trying to cover my hiney. Thanks so much and have a great day.
EVEN IF there is a non-professional relationship between them, that does not give you legal recourse as you have described the situation.

commentator

Don't quit the job until you have another one to go to. But whatever you do, begin at once to look for that new job. Very quietly, without drama, without announcing it to anyone else. Let the thought that you will be leaving this madhouse soon comfort you and keep you cool while they're all having crises. And when on the worksite, until you find that other job, be quiet, professional, above all the drama, if they chew you out, just say, "I'm sorry you feel that way." You don't have to participate, or let the ugly drama of this business ruin your life. Yes, it's legal, they can act any way they want to. There is certainly no law against them fooling around with each other or involving other employees in their personal dramas.

If they walk in and fire you without a good reason, that's a win. You then will be able to file for and draw unemployment insurance until you are able to find something else. So don't let the threat that they may fire you cause you undue worry and agony. Getting fired by a jerk isn't the worst thing that could ever ever happen.

However, if you just get too stressed out and crazed by the situation and quit, you will not be able to draw benefits while looking for another job. In order to get that, you have to have had a really really good job related reason to quit your job. If your employer comes in and threatens you with a firearm, that may be considered a good reason to quit. If your employer fails to pay you for hours worked, or the checks they give you are bouncing, that's a pretty good reason. But they can't get along and have big screaming fights in the workplace? Commonplace, not really as serious as you might believe. Yells and verbally abuses employees? No big deal, in labor law world, particularly in our fair state. So get revenge the best way, by moving on and doing better.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">