• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Won't hire anymore Americans - too white and not asian enough!!!!!!!!!!1

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

KJKLARSON

What is the name of your state? massachusetts
my sister has applied to a local restaurant 4 times. first 3 times he told her she was too american and not asian enough for position.. 3rd time he told her he would call her back when position opened up. i called him for status of position (pretending to be her, by request of my sister). he continued to ask me about my race and I told him it was irrelevant of what race I was; he agreed that I was right and still cont. to push for my race. well i setup an appt. w/him and accompanied my sister for support and to confront him. when she was done talking to him I went in his office (w/the equal employent opportunity posting that was posted in the workplace and told him to read it and that it was unconstitutional to discriminate against someone b/c of race and ethnic origin. I feel that this incident will scar my sister for life. it is not the first time he has done something like this. he has done this to a few of her friends and he has actually told one of the girls that actually has a job there that he has too many americans employed there and wants to hire only oriental people from now on.

What else can I do to help prevent this kind injustice from happening?? What approprate action can I take?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
YOU cannot do anything. Your sister, on the other hand, can file a complaint with MCAD and/or the EEOC for racial discrimination. It is illegal under both state and Federal law to take race into consideration when making hiring decisions.

StacyLB

Correct me if I'm wrong cbg, but if this is an Asian restaurant it may be legal. If they provide an Asian atmosphere, they can require that waitstaff be of a particular race/nationality under very specific circumstances.

HomeGuru

StacyLB said:
Correct me if I'm wrong cbg, but if this is an Asian restaurant it may be legal. If they provide an Asian atmosphere, they can require that waitstaff be of a particular race/nationality under very specific circumstances.

**A: this is America, not Asia.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Stacy, you have a point and I almost included that, but I figured that the poster would have said so if that were the case. Also, we don't know what kind of job the sister was applying for; if it was as a cook or something behind the scenes then her race would not be part of the atmosphere. Finally, in hiring other Americans the restaurant may have blocked themselves from using that excuse.

StacyLB

Thanks cbg. It was one of those times that I couldn't tell if my memory was deceiving me! You're always so thorough with posters--it caused me to doubt my recollection.

As a side note, over the last month I've noticed posts on this board taking a negative and/or aggressive tone. That's unfortunate. Homeguru, obviously I know what country the poster is in as MA is specified. May I suggest before you choose to be snide that perhaps a perusal of the law is necessary? I make a conserted effort to only post if I feel I truly have something to add or to clarify my undertanding of the law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">