• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

working long periods of time

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? az

Can anyone tell me can an employer make me work for long periods of time like say 3 weeks in a row at 6-8 hours a day.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? az

Can anyone tell me can an employer make me work for long periods of time like say 3 weeks in a row at 6-8 hours a day.
I think you're asking if you can be made to work for 3 weeks without a day off/period off - is that right?

yes

I think you're asking if you can be made to work for 3 weeks without a day off/period off - is that right?
yes We recently had an employee who injured his foot but he still has to come to work. I myself had to take his place on his days off as he can't drive so I have been doing that and worked 3 weeks in a row. I just got my first day off this past Friday but am now starting to work another long joint for about 15 days until I take a vacation I applied for before any of this happened and was granted the vacation.

Proserpina

yes We recently had an employee who injured his foot but he still has to come to work. I myself had to take his place on his days off as he can't drive so I have been doing that and worked 3 weeks in a row. I just got my first day off this past Friday but am now starting to work another long joint for about 15 days until I take a vacation I applied for before any of this happened and was granted the vacation.
How many hours a day?

(While we take a look at what Arizona says first)

Proserpina

Arizona appears to be oddly quiet on the matter of breaks, overtime and hours worked - at least at first glance.

I shall thus retire from the thread, and you can wait for the experts to stop by in the morning.

(From NOLO, generally accurate)

When am I entitled to earn overtime?

Arizona has no overtime laws, although you may be eligible for overtime pay under the federal Fair Labor Standards Act. To learn more, see Nolo’s article Overtime Pay: Your Rights as an Employee and contact the Industrial Commission of Arizona.

Am I entitled to a lunch or rest break?

Arizona does not require employers to provide lunch or rest breaks. However, you are entitled to be paid if you have to do any work during a break (for example, if you have to cover the phones while you eat lunch). And, generally, you are entitled to be paid for any short breaks (five to 20 minutes) your employer provides; this time is considered part of your work day.

commentator

In a word, other than being required to pay you at least minimum wage for all the hours you work, you are just about at their mercy. Can they fire you for refusing? Oh yes.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
For reference:

http://www.dol.gov/compliance/guide/minwage.htm and http://www.dol.gov/whd/flsa/faq.htm

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Arizona is one of those states where you could theoretically be required to work 24/7/365 and as long as you were paid properly there would be no legal violation.

So the answer to your question is yes, your employer could make you work 6-8 hours a day for three weeks without a day off and it would not violate any employment laws.

Arizona is one of those states where you could theoretically be required to work 24/7/365 and as long as you were paid properly there would be no legal violation.

So the answer to your question is yes, your employer could make you work 6-8 hours a day for three weeks without a day off and it would not violate any employment laws.
I'm thinking it COULD infringe upon one's religious beliefs if forced to work on a Sunday.

eerelations

I'm thinking it COULD infringe upon one's religious beliefs if forced to work on a Sunday.
Where did OP say that he had religious beliefs that conflicted with his being scheduled to work on Sundays? After seeing this post of yours, I read and re-read his posts and nowhere can I see this! All I can see is that he is concerned about the legalities of being made to work three weeks straight without a day off...he has never mentioned religion! Where are you getting this?

(And anyway, even if OP was concerned about getting a day off per week for religious observance, why are you limiting it to just Sunday? It could just as easily be Friday or Saturday...but wait! OP isn't concerned about getting a day off for religious observance, he's just concerned about getting a day off!)

Until you can show us evidence that OP needs a day off for religious observance, we're not going to address that issue. And if you don't have said evidence, you shouldn't have brought it up. Period.

eerelations

if he is a Pastafarian it would be Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
Don't you mean Rastafarian? Or if Pastafarian, what does that actually mean? Someone who has faith in pasta? (Sorry, don't mean to offend if you're a Pastafarian, I've just never heard of this religion, please clue me in.)

justalayman

Don't you mean Rastafarian? Or if Pastafarian, what does that actually mean? Someone who has faith in pasta? (Sorry, don't mean to offend if you're a Pastafarian, I've just never heard of this religion, please clue me in.)

Yes, Pastafarian. The believe in the flying spaghetti monster. Their holiest day is talk like a pirate day which, they claim, is on the same level in their religion as Christmas is to Christians (which obviously is a mistake on their part thinking Christmas is the holiest day of the year for Christians as it obviously is not)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

http://www.wikihow.com/Become-a-Pastafarian

and it has been recognized as an official religion such that there are a couple people with collanders on their heads in their driver's license photos as the collander is their religious headgear similar to a yarmulke or Taqiya or hijab

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">