• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Workplace Discrimination/Harassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wankanobe

South Carolina, U.S.A.

Hi,
My wife has been working at a healthcare facility for 13 years. Her supervisor
has hired on several family members and is of late (the past year) constantly harassing,
intimidating, being abusive and hostile to my wife. As my wife cannot read/write
English and is not part of her supervisors “click”, she is being treated unfairly and (IMO)
the plan is to force her out of the workplace.
Supervisor has started cutting wifes hours (giving the hours to family and/or friends).
This is affecting our livelihood, her retirement as well as our peace of mind.
As for taking these matters to the administrator for resolution; admin relays the info to
wifes supervisor which leads to further harassment/abuse.
To be honest, I am weary of listening to my wifes plaints every day. It hurts me to know
this injustice is directed at her with no recourse or accountability. This situation has
started wearing on me so bad that I really want to go pay these people a visit to let them
experience being on the receiving end of the abuse. I know cannot do this but people
can only take so much. I cannot sit idly by while someone (anyone) treats my wife in this
manner.
We are literally living paycheck-to-paycheck and this is affecting both of us on an
elemental level. We cannot afford to have her hours cut or her state of mind
compromised each day she works: This is a potential bomb that may leave us destitute
and homeless. The stress caused is unhealthy and destructive.
Is there anything that can be done; or can guidance be given that may point us in the right direction?
Please help so that this does not end up another tragedy.
Thanks,
Totally Frustrated

eerelations

Workplace discrimination/harassment is only illegal if it's based on things like race, gender, age (over 40), religion, disability and/or reporting the employer's illegal acts to the relevant judicial authorities. Nothing in your post indicates your wife's experiences are based on any of these things. You have said it's because your wife cannot read/write English, however, it's not illegal to discriminate against someone based on that. Based on what you've posted it appears your wife does not have legal recourse (except of course as Zigner has advised, to find other employment).

tranquility

Can you expand a little on why your wife cannot read/write English and if it affects her duties at work in any way? Is the harassment because she can't read/write English or because she can't read/write English because she has a different...national origin?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
A very simple solution to this problem might be for your wife to take an ESL class.

wankanobe

She is Thai.
All this is due to her supervisor hiring friends and family members. The hours she is being docked is to give to her family/friends. The harassment is to encourage other employees to just quit. Is not nepotism illegal?
Thanks

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
With very limited exceptions, which do not apply here, No. Nepotism is not illegal.

tranquility

She is Thai.
All this is due to her supervisor hiring friends and family members. The hours she is being docked is to give to her family/friends. The harassment is to encourage other employees to just quit. Is not nepotism illegal?
Thanks
Nepotism is only illegal if the employer is the government.

Is your wife being harassed because she is Thai or because she cannot read/write English?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The latter, sir/ma'am.
Thanks all for your help.
No, you said it was because she's not a friend or family of the supervisor.
She is Thai.
Thanks

davew128

Depending on your wife's specific duties at the healthcare facility, it may be reasonable that she not work because of her inability to understand English as I would expect almost all of the patients and staff to be fluent in English and NOT Thai.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">