• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongfully Accused

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

holaguesswho

What is the name of your state? CA

Same case as before...

During the current SH investigation of a subordinate my employer discovered that I had sent some flowers to my fellow female co-worker's residence (same position level) for V-Day. Can they use that against me since it has no bearing what so ever to what the original complaint/investigation? The individual in question at the time was flattered and thanked me...nothing else came of it...I basically did it to cheer her up! I also did not ask her out or anything...

they also said I put stuff in her cupboard ie:chocolate candy
(no prior complaint from her)

Teased her about her make-up and hair on occasions...note:I get teased too from time to time...The last time I checked teasing in a playful manner does not equate to SH.

Can they use it against me or do thay have a valid claim? My employer want a written statement from me on this subject matter...should I oblige?

It seems like a witch hunt now...

Thank you in advance for your quick response!

Last edited:

Beth3

Yes, you should oblige and give them a written statement. If you refuse, you could be fired for insubordination.

One key element in determining whether SH has occurred is whether the behavior is unwelcome. If your co-worker doesn't have a problem with what you've done AND your behavior is such that it doesn't violate any rules or reasonable standards of conduct expected in the workplace (including behavior that can result in the perception of improprieties), then you should be in the clear.

However you mention this came up as part of a SH complaint of a subordinate. Are you saying a subordinate made a SH complaint against YOU? If so, that could put a different wrinkle on things.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
One thing you need to keep in mind; sexual harassment has to do with the perception of the victim, not the intent of the alleged harasser. It is entirely possible to sexually harass someone without being aware that you are doing so and without any intent to do so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">