• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

XXX Magazine at work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodolegeorgia

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

My boss is out of town and asked me to look for something in his office. In on the drawers I found an XXX magazine. Not like a playboy, this is very explicit, sexual acts, etc. I don't know why in the world he would bring that to the office. Whatever he does at home is his business, I just don't get why its here. Our offices are right next to each other, I wonder if when he's being really quiet in there, is he looking at that and then he comes out and looks at me...creepy.

Anyway, my question is, would that be considered a kind of harrassment, or it is nothing because it was inside his desk?

Thank you.

eerelations

Not enough for a sexual harassment claim. As long as he keeps it in his desk drawer and doesn't require you to look in there anymore, I don't think you'd get far with a SH claim on just this.

tranquility

A single instance that is so slight like an explicit magazine in the desk is not going to be harassment. It is problematical that he told you to look in his office and I would be careful in the future to make sure he isn't using his neutral requests as a ruse, but at this point there is nothing.

As to what you suppose when it is quiet, um....no. Harassment has to do with the unreasonable actions of others and not the unreasonable suppositions of the purported victim.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

My boss is out of town and asked me to look for something in his office. In on the drawers I found an XXX magazine. Not like a playboy, this is very explicit, sexual acts, etc. I don't know why in the world he would bring that to the office. Whatever he does at home is his business, I just don't get why its here. Our offices are right next to each other, I wonder if when he's being really quiet in there, is he looking at that and then he comes out and looks at me...creepy.

Anyway, my question is, would that be considered a kind of harrassment, or it is nothing because it was inside his desk?

Thank you.
He did not share this tasteless magazine with you. As tasteless as it may be to you he did nothing to consitute harassment.

Mass_Shyster

It depends on how clueless the HR department is.

I know someone who was made to go to sensitivity training because in his office, in his locker, behind his hat, was a calander with topless women on it. The person who complained had no reason to be in his office, let alone looking behind his hat in his locker.

So, if you wanna try to make his life miserable, go ahead and tell HR.

BTW, abovementioned woman no longer works there, but the office occupant does.

OHRoadwarrior

So what turned you on about the magazine so much, that you picked it up and looked at the pictures. I'm sure whatever the boss had you looking for, was not inside of it.

goodolegeorgia

Thanks for replies

Yes, I have 4 brothers actually.

No, I don't want to make his life miserable. I don't want to do anything at all, I was just wondering. I asked a question, an answer was provided. Thank you, I appreciate your time.

goodolegeorgia

P.s.

OHRoadwarrior,

What in your reply constitutes an answer to my question? Slow day today? Sad you have to entertain yourself with ignorant comments like that. It doesn't reflect anything about me, but says a world of things about you.

In answer to YOUR question, its a toss up between the male and female imagines, not sure which ones turn me on the most, maybe both. Maybe I'll go in and look some more so that I can be sure.

You Are Guilty

OHRoadwarrior,

What in your reply constitutes an answer to my question? Slow day today? Sad you have to entertain yourself with ignorant comments like that. It doesn't reflect anything about me, but says a world of things about you.

In answer to YOUR question, its a toss up between the male and female imagines, not sure which ones turn me on the most, maybe both. Maybe I'll go in and look some more so that I can be sure.
Lord help me, but OHR makes an important point. Why, if what you were searching for was not a nudie magazine, would you pick up the one you found and flip through it? (In other words, how did you know its contents if you didn't look through it?)

Deliberately exposing oneself to sexual content will usually be a detriment to subsequent harassment claims.

OHRoadwarrior

I can't imagine why you would have knowledge of what this supposedly offensive magazine contains, unless you picked it up, opened it and read it. You did not indicate those instructions came from your boss. It appears you offended yourself by peeking.

goodolegeorgia

Oh Good Grief

You are just trying to rile me up to have some fun today. As I said the question was already answered, there's no reason for anyone else to say anything. I'm not a without curiousity, I'm not a prude. Heck, I've even BOUGHT those kinds of magazine before myself. Nor did I say that I intended to do anything about it. All I asked was if it would be considered harrassment. Why the heck do you people care. But when I picked it up and looked at the back and it showed a picture of a man's penis in a woman's mouth it pretty much made me wonder if the whole thing had those kinds of pictures in it. Heck, yeah, I even sat down and thumbed through the whole thing, considered taking my pants off while I was looking.

The moderators close this thread and end my membership to this oh so respected legal advice website but as long as people keep asking me questions I'm going to keep writing.

eerelations

You were given good, honest and accurate legal information and feedback and this is what you throw back at us? Wow, what a 'tude! Unbelievable!!! :eek:

You can keep writing all you want sweetie pie, but you sure ain't getting any more good, honest and accurate legal information and feedback, certainly not from me! I heartily wish I hadn't responded to you in the first place!

goodolegeorgia

and I said thank you

AFTER I was given advice I got the smart ass comments which no one needed to make. Obvioulsy I'm not talking to the people who gave me real advice, that doesn't need clarification. I had no reason to be another other than appreciative for the real advice.

Obviously my negative feelings are directed at the people who had to write their little comments about my thumbing the magazine. they turned it into something else, not me. I figured I'd give them what they wanted, since they seemed to be fishing for it. Be disappointed in your colleagues, not me.

Your condescendly calling me 'sweetie pie' doesn't change anything and certainly doesn't intimidate me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">