• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

you have to hear this one

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hamr504

What is the name of your state?illinois
i am employed as a police officer by a large department in illinois. i have a boss who is in charge of my district who on several occasions stemming from the last year and a half has been making my life hell. a short background, i ll call my supervisor sup.#1 it all started when i received dicipline from an incident in which i was involved in. i was told to come in to the station to sign paperwork. i was met by supervisor #1 and the sup. under sup. #1 sup. # 1 read my punishment which consisted of 10 days off and began to shout at me and stated my name was "mud" and that i am a "liar" and he does not believe anything i say. he further said he would like to see my termination. the time off was for an incident which was a complaint of swearing off duty. supervisor #2 who was present during this meeting is female. word got out about the use of the word "mud" and now i am called mud at all time by my co workers, and the female supervisor. supervisor #2 told me sup#1 was wrong in making the mud comment to me, but she did nothing about it.
shortly thereafter, my name was used in a office memorandum , sent to all the officers i work with, by supervisor #1 . the memo stated "my name" and basically used my name for as an example in a dicipline related manner.
after that, i received a phone call, on my personal cell from sup # #2 . in the course of the conversation she stated she had a lot to drink and she wanted to know if i shave my testicles.
at a meeting , sup. #1 made a statement about enverybody "getting on the train". my name was sent out again on an office memorandum to the entire district stating., "my name" is now on the train. a third memorandum was also sent out using my name as an example of a diciplinary situation.
i received another suspension for an amount of time off that is over the top outlandish for the offense i comitted,,,,,another alleged complaint of using a swear word,OFF DUTY ON A CELL PHONE. this sup.#1 had much to do with the recomendatoion of my suspension time, which i am currently fighting through my union.
2 weeks ago sup. #2 made a comment about a stain on my tie. she said " it looks like you blew your load on your tie".
i have had an unmarked vehicle taken from me by sup #1, in which he said it s "nothing personal" and have had several comments made by him saying i need to"put the past behind me".. the funny part is he will not let me. i am on anti anxiety medication now and am in fear of going to work because any little thing i do i will get in trouble, when other people that do the same get nothing done to them.
i have filed an eeoc complaint against both supervisors. any suggestions< do i have a possible harassment suit?

Last edited:

Beth3

do i have a possible harassment suit? Not that I can see. A couple of crude comments do not amount to sexual harassment.

Nothing in your post suggests you are being targeted for less favorable treatment because of your membership in a protected class: your age (if over 40), race, gender, religion, national origin, etc.

Beth3

No. What part of "A couple of crude comments do not amount to sexual harassment" don't you understand?

Dark Angel

I disagree completely.....go to EEOC

But when you do, make sure there is 'proof' or people who will back you up. The criteria for sexual harrassment is that you are being subjected to remarks or actions detailing, or describing sexual materials; or, that you are being forced to participate in sexual activities in order to keep your job or be promoted. Courts has ruled that something as simple as posting a playboy calendar in an area that others can see it can be ruled as sexual harassment. It seems to me that you certainly meet the criteria for sexual harassment. The difficulty will be finding someone to confirm what you are saying. This is a federal issue, but you will probably need to file the first complaint through your state's human rights division. :eek:

Beth3

Dark Angel, you are mistaken in your assumptions. In the big picture, what you state is accurate but getting down to specific situations, a siingle Playboy photo posted or one or two crude remarks do NOT constitute prohibited sexual harassment. Those are very different situations than quid pro quo.

Courts has ruled that something as simple as posting a playboy calendar in an area that others can see it can be ruled as sexual harassment. Please cite the ruling you are referring to as I doubt it exists.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">