• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

100% self support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? CA

I was in a discussion about emancepation and being 100% self supporting. In this conversation one mentioned roomates. I said I did not believe that having roomates made one 100% self supporting. The opponent in arguement stated there is no such Law that says having a roomate negates 100% self supporting. I can't see how this would qualify as 100% self supporting if one has help with bills!? Can anyone show me a law that says something to this effect? The state is unimportant as the discussion was in general terms and the state we were dicussing had a very vaugue statue on emancepation as it was.

BL

What is the name of your state? CA

I was in a discussion about emancepation and being 100% self supporting. In this conversation one mentioned roomates. I said I did not believe that having roomates made one 100% self supporting. The opponent in arguement stated there is no such Law that says having a roomate negates 100% self supporting. I can't see how this would qualify as 100% self supporting if one has help with bills!? Can anyone show me a law that says something to this effect? The state is unimportant as the discussion was in general terms and the state we were dicussing had a very vaugue statue on emancepation as it was.
US Law Only - WHEN POSTING A QUESTION, YOU MUST INCLUDE THE NAME OF YOUR STATE

" The opponent " ?? This is not a game site .

I am not treating as a game I was challanged to find a state law that identifies roomates as negating 100% self supporting! The state we were dicussing was Arkansas which has a statue but seems to reference engaging in contracts more than anything else. I brought up that most states with an emancepation statue require 100% self support and that havinga roomate share cost would negate that in my view. Like I said I was challanged to find a law that says that! We can go with CA if you like!

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I am not treating as a game I was challanged to find a state law that identifies roomates as negating 100% self supporting! The state we were dicussing was Arkansas which has a statue but seems to reference engaging in contracts more than anything else. I brought up that most states with an emancepation statue require 100% self support and that havinga roomate share cost would negate that in my view. Like I said I was challanged to find a law that says that! We can go with CA if you like!
What's an "emancepation statue" look like? Does it have chains and stuff? Just curious...

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I was also a participant on the thread in question and the actual challenge was to find *any* state statute or case law to that effect. The "challenger" will accept a statute or legal precedent from any state.

CdwJava

I doubt there exists ANY law ANYWHERE that says the minor must reside on their own and pay for 100% of their expenses by themselves. This is because the courts have to have the leeway to make decisions that are in the best interests of the child, so for those states that DO have emancipation statutes (and many states do not), they are broad enough to give the court some latitude to make a judgment.

However, at least in my state, this determination is rare - even rarer when the minor admits they can only succeed while receiving public assistance or with the help of a friend or a friend's parents (this usually means moving in with boyfriend/girlfriend and/or their family). Courts here don't tend to like emancipation to permit shacking up.

- Carl

If "any" emancepation law requires a minor ber self supporting how can having a roomate meet that requirement? If I were deciding an emancepation case I would be concerned for the emancepated if his/her roomate left for any reason! CBG said what it is we are looking for and it can be from any State

moburkes

If "any" emancepation law requires a minor ber self supporting how can having a roomate meet that requirement? If I were deciding an emancepation case I would be concerned for the emancepated if his/her roomate left for any reason! CBG said what it is we are looking for and it can be from any State
Having a roommate won't meet that requirement, but I don't think anyone here is going to search through 50 states worth of information to find 1 specific law for you. But, like you said, if the roommate/boyfriend/significant other/girlfriend/baby daddy leaves, then where does that leave the emancipated minor, except applying for welfare, which is NOT the intent. But, if that minor can pay the full rent even if the other person leaves, that would work in their favor. Emancipation is not supposed to be something that is easily obtained.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Moburkes, what you said is exactly what I said; that the kid still has to be able to show they can support themselves if the roommate disappeared. That's when the challenge was set forth.

When I saw this thread, I just wondered if anyone knew off the top. I don't care myself, enough to search through all 50 states. I certainly wouldn't ask someone else to. I'll take a look at the MD statute you posted. Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">