• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

11 year old threatened with a knife at shool

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

flawed

Texas

My son had a knife pulled on him at school. He is 11 years old. He filled out an incident report for the school. The school did not notify us of the incident. When my son told us that night, we call the police and filled out a report and received a case number. The next school day We took my son to school and spoke with the asst principle. He assured me that my son would have no contact with the boy that pulled the knife on him and apologized for not letting us know about the incident. 2 hours later my son calls me and tells me the kid cornered him in the restroom and threatened him again, this time without a weapon. The school refuses to expel the boy for the safety of the other students. What rights do I have, and should I proceed with charging the boy with criminal charge, and do I have grounds to sue the school for negligence? I am not the type of person to sue anyone, I just want to know if I have that option or if it would it even be worth it. I would not want money, just to have the school change its procedures.

Antigone*

Texas

My son had a knife pulled on him at school. He is 11 years old. He filled out an incident report for the school. The school did not notify us of the incident. When my son told us that night, we call the police and filled out a report and received a case number. The next school day We took my son to school and spoke with the asst principle. He assured me that my son would have no contact with the boy that pulled the knife on him and apologized for not letting us know about the incident. 2 hours later my son calls me and tells me the kid cornered him in the restroom and threatened him again, this time without a weapon. The school refuses to expel the boy for the safety of the other students. What rights do I have, and should I proceed with charging the boy with criminal charge, and do I have grounds to sue the school for negligence? I am not the type of person to sue anyone, I just want to know if I have that option or if it would it even be worth it. I would not want money, just to have the school change its procedures.
Call the police again and have them meet you at the school.

TigerD

There is too much information we don't know.

What did your son do? Why was he threatened with a knife? Was he bullying the kid? Did he interrupt a drug deal?

How you proceed may have as big of an impact on your son as it does the other boy.

DC

flawed

The police said the school should expel the boy, but they cannot force them to. They are waiting for me to decide to file charges on the kid. I am torn, we are transferring my child to a different school. I know this does not solve the lack of action from the school, but it does get my child out of danger for now. I just do not understand, with all of the bullying laws now, how could they not expel the boy. Are they not leagally obligated to protect out children? It makes absolutely no sense. He committed a crime inside the school building. This is serious. I think the school does not want it on their record so they are covering their butts, refusing to expel him because that may change their status or affect their income from the state or whatever. If I do not do anything then nothing will change. What does it take to have him expelled? Does he have to actually stab another child?

Thank you for your comment.

Antigone*

The police said the school should expel the boy, but they cannot force them to. They are waiting for me to decide to file charges on the kid. I am torn, we are transferring my child to a different school. I know this does not solve the lack of action from the school, but it does get my child out of danger for now. I just do not understand, with all of the bullying laws now, how could they not expel the boy. Are they not leagally obligated to protect out children? It makes absolutely no sense. He committed a crime inside the school building. This is serious. I think the school does not want it on their record so they are covering their butts, refusing to expel him because that may change their status or affect their income from the state or whatever. If I do not do anything then nothing will change. What does it take to have him expelled? Does he have to actually stab another child?

Thank you for your comment.
Why are you torn? As a mother, I'd be on that hot potato bare handed and not even feel the heat I'd be so hot!

TigerD

It makes perfect sense if your son is the bully and he is terrorizing some poor helpless kid, who was trying to say that he would defend himself. As for the second occurrence -- no witnesses, right?

Since you haven't answered the question of why, I choose to assume it is because your son is the bully. It fits the facts and is the simplest answer.

DC

flawed

My son was in the restroom, the boy walked in, pointed the knife at him and told him to get out or he would use the knife. My some ducked down and ran out. Later the same day in gym the boy approached my son and his friend with the knife drawn again. At that point the gym teacher snatched the knife away. My son, his friend, and another kid filled out an incident report in the office. The school did not even notify us about it. My son did nothing wrong and he has had nightmares.

TigerD

My son was in the restroom, the boy walked in, pointed the knife at him and told him to get out or he would use the knife. My some ducked down and ran out. Later the same day in gym the boy approached my son and his friend with the knife drawn again. At that point the gym teacher snatched the knife away. My son, his friend, and another kid filled out an incident report in the office. The school did not even notify us about it. My son did nothing wrong and he has had nightmares.
Bullcrap. If that is what your son told you, you are extremely naive.

People don't pull weapons and threaten people for no reason. There is always a reason -- even if it is a stupid reason.

DC

flawed

The bully admitted to his actions you idiot. All the teachers, all the other kids know what happened. This bully is twice the size of my son.

Antigone*

Bullcrap. If that is what your son told you, you are extremely naive.

People don't pull weapons and threaten people for no reason. There is always a reason -- even if it is a stupid reason.

DC
It doesn't matter though, DC. If someone pulled a knife on my child, no way in haedes would I be torn as to what to do - so I guess you're right, this lady is extremely naive and weak I might add.

Mom, you have to protect your child. That means calling the police and if they ask you whether you want charges to be forwarded to the DA your answer should be YES.

TigerD

The bully admitted to his actions you idiot. All the teachers, all the other kids know what happened. This bully is twice the size of my son.
People learn from their parents. When challenged you resorted to name calling and logical fallacies.

How does your son interact with people? A bully twice the size of your son doesn't need a knife -- again, what actually happened. I can tell you right now that it didn't happen the way you describe. There had to be history at least. There was a reason. Did your little boy tattle on the bully about something? That doesn't excuse the other boys actions, but it explains them.

Right now you are seeking advice, which cannot be given effectively without know what your son's actual role in this was. You either don't know, or you don't care. Not caring, implies that there is a strong likelihood that your son is the bully. Not knowing shows you are naive. Either way ...

Tigi - If someone pulled a knife on my kid and I find out about it over dinner, that means either nobody found the body yet, or he had something to do with the why. My son is 4. When he was three, a 6-year-old threw a block at him in church daycare. The 6-year-old was taken to the hospital. And I am okay with that. But I agree, I don't think my son would ever be in this situation. He stands up for himself. We encourage that. For the OP, my daughter is 19 - so don't come back with I have no idea what older kids are like.

OP -- good luck. By transferring schools, you are either enabling your son's bullying, or teaching him cowardice and to run from a problem. Either way .... you can guess what I think of it.

DC

OHRoadwarrior

Texas is very protection order friendly. I would personally take the middle ground, if the police will articulate this is the boys first real mistake. File for a protection order, however, hold off on formal charges.

flawed

People learn from their parents. When challenged you resorted to name calling and logical fallacies.

How does your son interact with people? A bully twice the size of your son doesn't need a knife -- again, what actually happened. I can tell you right now that it didn't happen the way you describe. There had to be history at least. There was a reason. Did your little boy tattle on the bully about something? That doesn't excuse the other boys actions, but it explains them.

Right now you are seeking advice, which cannot be given effectively without know what your son's actual role in this was. You either don't know, or you don't care. Not caring, implies that there is a strong likelihood that your son is the bully. Not knowing shows you are naive. Either way ...

Tigi - If someone pulled a knife on my kid and I find out about it over dinner, that means either nobody found the body yet, or he had something to do with the why. My son is 4. When he was three, a 6-year-old threw a block at him in church daycare. The 6-year-old was taken to the hospital. And I am okay with that. But I agree, I don't think my son would ever be in this situation. He stands up for himself. We encourage that. For the OP, my daughter is 19 - so don't come back with I have no idea what older kids are like.

OP -- good luck. By transferring schools, you are either enabling your son's bullying, or teaching him cowardice and to run from a problem. Either way .... you can guess what I think of it.

DC

DC, you have no idea what happened, you are assuming my child was in some way an instigator. I have the facts and I am not assuming that my son was an innocent victim, I know he was. The school knows he was not an instigator. The Bully is known and it is not my son. This was a random action on the bullies part. Quit assuming my son is at fault. There are times when you stand up for yourself and times when it is best to get the hell out. This is a time when I am proud of what my son did. He got the hell out of the bathroom.

I came to this site to just get some helpful advice, but now I see there are some idiots here (DC) I'm done with this site. Thanks to all of the logical comments made.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It appears the OP decided to leave - she threw some parting shots on the way out unfortunately.

TigerD

DC, you have no idea what happened
Hence the reason more information was asked for continuously.

you are assuming my child was in some way an instigator
Yes. I am. After interacting with you for less than an hour, I am convinced that there is no way under God's blue sky that your offspring could not be partially or mostly at fault in someone wanting to throttle him.

I have the facts and I am not assuming that my son was an innocent victim, I know he was.
Wow. Blinders, huh? I have been in situations where I was forced to draw a firearm and dissuade the other guy from making a worse mistake. And I have been in situations where someone has forcefully made their point with and without weapons. Innocent or not - in every one of those situations, there was a reason for everybody's actions. Understanding that reason is part of knowing how to deal with the situation.

This was a random action on the bullies part.
There are very few random actions that people make.

There are times when you stand up for yourself and times when it is best to get the hell out.
There are. Usually, it is best to handle a situation before it gets to the point.

This is a time when I am proud of what my son did.
Can he say the same thing about you?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">