• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

13 yr old interrogated without parent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

angelheart55

What is the name of your state? Illinois
My son is 13 yrs old, he is sentenced to a juvenile facility for a program which will last for possibly 6 mths or longer. He was told by a detective that he was guilty, after a interrogation, I know he took his shoes due to a footprint that they said is his. But all the time all I heard him say is Mom I didn`t do it, and he told the officers and the detective also, he willingly gave his shoes and said he was told by the officer that it wasn`t his make of shoe, but they just wanted to check, to my knowledge no miranda rights was given to him, nor offer for a lawyer, he never got to come home, I received a call from the detective approximately 3 hrs after he took my son telling me that he said he did it and it devastated me, I was just crushed. He had his sentencing hearing this past week, at the hearing he pled guilty and received the above program and 5 yrs probation.
My son is special needs and he really doesn`t understand and it just sickens me, after talking with him tonight also. I asked how he was doing and he said alright, I asked him why he did what he did, and he said Mom I didn`t do it, I said but in court to the judge you said you were guilty, and he said that he did that because that is what the detective told him, that he was guilty.
So now its probably too late, since the judge sentenced him, or is it, what if anything can we do. The other people involved got a lighter sentence, this isn`t justice is it?What is the name of your state?

racer72

Why did you not seek legal counsel for your son when you first became aware of the interrogation? There is no legal requirement that a parent be notified when a juvenile is questioned but an attorney could have gotten much of the information from the interrogation dismissed. Proper justice requires a good attorney, see one soon to see if there are any other options.

angelheart55

ILLINOIS HERE

I wouldn`t think that an adult would interrogate a child into saying they are guilty when they aren`t, if we can`t depend on law inforcement who do we depend on to protect us.
I have noticed in our area a lot doesn`t seem right, almost all whoever gets prosecuted is children and alcoholics, all people with drugs get appealed or pleaded out. It sure doesn`t seem fair, I am starting to keep a graph and watch our crime, and all that is going fast is children and alcoholics.
My son is special ed due to learning disabled, he can hardly read and everything is 4th or 5th grade level work in school, I am not sure how he will ever get through this program or why he has to do any of it, if in fact he is innocent and only pled guilty after the interrogation. But none of his disabilty means anything, its like nobody cares, it worries me that he is with others who have even committed murder and God knows what else. He has always been a follower, and I hope someday he can become more independent and use his own judgement, but only God knows.
I believed the detective when he told me that he would bring him right back, he made me so comfortable I didn`t even see reason to go with my son, so he was all alone with this man. If I had known that this would have been the outcome I would have went.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">