• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

14 Year old son

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

r_u_listening63

What is the name of your state? Indiana
My son was suspended for 10 days because he pulled a fire alarm at school. I just recieved a letter from his school saying they was going to expel him for the rest of the year. He has never been in trouble for anything, and gets good grades in school. I also got a letter for a probation officer about a informal intake appointment next week. What will happen to my son? He says it was an accident and he stayed at the alarm until a security officer came. Thank You

Indiana Filer

What is the name of your state? Indiana
My son was suspended for 10 days because he pulled a fire alarm at school. I just recieved a letter from his school saying they was going to expel him for the rest of the year. He has never been in trouble for anything, and gets good grades in school. I also got a letter for a probation officer about a informal intake appointment next week. What will happen to my son? He says it was an accident and he stayed at the alarm until a security officer came. Thank You
I'm a juvenile Probation Officer in Indiana. For certain offenses, the school will "due process" the student, which means the school wants to expel the student. What you need to do is to contact the school superintendent's office ASAP to request an expulsion hearing. That hearing will be the opportunity for the student and parents to present reasons why the student should not be expelled.

The expulsion examiner (possibly the superintendent or assistant superintendent), a school official (probably the principal), the student, and the parents will be present, as well as anyone else that is pertinent to the case. As a probation officer, I try to go to all expulsion hearings that involve my clients. I can only go if the parents allow me to be present. If they don't want me there, I don't go.

The school official will explain the circumstances that caused them to recommend the expulsion, and will tell how those circumstances violated the law or school rules. The child and parents will then get a chance to refute the allegations, and to tell why the student should still be allowed to attend school. Has your son ever been in trouble in school before? Be prepared for your son to explain why he did this, and how he plans to not do anything similar in the future. He needs to think hard about how he would answer if the examiner asks him why everyone is there at the hearing, specifically why mom and/or dad are there at the hearing.

The decision by the hearing examiner is final. If he/she recommends expulsion, there are no appeals.

Not for the Preliminary Inquiry at the probation department. Make sure you take your son's social security number, as well as your own. Both parents are not required to appear, at least in my county. They'll want the social security numbers and birthdates of both parents, also.

The Probation Officer will read your and your son his rights, when ask you to sign an acknowledgment of rights form, which is not signing away any rights. At that point, if you choose to speak with the officer, the officer will probably read the police report to you, and ask him for his version of what happened if it is different than that in the official report.

The officer will want to know about your son's history. Does he behave? What kind of friends does he have? How does he get punished when he misbehaves? When I do these, I want to get a pretty good picture of what the child and the family is like so that I can make appropriate recommendations to the prosecutor.

After the interview, the probation officer will write a report to the prosecutor giving information on the case, and with a recommendation for how the case should be handled. There are several options: 1) the case is dismissed, which means it goes away; 2) it gets referred to the Department of Child Services, if there are neglect or abuse issues; 3) a formal petition gets filed, which means your son has to appear before a judge to admit or deny the charges; or 4) the child gets placed on a Program of Informal Adjustment (an IFA).

An IFA is sort of a "probation lite" or deferred adjudication for minors. It's usually only offered for first offenses, and for misdemeanors or status offenses. Since, if I remember correctly, a false fire alarm is a Class B Misdemeanor, the IFA might be recommended. This is just MY OPINION, so it could be different in your son's case. Your son will probably have to do some community service, attend classes of some sort, and other terms.

When are you scheduled to see the Probation Officer? (I doubt this is my county since I haven't seen a police report for this offense, unless it just came in today.)

Any questions?

r_u_listening63

It can be an accident when someone is pushed into the alarm by another person. There has been 5 teachers that has sent me a letter stating that it was an accident. The school however is still planning on expelling him, but I won't know for sure untill the 14th. I'm hoping that this letter will help my son at his hearing and the informal intake we have to go to. Does anyone know what kind of punishment he will be facing?

r_u_listening63

Thank you Indiana Filer. My son has never been in any trouble at all. He is not allowed to run the streets and is only allowed to visit with a few close friends. I recieved a letter today from 5 teachers asking that he not be expelled because he is a good kid, well liked and gives respect to everyone including his teachers and peers. They gave me the letter to take to his intake appointment and to the hearing about being expelled. They stated that it was not intentional. Will this letter help? He loves school and is going to priority school right now and he has developed a skin issue due to the stress of all this. He worries that all this will causes him to miss out on college because he wants to work in the law field. He goes to his intake on the 14th at 9:30.

Last edited:

CdwJava

It can be an accident when someone is pushed into the alarm by another person.
Your school has "push" fire alarms? Ours out here require a very hard and intentional pull.

There has been 5 teachers that has sent me a letter stating that it was an accident.
If they did not personally witness the alleged "push" then their statements that it might have been an accident is likely not too relevant.

If it is possible to bump or accidentally push an alarm to set it off, why does the school believe he did it intentionally? Are there students or staff that claim he DID do it intentionally? Or that maybe this "push" was an act to cover up his intentionally pulling the alarm?

I suspect the administration will have to present some better argument than, "The alarm went off" to convincingly claim that (a) he did it, and (b) he did it intentionally.

- Carl

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I've never seen a fire alarm that can be pushed to activate it. Well, except for home security systems. But a fire alarm that they have in public buildings? The only way I see a "push" setting it off would be if he reached to grab something to keep from falling, and grabbed the lever. But even that's a bit of a stretch.

Indiana Filer

Thank you Indiana Filer. My son has never been in any trouble at all. He is not allowed to run the streets and is only allowed to visit with a few close friends. I recieved a letter today from 5 teachers asking that he not be expelled because he is a good kid, well liked and gives respect to everyone including his teachers and peers. They gave me the letter to take to his intake appointment and to the hearing about being expelled. They stated that it was not intentional. Will this letter help? He loves school and is going to priority school right now and he has developed a skin issue due to the stress of all this. He worries that all this will causes him to miss out on college because he wants to work in the law field. He goes to his intake on the 14th at 9:30.
Since his intake is on the 14th, I know he's definitely not in my county. I wanted to make sure before I posted any more to this thread, just on the off-chance it would end up being in my office.

Take the letter to the Intake appt, and to the Expulsion hearing. It could help, and it couldn't hurt.

Even if he gets a formal petition filed against him, and has to appear in Court, if he doesn't violate his terms of probation at all and gets in no other trouble, he would probably be able to get this expunged when he's an adult.

Read this for info on the juvenile system in Indiana:
http://www.co.monroe.in.us/probation/Forms/2006%20Parent's%20Handbook.pdf

Last edited:

fairisfair

It can be an accident when someone is pushed into the alarm by another person. There has been 5 teachers that has sent me a letter stating that it was an accident. The school however is still planning on expelling him, but I won't know for sure untill the 14th. I'm hoping that this letter will help my son at his hearing and the informal intake we have to go to. Does anyone know what kind of punishment he will be facing?

I sincerely doubt it was an accident. But it hardly seems like a hanging offense either.

I went to a reunion (high school) where somebody pulled the fire alarm. I guess you just never grow up.

good luck!!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">