• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

14yo in a Bar

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PAFrustratedMom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

My 14yo and her friend entered a bar and got served.
The drinks were even given on the house.
The LCB is now involved, looking to revoke the bars licsense.
The LCB wants me 14yo to make a statement to use as evidence against the bar, and to sign the statement.
The Police Man we are dealing with says they are not looking to press charges against my child, they are not contacting school or any other agency.
This statement will go into evidence and remain there.
I can't afford an attorney to be present at the statement, but I will be.

Can my child be held accountable ?

OHRoadwarrior

Make the DA give a written agreement stipulating that your child will not have charges pressed. On the other hand, failure to cooperate could result in charges against your child. Without a lawyer, you need to feel out the situation.

Proseguru

you bet your kid can get into trouble....up to you if you want your kid not to testify

I wouldn't ... not your job to do police's work.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

My 14yo and her friend entered a bar and got served.
The drinks were even given on the house.
The LCB is now involved, looking to revoke the bars licsense.
The LCB wants me 14yo to make a statement to use as evidence against the bar, and to sign the statement.
The Police Man we are dealing with says they are not looking to press charges against my child, they are not contacting school or any other agency.
This statement will go into evidence and remain there.
I can't afford an attorney to be present at the statement, but I will be.

Can my child be held accountable ?
Why shouldn't your 14 year old be held accountable? She should be punished and not allowed freedom for this. She wouldn't have gotten served if she hadn't a) been in a bar, b) ordered alcohol, c) most likely had fake id on her.
Most likely this is NOT the first time she has done this. So why shouldn't she be held accountable?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Make the DA give a written agreement stipulating that your child will not have charges pressed. On the other hand, failure to cooperate could result in charges against your child. Without a lawyer, you need to feel out the situation.
Truthfully, mom should have her child testify AND have her held accountable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">