• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

14yr old with MDPP with gang involvment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

michiganmother

Michigan

My son was 13 when it took place...just turned 14. My kids were all raised in the country so it seemed all pretty exciting for them to make new friends that they could hang out with daily when we moved into town. I being an idiot didn't pick up on any of the signs of the things that were happening under my nose, until the cops showed up at my door.
He smashed a mail box while hanging with these new so called friends...His little girlfriend found out that her x-step-dad wasn't far from our new home and she, her cousin, and my son destroyed his truck by scratching profanity into the paint with rocks. The cousin took the man's cell phone out of the truck and my son smashed it. My son thought maybe by his girlfriend getting even with this guy it would make her feel better and she wouldn't have to keep going into the hospital for hurting herself over the memories of the alleged abuse and rape that this man inflicted on her. Right or wrong that was his thinking on it.
The new bad "friend" found out what they did and he and my son went back the next day. My son stood on the sidewalk while the "friend" stole a surveillance camera off the house and broke the mans antenna off the truck.
They are rightfully charging my son for his part as well as a couple things that he didn't do that we have to talk to the prosecutor about. Through all of this I found out that these "friends" have gang ties and have done other damage around our little town since all of this with my son. Do I tell the prosecutor about it all when we go in? My son has on his own has given up all connection with all of the kids in our area, and has straightened his act up 10 fold, grades, attitude, everything and I don't want to add more fuel to the fire, yet I don't want these kids to continue to do as they have been and allow the slowly growing problem to get worse. If anyone has any thoughts or idea's I'd love to hear them.

P.S. On the charges when it is worded as over 200 but less than 1000 and then under it it says like 93 days and 2000 or 3 times the amount of the damages which ever is greater. What does that mean? No matter how I do the math it doesn't add up. Also I would like to know if the courts are generally willing to work with people to pay these kinds of things. We are on a strict budget with little to no wiggle room.

Thank You

Litigation!

michiganmother said:
Michigan

My son was 13 when it took place...just turned 14. My kids were all raised in the country so it seemed all pretty exciting for them to make new friends that they could hang out with daily when we moved into town. I being an idiot didn't pick up on any of the signs of the things that were happening under my nose, until the cops showed up at my door.
He smashed a mail box while hanging with these new so called friends...His little girlfriend found out that her x-step-dad wasn't far from our new home and she, her cousin, and my son destroyed his truck by scratching profanity into the paint with rocks. The cousin took the man's cell phone out of the truck and my son smashed it. My son thought maybe by his girlfriend getting even with this guy it would make her feel better and she wouldn't have to keep going into the hospital for hurting herself over the memories of the alleged abuse and rape that this man inflicted on her. Right or wrong that was his thinking on it.
The new bad "friend" found out what they did and he and my son went back the next day. My son stood on the sidewalk while the "friend" stole a surveillance camera off the house and broke the mans antenna off the truck.
They are rightfully charging my son for his part as well as a couple things that he didn't do that we have to talk to the prosecutor about. Through all of this I found out that these "friends" have gang ties and have done other damage around our little town since all of this with my son. Do I tell the prosecutor about it all when we go in? My son has on his own has given up all connection with all of the kids in our area, and has straightened his act up 10 fold, grades, attitude, everything and I don't want to add more fuel to the fire, yet I don't want these kids to continue to do as they have been and allow the slowly growing problem to get worse. If anyone has any thoughts or idea's I'd love to hear them.

P.S. On the charges when it is worded as over 200 but less than 1000 and then under it it says like 93 days and 2000 or 3 times the amount of the damages which ever is greater. What does that mean? No matter how I do the math it doesn't add up. Also I would like to know if the courts are generally willing to work with people to pay these kinds of things. We are on a strict budget with little to no wiggle room.

Thank You

My response:

Check the "Visiting Hours" sign. Sonny Boy will be in lock-up until he's 18. Look at it this way, by the time he gets out, he will have learned how to make passionate love to men.

IAAL

Neal1421

michiganmother said:
Michigan

Thank You
Your son needs a lawyer. I suggest hiring one as soon as possible.

michiganmother

First I'd like to thank you for taking the time to respond. I have already been told that he will not be "locked up", he will Not be removed from my home or anything of the nature. This is the first time my child has ever done anything wrong home,school,socially or other wise. He simply got mixed up with the wrong people, and this destruction spree all took place inside of a weeks time span. Nothing like peer pressure to make a good kid do stupid things.
My question was if my son and I should tell the prosecutor about the friend having gang ties, namely the childs brother, and about the other destruction we know this child and his little gang has done, none of which my son has anything to do with. I'm afraid if we do then it could make it worse on my son with both the current charges against him as well as retaliation from the ones who did it. I don't know if they can use the information we have without bring in my sons name.
As for hiring an attorney, I wish I could just so I could get all my questions answered but I can hardly afford my consumer bill much less an attorney's rates, that's why I'm here, I have no place else to turn.

outonbail

michiganmother said:
First I'd like to thank you for taking the time to respond. I have already been told that he will not be "locked up", he will Not be removed from my home or anything of the nature. This is the first time my child has ever done anything wrong home,school,socially or other wise. He simply got mixed up with the wrong people, and this destruction spree all took place inside of a weeks time span. Nothing like peer pressure to make a good kid do stupid things.
My question was if my son and I should tell the prosecutor about the friend having gang ties, namely the childs brother, and about the other destruction we know this child and his little gang has done, none of which my son has anything to do with. I'm afraid if we do then it could make it worse on my son with both the current charges against him as well as retaliation from the ones who did it. I don't know if they can use the information we have without bring in my sons name.
As for hiring an attorney, I wish I could just so I could get all my questions answered but I can hardly afford my consumer bill much less an attorney's rates, that's why I'm here, I have no place else to turn.
The less you say the better off your son will be. Besides, if he knew all this illegal/gang activity was going on, why would he continue to hang around these delinquents and involve himself in their undertakings?

The court will punish your son for his behavior because he is responsible for his actions. Stop trying to white wash the fact that he voluntarily participated in the illegal acts by blaming peer pressure. This makes it appear that you and your son are not taking full responsibility for his actions. When the Judge recognizes this, he will determine how stiff of a penalty it will require for you and your son the get the message that placing the blame somewhere else, isn't going to teach your son that he's responsible for his actions, no one else.

BL

The best thing your son can do is show remorse for his actions , refrain from the kinds of activities he was involved in , take his lumps and learn from it , and move on with life .

As for " gang " activities , Laws and punishments have gotten stricter on this kind of activities .

I'm sure if it's a small community , the Police are watching delinquents , and will be watching your son as well .

Litigation!

My response:

This won't be the last time for Sonny Boy, either. Sonny Boy has only just begun at the age of 13. He'll be making love to men in no time!

Buy him a supply of KY Jelly . . . he's going to need it!

Oh, and I just love the statement, "This is his first time in trouble." LADY, THE KID IS ONLY 14 NOW!!

What a dumb-ass schmuck this kid has for a mother.

IAAL

smutlydog

michiganmother said:
You shouldn't be comunicating with the prosecuter.You mention anything about gang ties and they will hang your son on the court house lawn. That's how it would work where I live.
:eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">