• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

15 year old honor student

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

b213j410

My 15yr old son is an honor roll student who has been on the Deans list twice and is in a couple of local and national honor societies. He has never been in any trouble in his life and is praised by all of his teachers for not only his academic achievements but for also being such a great person. With all of this being said he was involved in a practical joke gone bad. He removed another students' ipod from his desk and handed it off to someone who he believed was the students' friend and who was also supposed to give it back. The other student damaged the ipod and did not give it back in a prompt manner.
My son was suspended from school for 4 days, however, after speaking with my son and me the Principal of the school overturned the decision and reinstated my son to school. I have just received a letter from the Department of Juvenile Justice stating that my son has been ordered to report because he is being tried for Grand Larceny!!! I really need some advice on what to do...

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Hire an attorney. Your son stole. He committed a crime. Understand? He is a criminal. You admitted it. Don't care that he is smart. He is also a criminal. His honor society background will show that he is smart enough to KNOW that you do not take someone's property WITHOUT their permission. Yet he apparently is NOT that smart.
So hire an attorney.

b213j410

Rudeness should also be a crime

To Ohiogal

Guy or gal your ability to be so rude should land your ass in jail. My son is NOT a criminal! He handed the ipod to another boy who he thought was a good friend of the victim. He did not keep the ipod or use it for his own personal gain or glory. He is the one who told the Principal when he realized that the ipod had not been returned. There is alot more to the situation that I obviously did not post here. If the Principal, Vice Principal, and Counselor found my son innocent evidentally there is more to the story wouldn't you think Einstein. I just wanted some nonjudgemental advice, but thanks for nothing *******!

b213j410

Virginia

We reside in the state of Virginia. Attention: If your comment is going to show how stupid you can be over the internet please keep your small minded reply to yourself.

Anyone else with advice of serious value to share please reply.

Quote: People can only assume that you are a fool until you open your mouth and prove them right.

PJ Weber

My son is NOT a criminal! He handed the ipod to another boy who he thought was a good friend of the victim. He did not keep the ipod or use it for his own personal gain or glory. He is the one who told the Principal when he realized that the ipod had not been returned
The iPod did not magically jump to the other boy

The Honor Student willingly removed it from the rightful owner, and handed it to someone who was not the rightful owner. That is theft no matter how you slice it

He handed the ipod to another boy who he thought was a good friend of the victim.
He thought the other boy was a friend, why didn't he know

Ohiogal was far from rude. Your son should have known better than most, but he did it anyway. No matter how many positives you son has going for him, this one small incident wiped out all the positives for a period of time

You have already received valuable information. . . . (Get a Lawyer)

Last edited:

CdwJava

He removed another students' ipod from his desk and handed it off to someone who he believed was the students' friend and who was also supposed to give it back. The other student damaged the ipod and did not give it back in a prompt manner.
Okay. How is that not a crime?

As Ohiogal (who is an attorney) said, he committed a crime. Honor student or not, if the elements of the offense of grand larceny have been met, then a crime has been committed. Whether he will ultimately be prosecuted for the crime or not will be up to the police and to the DA.

Many practical jokes and pranks are borderline criminal to begin with. The ones that go well are not reported .. the ones that go bad become crimes.

My son was suspended from school for 4 days, however, after speaking with my son and me the Principal of the school overturned the decision and reinstated my son to school.
He is very lucky.

I have just received a letter from the Department of Juvenile Justice stating that my son has been ordered to report because he is being tried for Grand Larceny!!! I really need some advice on what to do...
I would strongly recommend you hire an attorney for him. An attorney may make the difference between his ultimately going to trial or getting some kind of diversion (community service, pay restitution, etc.).

Here is the offense of Grand Larceny from the Virgina Code:

§ 18.2-95. Grand larceny defined; how punished.

Any person who (i) commits larceny from the person of another of money or other thing of value of $5 or more, (ii) commits simple larceny not from the person of another of goods and chattels of the value of $200 or more, or (iii) commits simple larceny not from the person of another of any firearm, regardless of the firearm's value, shall be guilty of grand larceny, punishable by imprisonment in a state correctional facility for not less than one nor more than twenty years or, in the discretion of the jury or court trying the case without a jury, be confined in jail for a period not exceeding twelve months or fined not more than $2,500, either or both.​
So, if he took something with a value of $200 or more, he is guilty of grand larceny. He should hope that it can be shown that the value of the iPod was LESS than $200.

- Carl

Raptoer

Every kid, regardless of how smart they are, will make mistakes. Your son sounds similar to me, and I had my one experience with the law, it was nothing like what your son went through, but the similarities are there.

I suspect that your son is a very trustworthy person, and he also is a very trusting person. He wasn't thinking, and didn't smell the fish in front of him. He did something wrong, you must agree. Legally, what he did was theft, and made him a criminal. But that does not mean he is an evil person, nor does it mean he will turn into a drug addict, ect ,ect. It is very difficult to go through life without being a criminal.

Your son is not perfect, he trusted someone who was not to be trusted, and didn't think about his actions. I'm quite certain he knows that theft is wrong, but it did not click in his mind that what he did was theft. As we age into our late teens we gain foresight into the long term consequences of our actions. That does not mean he is off the hook, and you cannot let him off the hook just because he is a well accomplished student and person.

I have one question though, did either your family, or the other family, replace the broken ipod? outside of legality, that really is the right thing to do. Tell your son that he is to pay for half (or some other amount), and have him work for it. Don't give your child a free ride.

Onto the legal advice, There is a chance it will go to trial. There is also a chance that it will be dismissed. Play it safe and get an attorney. Make sure that your son knows he did something wrong, and that being a good person isn't going to get him off the hook. This doesn't have to turn into a life changing event, it should be merely a stepping stone on the path to maturity for you son.

Everything Ohiogal said is correct, perhaps a little harsh, but correct. We may be rude, but you asked for free help on the internet, you must accept that you will not like everything thing that we will say. And the world would be boring if everyone was forced not to be rude, it would all look like politics, with everyone carefully choosing their words as to not offend anyone.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Nice PM you sent me.
Sicko

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You really need to watch what you say to people. If someone is here asking advice common sense should tell you that they are in a state of anguish most times. What type of person kicks another while they are down? You really need some compassion and a lot of prayer!

I sincerely hope that the way you try to make people feel will fall upon you tenfold before your miserable life is finally over. What a complete moron!
Calling me a sicko? I am not the one raising a criminal. State of Anguish? Hmmm....That is not one of the states in this country. And I am not dealing with common sense -- because common sense would tell your little thief that taking something that belongs to someone else without their permission is against the law. Oh yeah but your darling angel is not that smart. You don't like what I say? Oh well. As for being a complete moron -- sorry but my degrees and education show otherwise as well as my lack of a criminal record -- unlike your darling child.

I didn't kick anyone when they were down. I pointed out facts. THE FACT is your smart child was not smart enough to realize he was committing a crime. THE FACT is your child regardless of his honor society is looking at facing a reputation for being a criminal. THE FACT is your child needs an attorney so that hopefully he won't have a record to ruin his life or his chances of getting into college.

I am the sicko? You are the one raising a criminal. Grow up and face facts. Okay moron?

CdwJava

Wow! :eek:

Ohiogal, I don't think I have ever seen this from you!

My cop heart is getting all a-twitter! :D

- Carl

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Wow! :eek:

Ohiogal, I don't think I have ever seen this from you!

My cop heart is getting all a-twitter! :D

- Carl
Come to the family law section and you will see this constantly. Sorry but quite frankly I HATE when people make excuses for their stupidity. I have too many clients that try that bull with me and I call them on it. And too many parents seem to think that if they make an excuse junior won't get in trouble and everyone will participate in their pity party. Sorry but I am not a pity partier.

And I am glad I make your cop heart all a-twitter. I may be a lawyer but I have great respect for the good guys in blue.

PJ Weber

You on the other hand Ohiogal are a big disappointment to mothers everywhere! Even with all of your degrees we can all see that you are not smart at all. Do you even have a mother or father...or children. I hope you never have children because the last thing the world needs is any little yous running about. You are probably one of those very unattractive miserable people with no spouse, children or friends and has used your worthless degrees and this internet site to keep your cold heart warm at night. LOL, I feel so sorry for you. I am sure that if your mother would have known the mistake she was making she would have aborted!
Two words of advice to you: Plastic surgery. It may make you a happier and a more compassionate person.
Yikes :eek:

Such inner vitriol vented. I would expected better from the mother of a Honor Student, but I guess sonny takes after mom. I will look for sonny on COPS in two or three years

I am most certainly not voting for you for Mother of the Year :D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">