• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

15 year old. physical assault.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

johnny141980

State: New York

I got into a fight with another 15 year old and accidently broke a few of his fingers. We have this "rule" to say that we won't report anything but I think he would so I want to be prepared for it. What should I know in advanced? What should I do to defend just incase?

The situation was:
He said offense things about me
I attacked him and broke a few of his fingers

Any assistance would be appreicated. Thank you.

moburkes

johnny141980 said:

I got into a fight with another 15 year old and accidently broke a few of his fingers. We have this "rule" to say that we won't report anything but I think he would so I want to be prepared for it. What should I know in advanced? What should I do to defend just incase?

The situation was:

You're kidding, right? I think you already defended yourself..when you broke his fingers. However, you should be prepared to pay for his medical bills, at the very least. I'm sure, if you offer to do that, the other immature 15-year old won't break the "rule".

outonbail

johnny141980 said:

The situation was:

Ah yes, it has been years since I went to school on the east coast,,, but it's nice to read things haven't changed any since then.

Just to give you a little inside information, I've been in your shoes, so this is the voice of experience talking.

As you get older, or maybe sooner (if you move out of New York altogether) you will learn, that because someone has said offensive things about you, it doesn't give you the right to break his fingers or any other limbs for that matter. In fact, someone saying offensive things to you or about you, doesn't give you the right to even lay a finger on them.

You can only resort to using physical force, when you are in fear for your safety or that of your family and are protecting yourself from immediate harm. Even in this situation, you are only allowed to use enough force, to remove the threat of injury to yourself. You can not continue to beat, kick or punch someone who is laying on the ground with their eyes closed.
If you continue to resort to physical violence because of what someone said, you should expect to pay out some hefty amounts of money for legal fees, fines, medical bills, victim restitution, anger management classes etc. and then, spend some time in jail on top of all that.

So, do not continue to break fingers because of what someone said about you.

Now if they say something about your mother, that's entirely different! :D

C

CALIF-LAWPRO62

My response:

You should have hit the little bitch with a Louisville Slugger baseball bat. Swinging, and hitting, and smashing, swinging, and hitting, and smashing, swinging, and hitting, and smashing, swinging, and hitting, and smashing, until his face looked like hamburger meat.

Or, you could have done what "Outonbail" suggested, but it's a little too late now. Now you are SO screwed!

IAAL

vonnegutfan

outonbail,
Nice post! I couldn't agree more.
I actually got arrested when I was 16 or 17 in high school for a fight. We both knew better than to be fighting, but this kid was mean as hell to my girlfriend at the time. It was more of a wrestling match, really. No punches were thrown. No one got hurt. We got fined for, i think, disturbing the peace and disorderly conduct and some other stuff because we didn't get off of each other the moment the teacher told us to.

But yeah, OP, don't be doing this crap. Hopefully, you can talk the other kid into just taping up his fingers. That's all the doctors do anyway. I played football for years. The first time I broke a finger, I went to the doctor and he charged me a bunch of money just to splint it. Every time after, I just taped them up myself.

xylene

The snitch rule BS...

johnny141980 said:
We have this "rule" to say that we won't report anything but I think he would so I want to be prepared for it.
Is the "We" you refer to a community of dirty street thugs?

Just wondering.

Here is a little lesson. The snitch rule, it only applies to your co-conspirators.

The victim of your assualt is not a snitch for reporting your violent behavior.

AND

Snitches get rewarded! YAY! That's right you you little deadbeat.

To quote on of my favorite movies where the snitch WINS, Goodfellas

"See ya in Attica, dick."

moburkes

vonnegutfan said:
outonbail,
Nice post! I couldn't agree more.
I actually got arrested when I was 16 or 17 in high school for a fight. We both knew better than to be fighting, but this kid was mean as hell to my girlfriend at the time. It was more of a wrestling match, really. No punches were thrown. No one got hurt. We got fined for, i think, disturbing the peace and disorderly conduct and some other stuff because we didn't get off of each other the moment the teacher told us to.

But yeah, OP, don't be doing this crap. Hopefully, you can talk the other kid into just taping up his fingers. That's all the doctors do anyway. I played football for years. The first time I broke a finger, I went to the doctor and he charged me a bunch of money just to splint it. Every time after, I just taped them up myself.
So he shouldn't beat up on people, but its okay for you to drink and drive?

vonnegutfan

johnny, based on your post, I wouldn't call you a deadbeat. You have to follow your heart and your gut when it comes to things like this.
You're obviously not a street thug, because you're worried about getting in trouble, and you're posting on a message board online about it. That is a very good thing and shows me you're on the right track.
This poster, xylene doesn't know what street life is, and you don't want to know, either.
Putting other people down is a common thing that you're gonna have to deal with in life every day.
Take every opportunity you have to better yourself. Some kids don't have the opportunity, and would give anythng for the chances most of us take for granted.

vonnegutfan

moburkes,
It's obviously not ok to drink and drive. It will get you into big trouble.
You know how I stand on this. The laws are entirely too harsh on DUI. I didn't hurt anyone, yet I'm being charged with a misdemeanor, probably losing my job and license, being put on probation, and paying a heck of a lot of money. It's not right. If I did hurt someone, I feel I should be charged for whatever is applicable (though knowing me, jail time would be the least of my worries). However, the same goes for that guy who's reading the newspaper while he's driving and kills someone. Or the excessive speeder. It is no different.

Aren't you the one who closed my thread just when it was getting good, and now you're bringing it all back again? Come on.

Happy Trails

No one can say what action the victim will take, if any.

File assault charges?

Sue you for his medical bills and pain and suffering?

People learn quite young (and I'm sure they have heard it in NY as well), "Sticks and stones may break my bones but names willl never hurt me".

moburkes

vonnegutfan said:
moburkes,
It's obviously not ok to drink and drive. It will get you into big trouble.
You know how I stand on this. The laws are entirely too harsh on DUI. I didn't hurt anyone, yet I'm being charged with a misdemeanor, probably losing my job and license, being put on probation, and paying a heck of a lot of money. It's not right. If I did hurt someone, I feel I should be charged for whatever is applicable (though knowing me, jail time would be the least of my worries). However, the same goes for that guy who's reading the newspaper while he's driving and kills someone. Or the excessive speeder. It is no different.

Aren't you the one who closed my thread just when it was getting good, and now you're bringing it all back again? Come on.
I have no authority to close someone's thread. I think you have to be M A R Y, the OP of the thread, or have admin capabilities. But thanks for thinking of me:D

johnny141980

Indeed, I'm quite familiar with the "snitch" rule, and I must've forgotten that it doesn't hurt him to get me into trouble.

Does anyone know where I might find some information on what's the max sentence I would get if he does press charges, because I think he is. We used to be friends but ever since he started doing bad stuff (let's just leave it at that), he's been weird.

Any help would be further appreciated. Thanks.

Mbarr77

johnny141980 said:
Indeed, I'm quite familiar with the "snitch" rule, and I must've forgotten that it doesn't hurt him to get me into trouble.

Does anyone know where I might find some information on what's the max sentence I would get if he does press charges, because I think he is. We used to be friends but ever since he started doing bad stuff (let's just leave it at that), he's been weird.

The maximum sentence depends on what and if they charge you with.

fairisfair

johnny141980 said:

Oh, you're breaking peoples fingers, and he's doing bad stuff:rolleyes:

As for any kind of sentencing, difficult to say, based on your age, and lack of knowledge of your criminal history.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">