• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

16 year old

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

szv3044

What is the name of your state? Illinois:eek: Can my 16 year old son be questioned by the police without his parents present at time of interview. He was accused of stealing in school from some other kids locker.

CdwJava

szv3044 said:
What is the name of your state? Illinois:eek: Can my 16 year old son be questioned by the police without his parents present at time of interview. He was accused of stealing in school from some other kids locker.
Yes, he can. The police do not need your permission to talk to him.

- Carl

szv3044

Thank you, I just wanted to see if it would be okay for me to ask to listen to the interview. I want to be fuly informed of what he says and what he is asked.

CdwJava

szv3044 said:
Thank you, I just wanted to see if it would be okay for me to ask to listen to the interview. I want to be fuly informed of what he says and what he is asked.
You can ask, but they may not have to let you in. However, your son can always invoke his right to remain silent and depending on IL law, if he asks for his parents this might have the same request as asking for an attorney (it does in my state, but this may not be true anywhere else).

Your best bet would be to speak to a local attorney on the issue.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">