• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

16 year-old from Michigan; questions on emancipation/marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anomaly88

What is the name of your state? Michigan
I’m a 16-year-old female from Michigan and wish to become emancipated or married. I currently live with my mother in an apartment, as when I told my parents about my relationship I have with a 20-year-old from Texas they both flipped out, and I had to move out of my father’s place as it was a danger (and hell) to live there, and it’s barley any better with my mother. Living with my mother is terrible, and I’m in a depression because of it. I want to finish high school and go to college, and have good grades, and have always been a good kid and stayed out of trouble. Will it be hard to obtain emancipation? She had a brain aneurysm and stroke a few years ago, and as a result has some issues, such as emotions and her ability to communicate, and is also on social security since she doesn't work. Every day she makes me feel so terrible, and has even posed a physical threat on more than one occasion. Is it possible to obtain emancipation/getting custody switched over to Marc (the Texan) without parental consent or if I’m living with my mother at the moment? I feel and am in a bad situation living with her and in the environment that I am and want out, want to be with someone who'll never do those things to me. I want to know how I can get emancipated\married to become emancipated so that the next year and a half of my life doesn't make me sick to my stomach and wake up crying or hurting from being mentally, emotionally, and at times almost physically abused.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
You cannot marry in MI under the age of 18 w/o the consent of your parent. For emancipation:

STATUS OF MINORS AND CHILD SUPPORT (EXCERPT) Act 293 of 1968 722.4c Hearing; issuance of emancipation order; burden of proof; retaining copy of order; emancipation obtained by fraud voidable; appeal. Sec. 4c. (1) The hearing shall be before a judge or referee sitting without a jury. If the minor requests that the hearing be before a judge, the hearing shall be before a judge and not before a referee. (2) The court shall issue an emancipation order if it determines that emancipation is in the best interest of the minor and the minor establishes all of the following: (a) That the minor's parent or guardian does not object to the petition; or if a parent or guardian objects to the petition, that the objecting parent or guardian is not providing the minor with support. (b) That the minor is at least 16 years of age. (c) That the minor is a resident of the state. (d) That the minor has demonstrated the ability to manage his or her financial affairs, including proof of employment or other means of support. “Other means of support” does not include general assistance or aid to families with dependent children administered under the social welfare act, Act No. 280 of the Public Acts of 1939, being sections 400.1 to 400.121 of the Michigan Compiled Laws. (e) That the minor has the ability to manage his or her personal and social affairs, including, but not limited to, proof of housing. (f) That the minor understands his or her rights and responsibilities under this act as an emancipated minor. (3) A minor who petitions the court for emancipation shall have the burden of showing by a preponderance of evidence that emancipation should be ordered. (4) If the court issues an emancipation order, the court shall retain a copy of the order until the emancipated minor becomes 25 years of age. (5) An emancipation obtained by fraud is voidable. Voiding such an order does not affect an obligation, responsibility, right, or interest that arose during the period of time the order was in effect. (6) The minor or a parent or guardian of the minor may file an appeal from the court's grant or denial of an emancipation petition. The appeal shall be filed in the court of appeals. History: Add. 1988, Act 403, Eff. Mar. 30, 1989 Popular Name: Emancipation of Minors Act
That means thyat you need your parents' consent, and you need to be totally self-sufficient financially. In other words, able to pay for housing (not with a roommate, but on your own), food, transportation, clothing, entertainment, medical care, school expenses, etc. A court will NOT emancipate you so you can move out of state to live with your adult boyfriend.

Let me guess - you met him on the Internet?

ENASNI

umm

Nice Kid...
Instead of trying to find out if your internet boyfriend can take you in.
Why not take a look at how to find out if you can help your MOTHER.

She did give birth to you, before her unfortunate incident... wasn't she a cool Kool-aid mom..
Or is this just teenangst...???
Jeesh my sixteen year old and I just had a healthy discussion last night... where she called me crazy at least 5 times.

I was wishing a brain aneurism on myself... but held it cool.. No sleepover camp outs without an adult! I do care that one is 18... that is not what I mean by adult and in the same way that IS why I mean NO!

There are some things a kid can endure and some things a kid can't If you are really in so much emotional distress.. get some outside help (besides an internet cowboy)... both you and Mom need some counselling.

Wolflmg

No court is going to allow you to emancipatate from your mother, just so you can be with you boyfriend, who's an adult, while your still a minor. More then likely the court would frown upon that, especialy if your having sex with him.

But if you meant him over the internet only, chances are he might not be who he says he is. He could be some psycho after little girls on the internet, that kind of thing happens all the time. So be warned. Sure maybe he sent you a picture of himself, but do you know how easy it is to find any radom picture over the internet and use it as yours. It's way too easy.
Sure not everyone you chat with online are psycho's after little girls and boys, but come on a 20 year old guy, talking to a 16 year old, wanting to start a realationship, something just doesn't seem right.

ENASNI

you go wolf

Wolflmg said:
No court is going to allow you to emancipatate from your mother, just so you can be with you boyfriend, who's an adult, while your still a minor. More then likely the court would frown upon that, especialy if your having sex with him.

But if you meant him over the internet only, chances are he might not be who he says he is. He could be some psycho after little girls on the internet, that kind of thing happens all the time. So be warned. Sure maybe he sent you a picture of himself, but do you know how easy it is to find any radom picture over the internet and use it as yours. It's way too easy.
Sure not everyone you chat with online are psycho's after little girls and boys, but come on a 20 year old guy, talking to a 16 year old, wanting to start a realationship, something just doesn't seem right.
sometimes it is hard to hear from us "grownups" but wolfie here is a 21 year old that went through some ****... so listen...
Ok Mom go bye bye... listen!

TNBSMommy

Honey, my mother died of a brain aneurysm when I was 18... I would give every single day of my last ten years to be where you are now, and have that time with her...you have no idea how lucky you are to have her even ALIVE right now, and it is a da## shame you are too selfish to see it.

ENASNI

sorry

TNBSMommy said:
Honey, my mother died of a brain aneurysm when I was 18... I would give every single day of my last ten years to be where you are now, and have that time with her...you have no idea how lucky you are to have her even ALIVE right now, and it is a da## shame you are too selfish to see it.

I am sorry.. for your loss.. I would hate for my 16 year old to think these things about me so I have a predjudiced view so I welcome Young Wolf in
He has the youth and remembrance (if not the spelling !!! :p ) to talk to these kids... even though this is supposed to be legal.. We all go amiss...

My daughter... after our fights... has said when she has talked to her friends after they have had their fights... that she is glad I listen.

This girls mother is having her own issues... She is not the same woman she used to be... let alone mother.

16 year olds have a tendancy to be selfish... no matter what... they can try to help it but most times they cannot.

OP she is your MOMMY... try to help

undergroundthry

Maybe it's just my outlook on our generation now a days, but I think most of us are far beyond spoiled and brats. Yeah ok, you're probably thinking to yourself how stupid I am for another person your age giving a lecture through a forum, but honestly, be grateful of whatever you've got. Your may not like your mother, but she gave birth to you and deep down, you're still her daughter and a mother's natural instinct is to protect their own. She'll continue to support you whenever you need it. And think about it...if you're boyfriend from Texas dumps you, where are you going to go? (long-distance relationships don't work out too well either)

I went on a 3-month summer trip around the world to help those in need, and on multiple occassions, we had to live like the natives (in the middle of nowhere, with nobody but 2 other people and the native groups, and one pair of clean clothes.

It's a hard life living on your own with no money and other necessities. Take some time and think about it. My advice is stay with your mother, or close family relative if you don't like her.

Wolflmg

ENASNI said:
sometimes it is hard to hear from us "grownups" but wolfie here is a 21 year old that went through some ****... so listen...
Ok Mom go bye bye... listen!
Yeah. I ran across a few of those internet perverts out there, sure they start out friendly, but then they change their tune on you, luckily I was smart enough to tell them off or block them, sadly some teens and even kids aren't that lucky.

AHA

anomaly88 said:
have good grades, and have always been a good kid and stayed out of trouble.want to be with someone who'll never do those things to me.
The reason you have had the chance to get good grades and stay out of trouble, is because you haven't had to work full time and worry about having enough money for all the bills. Those "adult" issues is something you will have to have control over before ever having a shot in hell at emancipation. Meaning you have to be able to FULLY support yourself WITHOUT ANY HELP FROM ANYONE ELSE and LIVE ON YOUR OWN, not share an apartment with a friend or bf.
You want to be with someone who'll never do "those things" to you.
First of all, if you can't even be on your own, you have a lot of growing up to do and will never be granted emancipation (needy people usually don't!), second how can you be so sure that this adult kiddie hunter you want to shack up with is going to treat you like a princess 24/7 for the rest of your life??? How long and how well do you know him? If he doesn't even live in your state, you can't possible spend enough time together to fully know each other.

Reality check is in order for you, young lady. There are kids that are way worse off than you. Focus on your education, so you can have a good career instead of being a "going nowhere" teen mom in a years time.

TNBSMommy

ENASNI said:
I am sorry.. for your loss.. I would hate for my 16 year old to think these things about me so I have a predjudiced view so I welcome Young Wolf in
He has the youth and remembrance (if not the spelling !!! :p ) to talk to these kids... even though this is supposed to be legal.. We all go amiss...

My daughter... after our fights... has said when she has talked to her friends after they have had their fights... that she is glad I listen.

This girls mother is having her own issues... She is not the same woman she used to be... let alone mother.

16 year olds have a tendancy to be selfish... no matter what... they can try to help it but most times they cannot.

OP she is your MOMMY... try to help

Thank you, Ensani... Sixteen year olds can be selfish, they aren't designed to think what could happen... these posts about how awful mom and dad are bug me anyway, but this one in particular really hit home with me, and irked me.

OP, the world is not all about you you you... you would do well to start thinking of other people, and I don't mean your 'boyfriend'.

anomaly88

For Your Information

((Sorry this is so long and has to be 3 posts))

Well. . . I don’t know what to say first. Well, actually I do, and that would be thank you to stealth2 for your information, it was nothing new I haven’t read or heard before but I do want to thank you for both answering my question and more or less staying with the topic at hand.

With that said, clearly there needs to be some clarification as for one, everyone here has gone off on a major tangent that I in absolutely no way said or intimated to and that would be my relationship with, my experience with my Texan, and just as a side note I am insulted with how you all have regarded him and myself when you know less then nothing about the situation and have gone on information provided by others; it is nor professional nor does it speak kindly of you or your ability to read and understand what is happening.

But, in the hope of still finding advice and still trying to get into a healthy environment I will clarify. First I’ll address my family. Mother got knocked up at 15 with my older sister, the pot head she let do that to hear left her before my sister was even born, so my mom never finished High School for one and has never been good about making choices in her life. Then she got knocked up with me 10 years later, again out of wed-lock and that is the only reason that the woman who gave birth to me and the man who conceived me lived together or were married. Now I can’t tell you what life was like when I was born as no one can remember those things, but from my earliest memories I will tell you three things I remember, fighting between them that often led to shoving, screaming, doors slamming and people going away for days on end, two, that my father always had a beer in his hand or some other type of alcoholic beverage, three that I was their venting pole when the other would run away. Now, tell me if from the age of 4 or 5 it is healthy to be told “this is all your fault, if you had never been born I wouldn’t be so miserable all the time”. So my family life has always been really bad and I hope you can see why we never talk as when they talk they have two levels, they’re calm because they are being listened to exactly or they are screaming because something isn’t right; even if it’s putting the toilet paper on wrong (I kid you not). When I was 6 my parents got a divorce since neither of them could stand the other any longer and we moved out of a two-bedroom one bathroom home and into a trailer. My mom worked at night since she refused to be anything but a bartender so she slept during the day and worked at night leaving my 16 year old sister to watch over me most of the time. After 3 years when my sister got married to an abusive guy my father and mother moved back in with each other, but were still divorced and nothing had changed, still yelling, still fighting, still taking it out on me when they couldn’t take it out on each other. My life was stay in my room and go to school as anything else was getting me yelled at. I tried to join clubs like running, ski, book, etc. Every time I said there was something that interested me I got either from my father “You’ll give that up in a week” or just plain “no” and from my oh so caring mother “Oh that’s just stupid to even think or ask about things like that” I thank god that they teach art in High School as I love it and am quite good at it and would not be able to do it otherwise. I’ve also gotten several praises from my teachers and other people at school students and teachers about my art, all I got from either parent I have was “That’s stupid.” “That looks stupid”. (I’ll take a moment to stop here and also let you know that these are not my interpitations of events but either journal logs or things I can not and will never forget. And if you think I am repeating myself with their vocabulary that is because they are both illiterate and have no vocabulary beyond the word stupid it would seem). They talked bad about every friend I ever had, would never ever let anyone come over and almost never let me go anywhere except school and places with them (like bingo) or maybe now and then out with a friend for a sleepover. Just to reiterate what I said before too about nothing changing, my mother stopped working because my dad worked and he was and still is an alcoholic who I seldom if ever saw not drunk and angry. Before her aneurysm my mom weighted close to 300 pounds and did nothing but watch TV all day and fight with my dad.

I live in a hell of an environment and have since before I can remember but I’ll get into High School now since that seems to be the part that no one here so far has been able to get past. That is where I met my Texan, my “boy friend”. Because of my great grades and my teachers saying I could I got into a college level writing class and that is where I met him; In person, at my high school. However the internet was pivotal to us being what we are today and I am so so thankful for it and to it for allowing us to be what we are. So to answer one question I have known him now for what is getting close to four years, I know him better than I know anyone else in the world and trust him entirely. But, I digress. We met in this college level writing class. At first there was nothing, for at least a month we were just two kids in the same class. We did have to read our work in front of the class often and as I heard his stuff I really liked it and out of all the other people in the class as well as I later came to find was that he liked mine too. It was after one of our reading when we were all getting up to go and he just came over and offered up some encouragement and said that he really liked what I had to write (since he is like that, very encouraging and honest all in one and likes letting people know when they do good) and I told him that I liked the stuff of his I have heard. We talked every now and then, just as friends since that was all that we were. For that whole semester up until my mom had her aneurysm she was saying how she was going to move out, talking to my sister about helping her find some place and how she was going to leave. Then one day after school I come out of my room and find my mom on the ground. I am the one who called 911 and got her to the hospital, and yes I was worried about her even then. And I should take this to point out again if I haven’t already that through all this I got great grades in school, tried to do any social club or activity I could to let me better my mind and experiences and never begrudged my family, merely learned to avoid them when they were in most of their moods; not to mention play mediator and bring them both down when they were mad at each other trying to bring a little peace to our home. My mom was in the hospital and rehab for almost half a year before she came home; the same woman now with an excuse and less skills both motor and cranial, but that same attitude and anger.

Now as someone said, that I and my family needed counseling, well, good advice and been there and done that. After my mother’s aneurysm they sent me to a psychologist since I wasn’t taking the stroke like they thought I should; I knew there was nothing I could do to change the past and that competent doctors were treating her, so all I could do was give all my support and love and care. After just a few sessions with my counseling psychologist (which got some help for the payment through the school) deemed me perfectly all right and it didn’t take long before I got into my family and what that was like. Well she had more then enough to say about that, how it was a very hostile environment and that I was taking that all well, that others in my place have and usually do a lot worse. She said that there were some very big issues in my family and that we should attend family counseling through the same service and that it would be the same price. She called my house and told my parents that this was really needed for the health of my living enviroment and their own peace of mind. Mom “that’s just stupid, no, I’m not some idiot” Dad “F###ing forget that, I don’t have time for your crap or what some woman has to say about my parenting skills”. So yes, I have been to counseling now on more than one occasion and there’s nothing more she can do for me she says, since the issues are in my family and they absolutely refuse counseling.

anomaly88

prt2

My counselor helped, but she really wasn’t able to help me feel better about myself, just tell me the things that any good psychologist would and that I was doing good, but it was just the same old stuff. My Texan though was able to help me a lot more than anyone else had. Now as I said we met in that class, and we both enjoyed each other’s writing and went to the same school. Well from there we went to a couple of our football games, I even went over to his house a couple of times and met his mom (Doctor) and his dad (Psychologist) as well as his younger siblings, but didn’t get to know any of them that well of course as I was nervous to say the least and just met them on passing by. (And no, nothing happened, contrary to the common belief a guy can like a girl and not screw each other) in fact we were merely friends at best at the time. Just shared some interests like Wildlife and felines, since I collect cat figurines and he had a lot of cat and wildlife posters that clearly someone couldn’t bring to school, played on the computer some, nothing much, we were just friends and that was all, weren’t asking to be more; and more than once my Texan stood up behind me or for me in both class and out of it. Well he finished HS and transferred back to Texas to go to college (on a scholarship) since that was were he was from originally and where his family planned on moving back to once they were settled (their reasons for being in Mi too long a story). Thankfully, god thankfully, we kept in touch, since I am and was very interested in college and college classes, through emails almost entirely and when I got to be by myself at home every now and then over an instant messenger. He did just as well in college as he did High School and I kept up my grades too. At this point though things just kept getting worse and worse, my mother was now more dependent then ever (physically and psychologically) on the household and my dad and so she wasn’t leaving him as she had planned to before her incident. It also made things harder for them as she needed more medications and wasn’t all there like she used to be. It just started getting to me more and more and as anyone here can tell you High school changes people and all the friends I had growing up (few though they were) changed and left me, started dating boys, giving head, smoking, drinking, dressing more and more like sluts every day and I didn’t want any part of that. So I was more or less an outcast to the other kids in school, couldn’t talk to my parents except if I was looking to get yelled at and still kept up my grades. I was hurting though more and more ever since my Texan left; and looking back I know it was because of what he offered and helped with when he was around. I started getting pains in my stomach because I was parenting and refereeing my two parents half the time and the other half getting yelled at for it, no one at school wanted anything to do with someone who wasn’t wanting to conform to some social standard and there was no money for anything anymore at all. The one thing that kept me going was my one good friend, my friend that wouldn’t leave me, my friend that was there for me to be my friend through the thick and the thin; My Texan. He was there just to give moral and emotional support to his friend. So for over two years we were just friends, we even took time and wrote things together and have one book finished and three more on the way; the finished one is going through a publisher right now for revisions and what they want as far as the next books are concerned. About spring though last year or summer, I told him how much I loved him and how that had grown over the years from just friendship and how he said he felt the same, a connection, just a peace and joy with me and so many same interests. And for crying out loud don’t start on how come this 20 year old is interested in a 16 year old, remember that we’ve known each other for over three years, knew each other close as friends and close friends; and yes he can get other people and isn’t someone grabbing at me because I’m some easy score. Because he still had some friends up here and a place to stay he came up the summer of last year, without my folks knowing since I know what they would have said, and we went to the mall, the movies, even to one of the great lakes and had an amazing time together and not for one second was he anything but a complete and considerate gentleman. We after that even got a chance to talk now and then since he brought me up a phonecard so we could talk; since I had said I wished we could do that. Later last year for my birthday we decided to tell my sister since I didn’t want to keep someone so important to my life a secret. She flipped out, and he had even come up for my birthday and saw me to give me my present in person before I told her. She freaked out, broke every promise I had her make before I told her and even pulled out a kitchen knife on him when he came to visit since she demanded to see him in person. And through all of that he remained cool, collected and respectable to my sister and never once showed any sign of disrespect or anger, never once raised his voice or acted temperamental. My sister didn’t tell my folks though and used that secret that she was keeping to get me to do things for her out of fear of her telling them what had happened. Earlier this year I couldn’t take it anymore, not able to spend Christmas, thanksgiving, holidays or birthdays with the man I loved and who loved me back was getting to be too much and my household had only gotten worse, more drinking, more smoking, more whining and fighting; and just as a side note for my parents skills as caregivers since me and my mother had moved back in the bedrooms were right next to each other I got to hear them having sex and banging against the wall every other night since I’ve been about 12 (that’s really not healthy) and confronted them about it many times only to be told that that wasn’t what they were doing.

So I told them, and that’s when all the crap hit the fan, first I told my mom who almost for a moment took it alright before tearing into me and calling me all kinds of bad names, about a week after that she worked up the nerves to tell me dad who then kicked us both out. So now we live entirely on government money and a very very small child support payment from my dad, I am told continually and every day that I am, word for word “a horrible person” “selfish bitch” “evil and everything you’ve done is wrong” “This is all your fault you little whore” from MY MOTHER. When we left I didn’t get to take my computer so the one I use for School is one my Texan got for me and sent me all at his own expense so I could keep doing good in school and be able to use the net now and then.

So before everyone jumps on the “jump on my case” band-wagon I really would feel better if you at least knew the story. And as for myself and my Texan if you haven’t already figured it out is that I have been since the 4th grade an A student and he for as long as I have known him in High School and college been a straight A student, got accepted into college on a scholarship and has already been accepted into a doctorate program.

And you know what, I wish I could, god do I wish I could move in with him and live in Texas with him, but he knows that that is not a good idea and knows how important education is and getting an education so that you don’t ruin the rest of your life on some quick choice. Has he ever once tried to do anything but be like a gentleman with me, no, he hasn’t he touched me in any way but loving and so soft and caring hugs or holding my hand or just resting together side by side at the movies or sitting in the park, we didn’t even kiss until when he came up for my birthday and that was just a loving and sweet peck; and I know he’d never do anything inappropriate to me ever. He’s never once been mad at me, raised his view, made me feel bad or anything negative at all. And yes, I do know that he will always treat me like a princess because that is the kind of man he is, and how he feels about me, he hasn’t ever had to tell me that, just give me over three years of wonderful and sweet interactions and loving support. I am in no rush for anything and neither is he, because I know he is the man of my life, the man of my dreams and I feel that he feels the exact same way. There is nothing I do not trust him with and there is nothing he does not trust me with (as he has given me even without asking his SS number, bank account numbers, phones, addresses, anything and everything I could ever ask for because he knows there’s nothing I’d do to hurt him and I trust him with all the same of my own)

anomaly88

Prt3

The woman I live with might have given birth to me, yes, but she has never been my mother, hell the woman didn’t even breast feed me a day in my life because “I just didn’t want to be bothered with it is all”, if you read up or know anything about child and human development you know how important it is and how healthy and natural it is to be fed breast milk rather than some powder. She was never cool, never nice and made me make my own kool-aid and yelled at me any time I used “her sugar”.

No, I don’t want some court to grant me emancipation so I can shack up with him like I’ve said and no we haven’t had sex nor does he or I even think that a possibility till after we are married (and no that is not why I want to marry him)

If bad things have happened in your life, then take a number, no one is without their sob story and there are a LOT of people out there who have things worse than you and worse then me. My life’s been pretty rough and far from selfish. If you want to spend time with your mother than that is great for you, you must have had a relationship that was nice and worked and love between each other; if you were in my place you’d count your blessing to be away from that crap so don’t think that apples are oranges or black is white.

I actually took a lot of offence to being called selfish as nothing I have ever done has been selfish, I have gone out of my way to help those around me, given up my computer that I used to have all the time to my sister since she refuses to get one, taking care of my mom and her needs after her accident since my dad refused to do anything other than drink or yell. Took care of the animals that they had and kept because they “just didn’t have the time” (I guess going to the liquor store or to buy more cigarettes can really eat up a day), cooked, kept up my grades in school, NEVER asked for anything other than the minimum and never complained about all the yelling and shouting they did at me for things I never did. And no, we don’t talk. I’ve tried, boy HAVE I tried, but she won’t talk there is like I said 1) be listened to without question 2) yelling. I’m not even allowed to have opinions that aren’t there (don’t even ask about what it was like around election time).

I’ve already established and know that this won’t end as I know I won’t have a reason or want to leave him nor he a reason or want to leave me, so no matter what the distance I feel fine about that and trust it completely. My “mother” as I said was never there, never did anything for me, and as time has gone by only become more physically assaulting and verbally and emotionally attacking.

No he’s not an internet pervert and don’t even know why people assumed that was the case since I never said a thing that was towards that in my post.

The reason, the sole reason, I have such good grades and don’t have trouble is because I have worked so freaking hard at it every day, because I knew that that’d be the only way to ever have better then what is around me. I was even in the NHS until I had to quit because my mom wouldn’t let me go to their meetings anymore after I told her about my Texan, so that is how and why I have the grades and life that I do, my own hard work every single day.

And I have thought about what could happen, I’ve spent a lot of time making out schedules for work and school, making out budgets for all the places I could work as of late, figuring out how I can and will be able to balance the two and even looked up housing and places I could live (granted I need emancipation for that to work) that would be within my budget. I want to live on my own, finish high school and then finally when I am done with that and an “adult” go be with the person I want to be with. Now let’s think about what COULD happen if I stay where I am. I could continue to be yelled at every day for having feelings for someone, I could be called a bitch, a whore, an evil person and told that everything wrong with my mom is my fault. I could work and have her keep all my money since I’m “not of legal age”. And I could continue to go to bed every night feeling sick and on the verge of tears.

What I want to do is live on my own, support myself because I know I can do both, even if it means living an almost nothing life as far as amenities are concerned because I just don’t want to be in this kind of hostile environment any more, and have talked to other family members and while my mom would not transfer custody to begin with, almost none of them would even take me in as they “don’t want to go against her”. I’m not asking for anything special, I’m just asking for a chance to live my life and support myself and not have to live with the kind of crap I’ve had to live with for these past 16 years.

I’m sorry all of you were so judgmental without knowing a thing about me, and even more if you don’t believe me or what my Texan means to me then I am sorry that none of you have ever had the chance to know what a real gentleman is or can be.

Thanks again Stealth as you were really the only one to answer in some way the question I asked. If there is anyone else out there who can offer me up some useful advice rather than just opinion I would be very much appreciative of your time and help because I really want out.

(side note, about the wanting to get married. I wanted that because I know it would mean emancipation not because I want to move out of state and I know there is someone willing now and in the future to be my husband in soul and on paper and just wanted some option in emancipation wasn’t going to work and it would make things like medical bills too (even though I don’t need any, it’s nice to have that net). And if any of you are wondering why he hasn’t moved up here since he says he cares about me so much, I wouldn’t want him to because it would mean giving back part of his scholarship and that’s just stupid and even more than that my family has made threats against him if they ever see him in person and it would be far too dangerous for him to live in Mi or near me with them so close by. And you know one more thing about me being selfish, it really isn’t my job to be the guardian or parents of my parents, it should be the other way around and never has been.)

AHA

No one is going to make it through reading all of that, but good luck to you in the future.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">