• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

16 year old put in protective custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

swilson13

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ca

My 16 year old brother was put in juvenile hall on tuesday because he had a parol violation (he was arrested for trying to break into a car to get the change out of the center counsel, attempted burglary). They were going to release him, but my dad said he is out of control and he can't control him. He also has another case coming up at a different court for having a speed pipe. (This case was brought up, and he doesn't go to court until january). Anyways they took him into custody on tuesday and was going to come back to court 2 days later.

When he was in juvenile hall he had gotten jumped and beat up pretty bad. So they put him in protective custody and he came back to court 2 days later. They were going to give him house arrest, but my dad wasn't at the court and they wouldn't release him to our grandmother ( who was at court). By the way they live with my grandmother so addresses are the same, and my grandmother has gone down to the police station before and they released him to her. Anyways, they took him back in, putting him in protective custody and gave him another court date on dec. 22. Well this morning at breakfast he got jumped and beat up again. My dad went to visit him and said his temple is swollen and he is pretty messed up. (By the way, the first time he got beat up, he said there were guards standing there and watching, and didn't do anything. They didn't do anything until the supervisor had walked in and said something) FYI.

I don't understand how he got beat up again this morning while in protective custody. Is there anything I can do to get him out. When he gets out he is coming to live with me.

FYI: He is a white boy (if that matters) and its only been 4 days and has gotten beat up while in protective custody and while the guards were watching...

Any suggestions that I can do or someone I can call to get him out? We can't afford a lawyer and the public defender was being a real jerk.

thanks in advance

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
FYI: He is a white boy (if that matters) and its only been 4 days and has gotten beat up while in protective custody and while the guards were watching...
No it doesn't matter except maybe to you. What do you think -- he shouldn't get beat up if he is white but if he is Hispanic or African American it is okay? Race doesn't matter. How do you know the guards were watching? How old are you?

Any suggestions that I can do or someone I can call to get him out? We can't afford a lawyer and the public defender was being a real jerk.

thanks in advance
Oh well. Your brother can represent himself if he can't afford an attorney and he thinks the public defender was being a real jerk. Could be the PD was just giving your brother a reality check. After all your brother wasn't smart enough to learn the first time he committed a crime and now believes (or has family believing) that his white self doesn't belong in juvenile hall regardless of the crimes he committed -- basically because he was white. What attitude did your brother come across with? Or better yet, what was your attitude or the attitude of others in your family when dealing with the PD? Maybe the PD was not the one being a real jerk. Maybe the PD was dealing with facts and reality and your poor criminal white brother couldn't deal with it and neither could you.

swilson13

Your right! I really don't know the true facts. Im going on what my family members have said. They have gone to his court and went to visit him today.

About the white boy comment, I wasn't paying attention. All I have been hearing is that he's going to get jumped and beat up because he's white. "You better get him outta there". ect.. ect blah blah. Some people have been constantly saying this, like it was implanted in my head. I apologize for the comment and if it offended anyone.

I was just so frustrated. He was suppose to be in protective custody, and he gets jumped again. I just got caught up in the moment.

Sorry for my immature and rude behavior. On that note**************......I have a couple of questions, if anyone can answer them that would be great.

While in juvenile hall?

1. Are the kids suppose to have some sort of school or classroom everyday?

2. Is protective custody the same as isolation or "SHU" (tiny cell for kids getting into trouble)?

I ask this because I read on their website a daily schedule for the kids. From what I HEARD, my brother has not been given any school work. I figured the kids could at least make up some credits while in there.
I will find out the facts tomorrow, so don't quote me on this.

But, if anyone could give me some advice or give me some ideas to help me prepare for tomorrow, (I go visit him), that would be great. If not, no big deal, I will just remember to get the facts myself before I post.:confused:;)

My apologies

thanks

outonbail

While in juvenile hall?

You mean like with a chalk board and a teacher in front of the class. With art class on Tuesdays and Gym on Fridays and recess every day?
No, this is not reform school. This is jail for the underage criminal. They do not hand out class schedules when someone is incarcerated there and they do not have a staff of teachers who try to teach a bunch of delinquents who refused to go to school when they weren't locked up.

2. Is protective custody the same as isolation or "SHU" (tiny cell for kids getting into trouble)?
He would be placed somewhere that he is isolated from the problem he is having. Like they separate gang members from feuding gangs. However, if your brother has a big mouth and tries being the tough guy wherever they place him, he is going to have problems.

I ask this because I read on their website a daily schedule for the kids. From what I HEARD, my brother has not been given any school work. I figured the kids could at least make up some credits while in there.
I will find out the facts tomorrow, so don't quote me on this.
There may be study material provided that would help someone achieve a High School GED. But this is probably only offered to someone who has been sentenced and will be there for a considerable amount of time.

But, if anyone could give me some advice or give me some ideas to help me prepare for tomorrow, (I go visit him), that would be great. If not, no big deal, I will just remember to get the facts myself before I post.:confused:;)
I just suggest that when your brother is released, that you and everyone else pay as much attention to what he is doing then, as everyone seems to be now that he's locked up.

CdwJava

While in juvenile hall?
A county run custodial facility for juveniles and young adults held as wards fo the court being held pending court trial or sentenced in to custody pursuant to a "true finding" or "true bill" (depending on the term used your way).

EVERY day? No. They ARE required to be provided an opportunity for an education, however. But, they will not hold him down and force him to absorb knowledge.

That depends on how the term is being used. Juvenile halls do not generall have a "SHU" (Secure Housing Unit). If in reference to his custodial situation, it may simply mean that he will be afforded added protections such as having use of the day room (common room) when other wards (aka inmates) are not out.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">