• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

16 year old shoplifting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

IDEA2004

What is the name of your state? california
My daughter went to the mall with 3 other teenagers. The visit was to return a shirt at a store. the shirt was exchanged for a new shirt and the 4 teenagers proceeded to visit another store. Upon entering the new store the teenager who had the bag with the exchanged shirt asked my daughter to hold it for him. She did. the four teens were in the Junior dept looking at clothes. My daughter found a shirt she liked and draped it over her arm. She continued walking around the dept. looking at mechandise. One teen friend whom she was with called her over to look at dresses. She dropped the bag and the shirt she was holding on the floor infront of the two boy teens who decided to sit and wait till the girls were done looking. Five minutes passed ( approx. time according to my daughter) and one of the boys called out to the girls " come on it's time to go". My daughter came back picked up the bag and the four proceeded to exit the store. About 10 feet outside of the store a store security gaurd asked the other girl teen to open her bag, then turned to my daughter and asked her to open hers. the two boys who were with them started laughing, pointing fingers at the girls and ran away. (this is what the store manager told my husband). the other girl did shoplift apparently about $75.00 of merchandise. My daughter when she opened the bag had a shocked look on her face I guess ( I was not there) for the shirt that the boy had exchanged was no longer in the bag. There was only the shirt that she had draped over her arm and the tag was cut off. The security officers brought the two girls into two seperate rooms and had them write down what happened. Our home was called and the store manager informed my husband to come down and pick her up. the sherriff was called as well. She was written a ticket. She has a date to appear in court. the sherrif had my daughters purse, cell phone and wallet and told her that she would give the items to her father. The purse and the cell phone were returned however, the wallet was never returned and the store said that they do not have it.
I am sad, shocked and disappointed. I do not want such a black mark on my daughters record. I feel confused and believe that this is an issue of friendship or lack of. My question is what are we looking forward to? Upon reflection and looking at the limited facts I do have I believe that the boys did something to the bag. What kind of preparation do we need to do? Letters of character for my daughter. In the big picture she was a good kid hanging out with not so go people for the sake of a ride to the mall.

CdwJava

She can expect to pay restitution to the store through a civil demand that you will likely receive soon (often between $250 and $350), she will likely be put on probation for two to three years, and will have to perform some form of community service. If she has no priors, the chance of juvenile hall is slim.

She also needs to select better friends. And be very wary of any tale that she weaves of her complete and total innocence ... experience has told us that even those that get caught "holding the bag" had some knowledge of what was going on.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">