• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

16 year old & terroristic threats for a disabled emotional child?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

carolinamama

Pennsylvania
My son is 16 years old . He is receiving SSI as a disabled child due to his mental , emotional state. He is ADHD, depression and with some learning disabilities.
He is a good boy really , quiet , shy . When he is upset he writes stories to deal with his feelings.
Anyways .There were 2 girls at school picking on him and finally on Monday he responded to them .The one girl punched him in the eye, he grabbed her arm , and scratched her deep. All 3 kids were given OSS for 5 days. The police questioned the school & students .

Now on Wednesday the police show up at my house to search it & my car for weapons.
They take my son into custody to ask him questions.There were no weapons found in our possession.
Yet they said they needed to hold him overnight due to his emotional state and the fear that he would hurt himself or other people.
tHEY HAVE 4 charges of Terroristic threats on him , yet he did not mean what they said -that he said. He said it ,yes ,but his understanding is not same. He says things without thinking - as he is very emotional .

I feel they are trying to lock him up & frame him , just to keep him out of school.
He is an emotional child and takes vars meds for his condition.
Stratterra , Lexapro and Wellbutrin

what can I do?
I think maybe his court appointed attorney will not fight for him .Friday there was a detention hearing and he is still detained
He is currently being held at a juvenile detention center .
Friday the detectives came back with another search warrant for his bookbag , looking for a book that he writes in when he is depressed.
When he is depressed he writes stories and poems .
I dont believe that them having that book would in anyway benefit my son either .
Am I correct?
What recourses do I have for my son?
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PennylvaniaWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

BL

I know he's your son and you want to protect him , but if he made verbal terroristic threats it's going to be taken seriously , especially at a school .

They are looking for writing of threats and so on , and yes, if those writings contain thoughts of homicide or harm , they will also be taken seriously .

I'm sure he'll be properly evaluated ordered by the court .

He needs a good lawyer .

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Pennsylvania
My son is 16 years old . He is receiving SSI as a disabled child due to his mental , emotional state. He is ADHD, depression and with some learning disabilities.
He is a good boy really , quiet , shy . When he is upset he writes stories to deal with his feelings.
Anyways .There were 2 girls at school picking on him and finally on Monday he responded to them .The one girl punched him in the eye, he grabbed her arm , and scratched her deep. All 3 kids were given OSS for 5 days. The police questioned the school & students .

Now on Wednesday the police show up at my house to search it & my car for weapons.
They take my son into custody to ask him questions.There were no weapons found in our possession.
Yet they said they needed to hold him overnight due to his emotional state and the fear that he would hurt himself or other people.
tHEY HAVE 4 charges of Terroristic threats on him , yet he did not mean what they said -that he said. He said it ,yes ,but his understanding is not same. He says things without thinking - as he is very emotional .

I feel they are trying to lock him up & frame him , just to keep him out of school.
He is an emotional child and takes vars meds for his condition.
Stratterra , Lexapro and Wellbutrin

what can I do?
I think maybe his court appointed attorney will not fight for him .Friday there was a detention hearing and he is still detained
He is currently being held at a juvenile detention center .
Friday the detectives came back with another search warrant for his bookbag , looking for a book that he writes in when he is depressed.
When he is depressed he writes stories and poems .
I dont believe that them having that book would in anyway benefit my son either .
Am I correct?
What recourses do I have for my son?
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PennylvaniaWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Did you give the police the book?

carolinamama

His writings arent about hurting other people.
He writes about his pain and his feelings
and how he is hurt
and that he wants it all to end

and he had stated to his friends
that if he had a gun
he would shoot everyone that has hurt him
and then kill himself

Keep in mind he is not mentally 16 years old either
he is behind in development I would say
and lives kind of in his own imaginary world at times

Like I said , I know he would not ever do anything
he probably still doesnt even understand that what he would say to friends would hurt him in a legal way

To what extent would the punish him ?
I would have no complaint to have him go to a special school , or even have him schooled at home .
I would have no problem with community service
or probation.
Or fines even.
Getting him more help or counseling would be acceptable.
But I dont want him taken away from his family
I would think that would hurt him more then he could stand .
Do you know what I mean?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">