• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

16-year old wants to move out

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rebbeca24ann

I'm 16 now I will be 17 in May I was wondering if I could move out when I turn 17 I can live with my boyfriend but I don't wan to be called a runaway and I don't mind talking to cops I just don't want to live with my mom and her husband anymore no abuse or anything just getting yelled at all the time for stupid reasons but will someone please explane to me how this all works like can I leave with out telling my mom where I am going and not be forced to go back home or what thank you so much in advance of your help

Silverplum

I'm 16 now I will be 17 in May I was wondering if I could move out when I turn 17 I can live with my boyfriend but I don't wan to be called a runaway and I don't mind talking to cops I just don't want to live with my mom and her husband anymore no abuse or anything just getting yelled at all the time for stupid reasons but will someone please explane to me how this all works like can I leave with out telling my mom where I am going and not be forced to go back home or what thank you so much in advance of your help
There's no US state in which your ideas are legal. Or smart.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
That can't be true! A 16 year old who feels that his/her parents yell at him/her for stupid reasons?!?

I do believe that you're the first 16 year old in the entire history of human-kind who has run in to this. You should write a book.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
All this works by waiting untilyou are considered an adult in your state.

Just how old is your b/f?

CdwJava

I'm 16 now I will be 17 in May
That makes you a minor. This means that you are a dependent juvenile for nearly two more years and have to live where your parents permit you to live.

I was wondering if I could move out when I turn 17 I can live with my boyfriend
Only if mom and dad unwisely let you. And, depending on the state you are in, it could be a crime.

but I don't wan to be called a runaway and I don't mind talking to cops I just don't want to live with my mom and her husband anymore
If they call and report you as a runaway, yeah, you will be a runaway, you will be talking to the cops, and you can be dragged home kicking and screaming.

no abuse or anything just getting yelled at all the time for stupid reasons
Wait ... are you one of my four kids!? Hmmm ... this sounds like almost every teenager in the history of mankind?!

but will someone please explane to me how this all works like can I leave with out telling my mom where I am going and not be forced to go back home or what thank you so much in advance of your help
Certainly! When you turn 18 you can walk out the door with whatever your parents allow you to take with you.

NellieBly

My ex was a Youth Bureau detective who spent his last days on the force hunting down 16 year old girls who went to live with their boyfriends. He was pretty good at it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">