• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

16 yr old...confused

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xgoldenxgirlx

I live in CT and am turning 16 in about 10 days. I have a lot of problems with my parents. Last summer I was so mad at my parents because they wouldn't let me talk on the phone, go out with friends, go on the internet, etc. that I ran away and ended up making a mistake by "doing stuff" with a man ove rthe age of 18. We did not engage in sex or oral sex. Anyways ,my parents found out and now won't let me do anything. I have all A's and B's and I try really hard in school. I just want to be independent and I know how hard it is to take over your own life but I really want to do it. In order to get emancipated you must show responsiblity, will what I did last summer stop a judge from letting me become stable on my own. I cry because I'm so sad at home, I don't know what to do.
...thanks for replying but i forgot to add some stuff first of all ive never in my life have had sex so please dont pull that one on me. second of all although i know my parents r trying their best to parent me they are making me feel very bad about myself saying things like im a slut when the only thing in my life ive done with a guy was with that one person!

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

I live in CT and am turning 16 in about 10 days. I have a lot of problems with my parents. Last summer I was so mad at my parents because they wouldn't let me talk on the phone, go out with friends, go on the internet, etc. that I ran away and ended up making a mistake by "doing stuff" with a man ove rthe age of 18. We did not engage in sex or oral sex. Anyways ,my parents found out and now won't let me do anything. I have all A's and B's and I try really hard in school. I just want to be independent and I know how hard it is to take over your own life but I really want to do it. In order to get emancipated you must show responsiblity, will what I did last summer stop a judge from letting me become stable on my own. I cry because I'm so sad at home, I don't know what to do.
You come to an internet forum after 'doing things' with an adult and you expect a responsible party to give you a roadmap on destroying your life?

Grow up little girl. You have two years to learn that you are damn lucky to have parents who care enough to keep you safe. And DAMN LUCKY the ONLY thing crying in your life is you and not a baby.

lealea1005

"Responsibility" means....living on your own, paying rent, working a full time job, etc, without any help from mom and dad.

Your parents were probalby freaked out that you would make such an impulsive, irresponsible and...well.....stupid decision like running away and "doing stuff" with an adult.

Regaining their trust will take time and may be frustrating. Your A's & B's are a great start. Find other ways to show them you can be responsible (get a job, run errands, housework, tutor a younger student). Have a family meeting and ask them what you may be able to do to regain some priviledges.
Remember their priority is keeping you safe. BB is right, you're lucky to have parents who care enough to do so.

Good luck and have a Happy Birthday!

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
will what I did last summer stop a judge from letting me become stable on my own.

You better believe it will. That is NOT going to impress a judge into believing that you are mature enough to live on your own.

And nowhere in here have you indicated how you plan to support yourself entirely while continuing to go to school and keep those A's and B's, which I assure you is a very important part of being emancipated. Unless you are able to pay for rent, food, clothing, utilities, transportation, medical care, school fees, and everything else, while still going to school and keeping your grades up, emancipation is not going to be an option.

Emancipation is a very rare thing. Very few teens are able to convince a judge that they can do a better job of raising themselves than their parents can.

Last edited:

AHA

...thanks for replying but i forgot to add some stuff first of all ive never in my life have had sex so please dont pull that one on me. second of all although i know my parents r trying their best to parent me they are making me feel very bad about myself saying things like im a slut when the only thing in my life ive done with a guy was with that one person!

Maybe it's because mom and dad have the rules they have, that has lead to you being a straight A/B student! Think about it.
How well do you think you'd do in school if you had to have a full time job and the responsibility of paying ALL bills ON YOUR OWN?

"Doing stuff" with an adult man is proof that you are not mature enough to be on your own.

tigger22472

I'm trying to figure out how they don't allow her to get on the internet or do anything how she was able to come here.... going behind their back maybe?? Now there's a responsible kid!

rxis

It is impossible to determine your situation from your post; however, you obviously do not have enough emotional maturity and life experiences yet. That wasn't an insult. What you are going through are what most kids at your age go through. Your parents may very well be too strict; whatever that means, but try not to roll your eyes when we tell you that it could be worse.

Perhaps you can think of it as an initiation into adulthood.
Want more freedom? Want to prove that you are an adult? Show the world what you are by proving it to yourself. Grow yourself intellectually and physically while keeping emotions in check.

Go find out what the world is like outside of your little box. (again no insult, we all have a little box)
Venture into new worlds even if it means leaving your comfort zone.
For example: Take up hobbies, explore various careers, or just take your studies to another level than what you are learning at school(this may increase internet time allowed) What you are learning now is just the tip of the iceberg of the many things concerning every single topic in school.
Volunteering is a good way to get started.

Remember, you don't know anything until you actually experience it.

Edit:
Also try to talk to your parents honestly. After establishing a relationship, take your conversations up a notch. Parents can freak when they don't know know whats going on with their kids.
Even if they don't understand or agree with you, I bet they will begin to trust you more to make more decisions for what you think is good for yourself.
btw, you have to be honest with yourself in order to be honest with your parents.

Last edited:

aleeshkapeesh

Golden Girl...

Hey Golden Girl,

Just reading a few threads and thought I'd drop you a line. Unlike all the other people that have posted on this thread I'm actaully your age and know what it is your going through.

I'm not going to judge you I just want to give you a few words of advice.

For one, being emancipated is a very hard thing to . ( I'm sure you've heard.) You have to pay rent, utility bills, phone bills, food etc. Its not cheap. It'll be hard to get a decent job at your age, that will actually be able to cover just the basic expenses every month. Plus I'm sure you want a little extra dough every month anyways so you can go shopping...that kinda stuff us "kids" take advantage of while living at home.

I look at it this way, things may be tuff at home but its basically like a free meal, rent...expendectures ticket until you turn eighteen. Who wouldn't want that? But thats just me.

What is bothering you so much at home? Not enough freedom? Talk to your parents about it like an adult. Work something out with them if they are willing. Things probably aren't that bad...and IF they are they will get better. The simple stresses of a teen are much less than alot others girl. :)

And whose ever saying your a slut because you fooled around with an 18 year old...tell them to bite off. Its not like u were having sex with him...and hes only 2 years older than you anyways. Its not that big of a deal. They are just freaking like parents do, because they want the best for you.

Keep your head up. Its not that bad hun. :p

:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">