• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

16 yr old daughter wants to be emancipated

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anita

What is the name of your state? Florida

My 16 yr old daughter has become rebellious and does not want to obey the rules of the home like who her friends are, permission to stay over night not knowing with who, just a note left " I will be back tomorrow", etc. She wants to be emancipated, what does FL require? Am at wits end in dealing with her...Can the individuals who allow her to stay in their home without my permission be guilty of contributing to delinquency of minor? When she stays away like this, what is my legal responsibility to the law, Child Protective Services? If I call the police and say she is a runaway, what will happen to her, me and the people who let her stay with them?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
anita said:

My 16 yr old daughter has become rebellious and does not want to obey the rules of the home like who her friends are, permission to stay over night not knowing with who, just a note left " I will be back tomorrow", etc. She wants to be emancipated, what does FL require? Am at wits end in dealing with her...Can the individuals who allow her to stay in their home without my permission be guilty of contributing to delinquency of minor? When she stays away like this, what is my legal responsibility to the law, Child Protective Services? If I call the police and say she is a runaway, what will happen to her, me and the people who let her stay with them?
In order to be emancipated your daughter needs to be self supporting -- have a child, a place to live that SHE can afford and not be relying on others. Call the police and report her as a runaway. Anyone who allows her to stay without your permission can be in trouble. You are legally responsible for anything your daughter does until she turns 18. So if she kills someone in a car, you can be sued for financial compensation.

pty

Ohiogal said:
In order to be emancipated your daughter needs to be self supporting -- have a child, a place to live that SHE can afford and not be relying on others. Call the police and report her as a runaway. Anyone who allows her to stay without your permission can be in trouble. You are legally responsible for anything your daughter does until she turns 18. So if she kills someone in a car, you can be sued for financial compensation.
I'm sure you meant "have a job" ;)

olddude

Oh, I feel your pain

I am in pretty much the same boat only I have a 16 year old son. He's been a problem child for awhile now but he went over the top when he met his latest girlfriend who is now 18. He won't stay at home and for the past 5 months he's been on the runaway list 95% of the time. He stays at this girls house and the cops have gone there several times and picked him up there and bought him home but he's gone again within a couple days. I tried to see if I could bring charges against both her and her mother but the cops say no, or at least they don't seem to interested in getting involved. I asked about a 16 year old having sex with an 18 year old but they said I would have to have proof they were having sex. I have cought them in bed with no close on but they say that wouldn't hold up in court. I have gone over there several times to pick him up and he had been drinking but according to the police that was not enough to have her mother brought up on charges of contributing, they say that it would have to be a police officer that catches him there while intoxicated.

I don't mean to try and steal your thread it's just that I wanted you to know there are others out there that have the same problem as you and I'll be praying for you. It's really sad that these kids learn that they can pretty much do what they want because they figure out really quick that the juvenile system is a joke and nothing will happen to them. I wish I had answers for you but I don't. The only thing I can say to you is keep your head up and don't give up. This has been the hardest thing I ever had to do but I refuse to give up on him and just let him go.

Frist and formost you have to protect yourself. My biggest mistake was trying to protect him from himself and keep him from getting into trouble by not reporting him to the police. I could have went to jail if he had crashed my car and killed someone one of the many times he would sneak out and take our car without permission. I didn't want to see a felony on his record but now it's gotten to the point it looks like that may be the only thing that will save him.

I don't know about FL. but you can't depend on the cops to help you if they are like they are here in VA.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In Florida she CANNOT be emancipated without YOUR consent. In fact, YOU have to file the petition. If you do not, then no amount of effort on her part will result in emancipation.

This is completely within your control.

She is a minor; if you tell her to come home and she doesn't come home, the people she is staying with can be in a world of legal hurt.

olddude

My bad**************

I hate it when that happens. :eek: I didn't look at the date, it was just a thread that was close to my situation and I guess I jumped the gun so to speak.;) Oh well, hopefully everything worked out for Anita and her daughter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">