• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

16 yr old not in school, parents refuse to help.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lindsay.d

California

For the past three months my brother's runaway friend has been living with us. He was not enrolled in school when he came to live with us and his parents are completely aware of where he is at. They said that if he did come back he would be sent to live with his mother, whom he was taken away from at a young age by CPS. We've been trying to get him enrolled in school, but in order for us to do that we need his immunization records and a highschool transcript. When we went to his old highschool they told us that he had two textbooks out and couldn't get his transcript until they are returned. I asked his father to give us his books, immunization records, medical card, birth certificate, and his social security card; he'll need those to get ahead in life. His father said that he wasn't going to give us those papers and that the only way that his son could get them is if he lived with him or his mother. We're at a loss of what to do, is there a way for us to get those papers from him without having the boy being taken away and placed in foster care? The new school semester is starting in January, so we want to have those done this month. Help please!

Last edited:

Silverplum

California

For the past three months my brother's runaway friend has been living with us. He was not enrolled in school when he came to live with us and his parents are completely aware of where he is at. They said that if he did come back he would be sent to live with his mother, whom he was taken away from at a young age by CPS. We've been trying to get him enrolled in school, but in order for us to do that we need his immunization records and a highschool transcript. When we went to his old highschool they told us that he had two textbooks out and couldn't get his transcript until they are returned. I asked his father to give us his books, immunization records, medical card, birth certificate, and his social security card; he'll need those to get ahead in life. His father said that he wasn't going to give us those papers and that the only way that his son could get them is if he lived with him or his mother. We're at a loss of what to do, is there a way for us to get those papers from him without having the boy being taken away and placed in foster care? The new school semester is starting in January, so we want to have those done this month. Help please!
How old is the kid?
How old are you? I ask because you are asking on behalf of your brother's friend who lives with "us." Who is "us?" Who is "we" that are trying to get him in school? This will make a small difference, depending upon your answer.

CdwJava

Lindsay.d said:
For the past three months my brother's runaway friend has been living with us.
Then your parents or any adults in the house could be charged with one or more criminal acts.

He was not enrolled in school when he came to live with us and his parents are completely aware of where he is at.
Then why has he been reported as a runaway?? If the parents know where he is, and he remains there with their permission or acquiescence, then he is not a runaway.

Do you know for a fact he has been reported as a runaway?

They said that if he did come back he would be sent to live with his mother, whom he was taken away from at a young age by CPS.
Perfectly lawful unless there is some court order preventing it.

We've been trying to get him enrolled in school, but in order for us to do that we need his immunization records and a highschool transcript. When we went to his old highschool they told us that he had two textbooks out and couldn't get his transcript until they are returned. I asked his father to give us his books, immunization records, medical card, birth certificate, and his social security card; he'll need those to get ahead in life. His father said that he wasn't going to give us those papers and that the only way that his son could get them is if he lived with him or his mother.
You do realize that dad could get all of you (or the adults) tossed in jail, don't you? If he is allowing his child to remain, then he could be charged with allowing his child to remain truant from school.

We're at a loss of what to do, is there a way for us to get those papers from him without having the boy being taken away and placed in foster care?
Uh ... no. Legally he is not your responsibility - or your parents ... still not sure who you are in relation to this "runaway" or the adults harboring him.

IF he is a runaway and you are allowing him to remain away from his parents, then you or the adults in your home could be arrested. If his parents have not reported him as a runaway and this is all a big powerplay, then the parents could go to jail for truancy and even child abandonment.

No matter the end result, CPS will have to get involved. When they do, a parent who can legally possess the child will be able to take the child - not you or your parents.

My recommendation is to call CPS or the police NOW before anyone goes to jail!

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">