• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

16 yr old runaway... At my house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gum_Drop

What is the name of your state? LA

Our babysitter (16) ran away from home. 2 days later she showed up at my doorstep.

She was hungry and tired. I feed her, listened to why she ran away, and made her a "bed" on our couch.

Knowing her mother was worried, After she had fallen asleep I called her mother to let her know she was here, and aside from being tired and hungry outward apperences she is fine, and informed her that she was sleeping on my couch.

I told her that she could either come and get her daughter, or she let her stay the night and come for her in the morning. The mother than said "well if she is at your place I know she is OK, I will come for her in the morning"

She never came, and I dont feel good about making her GO HOME. With the reason she left in the first place.

Since I called the mother to let her know she was here, and have called everyday since then. Only to get her answering machine, to which I have left messages. Can I be charged with harboring a run away? She has been her 4 nights.

CdwJava

If it is a crime in LA to harobor a runaway, yes.

I would recommend calling CPS (or your state/parish equivalent) and reporting the incident to them in order to protect yourself. If she ran away for cause (abuse, etc.) then it needs to be reported to the authorities. If mom decides to get you in trouble, she probably can. This may be the only way to keep you in the clear.

Then there are the other problems - you are not her legal guardian. What about school? What if she needs medical attention? You have no legal right to be involved in these things unless mom signs those rights over to you in some manner approved in your state.

Call CPS.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">