• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

16yr old - forgery - runaway

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rjh5586

What is the name of your state? Florida

My 16yr old Brother ran away sunday night...he stole my mothers car, her credit cards and so forth...he left with his 14yr old girlfriend. He used the cards 2x before they were cancelled...They found him in Hollywood CA trying to cash a 550.00 check that he had written to himself from my mothers checkbook. They arrested him on forgery charges and he's in juvenile detention. He does not have any priors and the parents are not pressing charges for the car and the stolen credit cards. My parents were told that they had to press charges against him for the forgery or they could just let him go...

1. Did my parents really have to press charges to keep him there?
2. What are the chances that the judge will let him go as he has no priors?
3. If they convict him what kind of sentencing would they give him?What is the name of your state?

CdwJava

rjh5586 said:
1. Did my parents really have to press charges to keep him there?
If they did not express a desire to pursue criminal charges, the DA would likely drop the matter and let the parents suck it up. It would also have the effective result of telling their son that he can get away with anything and would open the door to his criminal career.

That is the kind of enabling attitude that CREATES a career criminal.

Since he was caught in CA, and the case rests solely on the fact that mom and dad are the victims - and they live in another state - the DA obviously wants to make sure he IS doing this without their approval. Unless they express an interest in pursuing the matter they will likely just release him here and they can fly out and get him.

2. What are the chances that the judge will let him go as he has no priors?
For multiple felonies? Not likely. He might be released to his parents on probation after serving some time.

3. If they convict him what kind of sentencing would they give him?
It depends on what specific charges he is convicted of. In theory he could get juvenile prison (called CYA out here). In reality he'd likely get juvie time, probation, and restitution.

- Carl

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
And what about the girl? I've no doubt that he's facing some sort of legal actions in that regard.

CdwJava

stealth2 said:
Presumably she went to CA with him. Although he doesn't state that.
Ah - I did not even add her into the equation. No real additional CA crime unless they admit to having sexual relations, but possible crimes at home. Unless she was a direct participant in the fraud, I doubt she faces any charges here.

- Carl

rjh5586

In regards to his girlfriend...they are holding her as well, an accomplice to forgery or something like that. He's not facing any legal action regarding her, her parents arn't pressing charges. If he does get juvie time will they let him serve it in MT, (closer to parents) or will he have to stay in CA? As far as "the story" goes...well its long and complicated. Thanks for all the help.

CdwJava

rjh5586 said:
In regards to his girlfriend...they are holding her as well, an accomplice to forgery or something like that.
Bad news for her ... that's a felony or three, depending on the actions of the involved parties.

He's not facing any legal action regarding her, her parents arn't pressing charges.
That's ultimately not the parents' call. But, if the parents aren't pushing it, the chances of the police in your state pushing it diminish.

If he does get juvie time will they let him serve it in MT, (closer to parents) or will he have to stay in CA?
If a "true finding" (the juvenile version of "guilty) is found on him in CA then he will have to do his time in CA. They might opt to simply babysit him for a while at juvie, give him informal probation provided he makes restitution, and release him to mom and dad to take him home.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">