• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

16yr old in foster care dating 24yr old

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

v.carl

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts.

Ok. I've researched MA law to the moon and back and everything states 16 is the age of consent. I've been dating this young lady for awhile and for the most part the only time I ever am with her is in the presence of her foster mother at their house. Both foster and birth mothers know me and consent to the relationship. DSS has recently found out and is now threatening the foster mother with child abuse and is trying to stir up trouble. Granted she is young but she really is more emotionally mature than most females I know at my age... I'm sure that's said a lot but it's true. I've had enough relationship experience to know whats real and whats not and I know she's as serious about me as I am her. We wish to marry soon... I'm re-enlisting in the Army and have a life plan for us. I'm not just an immature chump flying on a cloud of blind love. But at any rate my life story doesn't matter. As far as I'm concerned the state of Massachusetts age of consent is 16, she can be with who she wants.

What I really want to know is where DSS gets off threatening child abuse and action against me when nothing wrong or illegal is taking place AND there is parental permission and supervision.

(I've researched MA child abuse law also and DSS's own definition and could find nothing that would even come remotely close to validating their claims of abuse.)

Does DSS have their own set of laws they try to enforce unto others? I am really displeased with the agency and its practices.. they harass her foster mother by phone and have the audacity to raise their voice to her... I find it quite ridiculous.

Her mother was going to allow us to marry after I finished training... she was also invited by me to live with us.. (her health is deteriorating and she really wont be around much longer) so it's not like we're just trying to run away and go nuts... but it seems we may be forced to speed up the plans?

So anyone? DSS are they right or are they wrong.

CourtClerk

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts.

Ok. I've researched MA law to the moon and back and everything states 16 is the age of consent. I've been dating this young lady for awhile and for the most part the only time I ever am with her is in the presence of her foster mother at their house. Both foster and birth mothers know me and consent to the relationship. DSS has recently found out and is now threatening the foster mother with child abuse and is trying to stir up trouble. Granted she is young but she really is more emotionally mature than most females I know at my age... I'm sure that's said a lot but it's true. I've had enough relationship experience to know whats real and whats not and I know she's as serious about me as I am her. We wish to marry soon... I'm re-enlisting in the Army and have a life plan for us. I'm not just an immature chump flying on a cloud of blind love. But at any rate my life story doesn't matter. As far as I'm concerned the state of Massachusetts age of consent is 16, she can be with who she wants.
Do me a favor. Go to your commanding officer and tell them that you are messing with a child. A baby of a mere 16 years old. Come back and tell me what he says.

What I really want to know is where DSS gets off threatening child abuse and action against me when nothing wrong or illegal is taking place AND there is parental permission and supervision.
If she's in foster care, DSS IS her parent, and they are clearly not giving consent. She is a ward of the state.

Does DSS have their own set of laws they try to enforce unto others? I am really displeased with the agency and its practices.. they harass her foster mother by phone and have the audacity to raise their voice to her... I find it quite ridiculous.
As they should. Further, she should remove this child from the foster mother's care. Immediately.
Her mother was going to allow us to marry after I finished training... she was also invited by me to live with us.. (her health is deteriorating and she really wont be around much longer) so it's not like we're just trying to run away and go nuts... but it seems we may be forced to speed up the plans?
Again, if this child is in foster care, then her mother has no say as to what happens to her. If her mother wanted to be her mother, then she would have done something other than get her child into the care of the state.

So anyone? DSS are they right or are they wrong.
They are absolutely right.

Shay-Pari'e

can't wait for his command to be notified,**************....and they will be. I'll leave the rest as a surprise for him.

v.carl

Ok judging by your responses it seems to me you're speaking on your own personal beliefs and not the actual LAW. As I've said.. I've searched into my state's law extensively and could find nothing saying our situation is illegal in any way. Keep your personal moral standards to yourselves please, I seek only what is on the books.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm not just an immature chump flying on a cloud of blind love.
The LAST thing that came to mind was any phrase with the word "love" in it :rolleyes:

I seriously hope that you get what you deserve (jail, along with all the associated perks that a child molester gets) and that this child gets what she deserves (ie: a stable, safe living environment)

Just Blue

Ok judging by your responses it seems to me you're speaking on your own personal beliefs and not the actual LAW. As I've said.. I've searched into my state's law extensively and could find nothing saying our situation is illegal in any way. Keep your personal moral standards to yourselves please, I seek only what is on the books.
Listen. This is a custodial situation. DSS is this CHILD'S custodian. They are telling you and the foster parents that they are not okay with a flipping 24 year old ADULT dating a 16 year old CHILD that is in their legal control. The foster mother will lose this girl to another home. YOU will have a restraining order placed on you and your CO will be notified of your ILLEGAL pursuit of this under-aged child.

Custodial interference
Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor

Give up the little girl and date a WOMAN your own age. Freak.

CourtClerk

You're absolutely right. I have no idea whatsoever what I'm talking about. *snicker* Good luck. For your sake, you better hope I'm wrong. However, I'll bet you your next paycheck, I know more about DSS, how they work , their relationship with the court and their contracts with foster parents than you do.

v.carl

Actually I understand and agree with your take on DSS and their custody. What I don't agree with is you people claiming I'm a rapist or sicko when for one I haven't even done anything sexual with her and two even if I did the law in MY STATE says 16 is the age of consent.

What bothers me about DSS and her situation is they are trying to kick her out of the system and give her back to her birth mother... who can't even provide appropriate housing and is a current crack and pot user... why do they care so much about someone they don't care about in the first place and when our actions are clearly within the limits of the law in this state.

I've read that DSS has the power to grant permission to marry in place of her birth mother who has no custody currently. Is this true if you're so informed about DSS?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Actually I understand and agree with your take on DSS and their custody. What I don't agree with is you people claiming I'm a rapist or sicko when for one I haven't even done anything sexual with her and two even if I did the law in MY STATE says 16 is the age of consent.

What bothers me about DSS and her situation is they are trying to kick her out of the system and give her back to her birth mother... who can't even provide appropriate housing and is a current crack and pot user... why do they care so much about someone they don't care about in the first place and when our actions are clearly within the limits of the law in this state.

I've read that DSS has the power to grant permission to marry in place of her birth mother who has no custody currently. Is this true if you're so informed about DSS?
Incredible!
You are a sick, sick man. You are NOT going to marry this child. You are NOT going to get our permission to continue perving on this CHILD.
Usually, I'd say "date someone your own age", but you sound too far gone for that. Please consider castration.

Massachusetts Marriage Laws: Age 18 years or older. A birth certificate may be required to show proof of age. ²If either party is under 18, a court order from a probate or district court where the minor resides must be obtained before the marriage intentions can be filed.

Massachusetts is one of 8 states that have different ages of consent for men and women. The age of consent in Massachusetts is 16 for women and 18 for men. This is the age at which a person may consent to heterosexual sex with a partner over the age of 21. Massachusetts has no valid statute that specifically addressed the age of consent for homosexual relations.

Under the Massachusetts age of consent laws, the standard is higher when one partner holds a position of power over the other, such as an employer, teacher or a member of the clergy. In those cases, the age of consent is often 18 and may even be 21. In cases where a partner is mentally retarded or mentally ill, they may be ruled incompetent to give consent, regardless of age.

The penalties for violating the Massachusetts age of consent laws are very minor compared to other states. The crime of Criminal Inducement is committed when an offender convinces a person under the age of 18, “of chaste life” to have unlawful sexual intercourse. The penalty for Criminal Inducement is up to 3 years in state prison. In many other states, the sentence for a similar offense may be 10 to 20 years in state prison. A few even levy sentences of up to 50 years in state prison for similar offenses. In addition, Massachusetts is the only state that specifically draws the victim’s morality into the case.

You must be at least 18 years old to legally marry in Massachusetts. A birth certificate may be required to show proof of age. Unlike other states, parental permission is not sufficient to allow marriage of individuals who are 16 or 17 years old. If either party is under 18, a court order from a probate or district court where the minor lives must be obtained before the marriage intentions can be filed.

Chaste- primarily implies a refraining from acts or even thoughts or desires that are not virginal or not sanctioned by marriage vows

THINK ABOUT IT!!

Shay-Pari'e

Look at your military" hand book", if you can locate it.:rolleyes: I know exactly what I am talking about, you however do not.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Your mistake is in assuming that because someone is over the age of consent, the parent (in this case DSS) has no further authority over who they see.

You are wrong, wrong, wrong.

As long as she is still a minor, the parent or parental authority still controls who she can and cannot see, date or have contact with. NOTHING in the law says that once you cross the age of consent line, the CHILD can see anyone she wants and the parent can't do anything about it. Until she is 18, she sees and has contact with ONLY who her parent/parental authority agrees to allow her to see. Whether you're doing anything illegal or not.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Here is the thing -- DSS is the custodian of this child. NOT the foster mom and NOT the child's mother. DSS. And DSS has a right to keep you away from this child. Which they will do.

VeronicaLodge

Listen. This is a custodial situation. DSS is this CHILD'S custodian. They are telling you and the foster parents that they are not okay with a flipping 24 year old ADULT dating a 16 year old CHILD that is in their legal control. The foster mother will lose this girl to another home. YOU will have a restraining order placed on you and your CO will be notified of your ILLEGAL pursuit of this under-aged child.

Custodial interference
Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor

Give up the little girl and date a WOMAN your own age. Freak.
best post of the day :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">