• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

17 & 23 y.o's (wait until birthday or probation is up?)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xcalibojangles

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I know this probably isn't the right place to post this but I seen similar posts here....

My boyfriend has been convicted of satutory rape and is now on probation. I am 17 and he is 23. I was only 16 and he was 22 when he was convicted. But I was just wondering if he would be violating his probation by talking to me after my 18th birthday since I would be "legal" or do we have to wait until his probation is up?:confused:What is the name of your state?

CdwJava

If the terms of his probation prevent the two of you from talking, then your age doesn't matter.

Oh, and since it is obvious the two of you still communicate, remind him that he can go to jail if the communication is uncovered and prohibited by the terms of his probation.

- Carl

xcalibojangles

If the terms of his probation prevent the two of you from talking, then your age doesn't matter.

Oh, and since it is obvious the two of you still communicate, remind him that he can go to jail if the communication is uncovered and prohibited by the terms of his probation.

- Carl

:) yes we still do talk and his PO knows and he has gone to jail twice for violating probation and he is facing up to 4 years min. if he is caught talking to me. I was just wondering because we are planning on getting married either on my birthday or when ever its legal for us to talk, so there aren't anymore issues.

fairisfair

4 years, he is facing 4 years IN PRISON, don't you get it? Part of his probation is NO CONTACT with you. You must reeeeeeallllly loooooovvvvve him huh???:rolleyes:

CdwJava

xcalibojangles said:
:) yes we still do talk and his PO knows and he has gone to jail twice for violating probation and he is facing up to 4 years min. if he is caught talking to me. I was just wondering because we are planning on getting married either on my birthday or when ever its legal for us to talk, so there aren't anymore issues.
So, he's an idiot? Why would you want to hook up with a guy that has no more common sense than my 6-year-old?

Since he'll keep going back to jail, don't count on this condition of probation to be dropped. You'll have to wait until his probation is over or until you can pay for an attorney to go back to the court and ask that the restriction be dropped. Don't count on it, though.

Also, do yourself a favor and look up the statistics on these relationships and the likelihood that they will end in divorce ... and, the likelihood that the younger partner will become the victim of domestic violence. Of course, there is also the likelihood that in a few years he will decide that you don't look like the cute teen he fell for way back when, and his eyes will wander.

But, I am fully aware that nothing any of us have to write will matter because you love him and he loves you. So what if he goes back to jail for talking to his lover. So what if he has to wait 4 years before the two of you can go outside together in the daylight. So what if all his jail time prevents him from getting a decent job.

You're in love. Right?

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">