• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

17 charged as juvenile but tried in adult court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FFF3

What is the name of your state? Mississippi

My nephew was 17, a week away from his 18th bday when he was driving drunk and wrecked into another car. The ladies leg was broken. Thank god that was the most serious injury because it could have been much worse. But my nephew was charged as a juvenile and was tried in the adult court system and it has been 2 years and he is almost 20. He never went through a juvenile system period. He is now serving a 25 year sentence with 20 suspended. My question is why did he have to go through the adult system and never the juvenile system? And wouldn't with his age and given the crime wouldn't he have been tried as an adult to begin with?
Thank you,
FFF3

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">