• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

At 17, how would I move out of my house in MO to GF's mothers house in MA? Legally.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoard

I live in Missouri, and I am joining the Marine Corps after high-school graduation... meaning I only have ONE YEAR of civilian life.
I'm 17, a junior in HighSchool, and am finally old enough to move out! (In my state.)
I've been dating my girlfriend for two years now, and her mother has grown to love me. I expressed to her my desire to leave my house for a year, and she said that she would love to have me, but she is afraid. She's afraid that if I were to be injured, she could be sued, or could not act to help me in emergency. She is also worried that she could be accused of kidnapping me, in the event that I am unable to speak (injured.)
She would like to know about the possibilities of adoption (I think it's impossible) Or other procedures that would help alleviate these risks. Also, I'm not sure if I could even legally live there, as the age you are considered an adult is a year higher in MA.
Is there anything I can do to help this situation?

ecmst12

Get permission from your parents and have them assign guardianship to your girlfriend's mother. There is no other way.

Also, do you really want your girlfriend to become your sister? Yuck!

Educate yourself on birth control methods...and use several.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I live in Missouri, and I am joining the Marine Corps after high-school graduation... meaning I only have ONE YEAR of civilian life.
I'm 17, a junior in HighSchool, and am finally old enough to move out! (In my state.)
I've been dating my girlfriend for two years now, and her mother has grown to love me. I expressed to her my desire to leave my house for a year, and she said that she would love to have me, but she is afraid. She's afraid that if I were to be injured, she could be sued, or could not act to help me in emergency. She is also worried that she could be accused of kidnapping me, in the event that I am unable to speak (injured.)
She would like to know about the possibilities of adoption (I think it's impossible) Or other procedures that would help alleviate these risks. Also, I'm not sure if I could even legally live there, as the age you are considered an adult is a year higher in MA.
Adoption would require yoru parents' consent, and then you and your g/f would be in an incestous relationship.

Her Mom will not be able to enroll you in school, and you will not be able to enroll yourself.

Seriously - a foolish idea.

Hoard

Get permission from your parents and have them assign guardianship to your girlfriend's mother. There is no other way.

Also, do you really want your girlfriend to become your sister? Yuck!

Educate yourself on birth control methods...and use several.
HAHAHAHA!!! Good one, ol' top. But, I'm white and 6 feet tall, and she's Asian and claims to be 4' 11 3/4"... I don't think anyone would mix us up. XD
Trust me, I'm more than prepared to avoid any sticky situations such as that. But I see no moral nor ethical issues in that...
How would they go about assigning guardianship to her?
Also, how might I influence my parents to do this?

Hoard

Adoption would require yoru parents' consent, and then you and your g/f would be in an incestous relationship.

Her Mom will not be able to enroll you in school, and you will not be able to enroll yourself.

Seriously - a foolish idea.
We would not be incestuous, as far as I'm concerned. I'd be able to transfer schools now, before school even starts. My mother has already agreed to signing off on THAT. I think that guardianship could come after I have moved in with my girlfriend's mother.

Proserpina

We would not be incestuous, as far as I'm concerned. I'd be able to transfer schools now, before school even starts. My mother has already agreed to signing off on THAT. I think that guardianship could come after I have moved in with my girlfriend's mother.

You DO understand that this is a legal forum, yes?

:confused:

Hoard

You DO understand that this is a legal forum, yes?

:confused:
Do you think that legally, I would be at risk of prosecution for dating/marrying someone who is connected to me by a legal guardianship, rather than a blood relation? I think that -INCEST- laws apply to -CONSANGUINEOUS- sexual relations/marriages. Seeing as my girlfriend is 100% Chinese, and I have an abundant lacking of Chinese ancestors, I think I'm covered there. Unless my knowledge over the definition of incest as determined by the Supreme Court is as lacking as I believe it to be. [VERY]

Last edited:

CdwJava

No, you are not old enough to legally move out. You can do that at 18. The police might lack the authority to legally drag you back home, but your parents can ... and, you might also be subject to criminal penalties for being out of your parents' control.

IF your parents allow you to move out and are still supporting you in some way, you can go where they allow you.

Adoption won't happen unless a court removes your parents' parental rights. That ain't gonna happen because you want it to.

Your parents CAN grant temporary guaardianship to someone else of they wish. But, if you are engaged in sexual activity with someone under the age of consent, you and your girlfriend's mom could be in legal jeopardy as a result.

justalayman

No, you are not old enough to legally move out. You can do that at 18. The police might lack the authority to legally drag you back home, but your parents can ... and, you might also be subject to criminal penalties for being out of your parents' control.

IF your parents allow you to move out and are still supporting you in some way, you can go where they allow you.
actually, from what I am finding, in Missouri, this is not correct. A child can leave home at 17 and the police cannot force them to return to the parent's home. We have a similar law in Michigan that allows the same action.

From what I have found, the parents cannot force them to return home either.

Hoard

Your parents CAN grant temporary guaardianship to someone else of they wish. But, if you are engaged in sexual activity with someone under the age of consent, you and your girlfriend's mom could be in legal jeopardy as a result.
Just to elaborate, I'm 17, and my girlfriend is 19. Age of consent is not an issue, here. Truthfully, neither is sexual conduct. But thanks for pointing that out.
So, would I be under MO law if I moved up to MA? Until I have been there for long enough to be classified as a "resident" (which I think is two years?)
And, If I moved up there for a short amount of time, when I don't return home, could I simply request my mother pass on legal guardianship to my girlfriend's mother?
I think we may have a solution piling up here.

NellieBly

If her mother adopted you, you would be siblings in the eyes of the law, meaning you could never marry her. Why can't you grasp that premise?

When you enter the Marine Corps, you are not going to be able to argue these little technicalities. As a matter of fact, if you run away and have to get the police involved, the Marines may not even take you.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Both of yoru parents would have to consent. Hope they are cool with having a teen Dad for a son. I wouldn't be.

justalayman

Both of yoru parents would have to consent. Hope they are cool with having a teen Dad for a son. I wouldn't be.
consent for what? moving or the adoption?

since you referred to having a teen dad for a son, I would have to think it wasn't the adoption since OP would no longer be the current parents son, at least legally. That leaves the OP leaving home at 17 and as I stated earlier, in MO it appears a kid can leave the parents home at 17 with no recourse available for the parents.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Of course, that does not hold true in MA, and the cops here would have no restrictions on picking him up here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">