• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

17 in Texas, what to do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Texas
I am searching for a young man who I'm very concerned about. Here's the scoop...

This past weekend his stepfather was choking him as his mother watched and did nothing (there is more to this story but, he didn't start it). He was able to call the police after the parents had left.. he has not pressed charges as of yet.. he wanted to cool off first. He lives in a very disfuctional household. Mom is always on the internet meeting men (before she married #2, 2 months ago).. never talking to him, doing anything with him or even wondering how he is doing for years! His bfather doesn't want anything to do with him either because his new wife does not want to share the father.... After the stepfather thing he left his house... he has no where to go, he has tried talking to his mom but she only yells at him (it's always his fault in her eyes)... he has 3 months untill he turns 18 and graduates from H.S... The only thing she does continue to say is "stay away".

My question is... how does a 17 yo continue his education when he has no place to live? I have offered to fly him to my house, finish up school here, get him a part-time job and start healing up old wounds.... but, his mother has to sign papers and wont...... it's a catch 22..... any suggestions?

The boy right now is staying with an 18yo "friend"..... the friend said he could stay a few days... but that time is running out. The "other friends"... are the friends that all parents would not want their kids hanging around.

I found out after my post that mom would consider signing papers for him to go out of the city (not here w/me).. but is scared that bdad will take her back to court since they have joint custody and he was not notified. I think if she went ahead and allowed him to leave, it would take dad at least 60 days to get into the courts.... by then he would almost be 18... then dad would not have a case..... remember, dad does not want him or anything to do w/him..but, will not will not allow him to move out of the city...

I told this young man to contact the social worker at his school... I spoke to them yesterday and they have now classified him as homeless. I'm not sure how fast the wheels will turn but I hope I at least got them started for him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">